Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

best SUP for super light wind kiting

Forum for kitesurfers
BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: best SUP for super light wind kiting

Postby BWD » Wed May 08, 2013 11:04 pm

Thinking of some of these adventures, something to be said for a canoe. A tiny one person or big 2-3 person, with or without a friend and plenty of gear, maybe even a little trolling motor. Easy on and off a car, no trailer, allowed to put in almost anywhere....
I've kayaked upwind until wind came up, beached the yak and launched a kite, ridden around and eventually towed the yak back downwind with the kite. That was fun except for balancing gear while paddling the SOT yak.
Boards are cool but boats still come in handy for some things!

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed May 08, 2013 11:15 pm

canoes & kayaks cant suk I mean they do suck.

I have tried to pilot some of these small craft with my kites, they don't plane so you are stuck at hull speed. Do you know how slow hull speed is on a 10 foot canoe? Not fast!

Sup is way faster if the wind blows.

I dont want to paddle all day to get to the island. I want to kite there. Camp. Kite back.

And if the wind dies, not have to light a flare and hope the coast guard sees it. That's why the SUP is perfect for adventuring.

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Thu May 09, 2013 12:02 am

Just this past year, I got an inflatable Boardworks Shubu (Show up and blow up) 10' SUP. It inflates to 18 psi and gets really rigid. I've surfed it in knee high waves and standing river waves and taken it down class 2+ whitewater. It's about 34" wide so it's really stable and catches small waves easy. It's got a fin box for changing out and replacing fins. They make cheap deep fins and stubbies for rivers. It's even got D-rings up from for your camping gear. 3-piece breakdown paddle. Roll it up, put it in your car, or take it on the plane. Bonus: my wife never has issues taking it anywhere as she gets to use it too. I haven't tried to kite with it yet but look forward to attempts this summer and will try to report back. I'm sure it's not a high performance machine but it could be a candidate explorer vehicle.

windyway
Frequent Poster
Gear: .......
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby windyway » Thu May 09, 2013 1:50 am

I enjoy kiting in light wind on an oversized board.
But I don't get that excited about heavy SUPs with kites.
When you have a kite, a 9-6 x 32 SUP is way more than you need to accomplish the task.
Overkill !!

Instead, I go for a super sized shortboard.
My current choice is a Firewire Sweet Potato 6-0 x 23 x 50 liters.

Just like the SUP, I can stop dead an do the pivot turn.
But the difference is that I can still jamb a bottom turn,
and snap a cut off the lip. And find a ride on the tiniest of waves.

When I dive the kite the board jumps on to a plane.
Try that with the SUP,
and you will be walking Jesus while the SUP remains stationary.

Today I was out in ankle biter waves on a 9m.
Scorching upwind and riding every little hump.
The rest of the crew was struggling to have fun on their 12m kites.

Think big, but not too big !

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Thu May 09, 2013 3:08 am

edt wrote:tks dylan, though with 220 pounds of my weight + the gear means 190 liters is equivalent to your 120 liters, so 200liters still seems right if I need the capability of carrying 3 kites a cooler and an extra board with me. Maybe 190 liters would be ok.

I am really tempted to get that cheap pelican flow 106. It's entirely made of plastic like a kayak it has to be able to take a lot of abuse.
Cheap will work even though it won't look cool. This is my Coleman Banshee that cost me $189. I have had over 300Lbs on it without sinking. It only has one 8 inch fin, but it has four 1.5 inch deep X 1 inch wide tracks that run tip to tail. With a kite, it will hold an edge (which I never thought it would do) and can go upwind if the kite can fly far enough forward in the window (depending on how light the wind is). It also has a convenient dry storage area to put your stuff.
Paddleboard.jpg

Here is a pic of me experimenting with it last spring with a 9M kite in about 10kt winds.
9M on Paddleboard.jpg
I am not recommending this as a great board or anything like that, but if you already have something like this, or don't want to commit $800 or more on a nice SUP, this might work. I plan to experiment with this some more this summer when winds suck and will try to get some video (at least for humorous value if nothing else).

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Postby L0KI » Thu May 09, 2013 7:09 am

A buddy and I both used to kite with sit on top Necky 14' 10" kayaks and yes they go upwind, with a rear rudder system that you steer with your feet.
We had a 3.3M foil and we also had a 5.5M foil, we sat in them and kited with waist harnesses and sometimes just flew unhooked.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu May 09, 2013 11:19 am

Oldnbroken wrote:A buddy and I both used to kite with sit on top Necky 14' 10" kayaks and yes they go upwind, with a rear rudder system that you steer with your feet.
We had a 3.3M foil and we also had a 5.5M foil, we sat in them and kited with waist harnesses and sometimes just flew unhooked.
My buddy got in a kayak...other guy steering..used a 16 meter kite in 10 meter conditions..out of control. There is a video of it..good times.

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Thu May 09, 2013 1:23 pm

tautologies wrote:
Oldnbroken wrote:A buddy and I both used to kite with sit on top Necky 14' 10" kayaks and yes they go upwind, with a rear rudder system that you steer with your feet.
My buddy got in a kayak...other guy steering..used a 16 meter kite in 10 meter conditions..out of control. There is a video of it..good times.
Yea, I have thought about getting an old Hobie Cat and leaving the mast off of it. Don't know if I would hook the kite to me, or the boat, but with one person flying the kite and one steering, it could be pretty interesting. Success or fail it would surely be a great youtube moment. :lol:

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu May 09, 2013 3:00 pm

hobie cat would rock with a kite. I wouldn't mind paddling a hobie with a standup paddle either, they glide pretty good. Just dont think I can fit it on top of my honda civic :-(

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Thu May 09, 2013 3:23 pm

KYLakeKiter wrote:Yea, I have thought about getting an old Hobie Cat and leaving the mast off of it. Don't know if I would hook the kite to me, or the boat, but with one person flying the kite and one steering, it could be pretty interesting. Success or fail it would surely be a great youtube moment.
Last year, I was doing a long distance upwind ride on my raceboard with Dyno 18 in about 10 knots and came across some kite buddies sailing a hobie wave (small plastic hobie cat). They had taken the mast off and were flying a 13m Crossbow LW. I put my board on the beach and jumped on with them, now flying both the 13 and 18 from the boat :lol:

Even with 5 or 6 people onboard the little boat, we were still moving pretty quick. It was a little tough to stay on the boat when you dove the kite, because there isn't much to brace against, someone held my harness handle to keep me onboard. It was a pretty good time, but seems like it would become difficult in more wind. Wish we had a camera to get a video of the poor hobie wave with 31 m^2 of sail area :D

Return to “Kitesurfing”