Gear: none
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Which 2018 North Kite should I buy??

Postby samt9892 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:34 am

Hi guys

Just after a bit of advice really.

I'm an experienced windsurfer who just got into kiting last summer had a few lessons and can now just about ride comfortably upwind on both tacks.

I work at a North Centre and can get a rather good deal on the 2018 kit so will definitely be going with North.

Interested in the jumping side of kiting mostly and how much easier it is on light wind days where windsurfing can be a real slog and not much fun. I'm mainly a wave sailor windsurfing wise so when its really firing ill probably be out on that (plus definitely not good enough yet for anything too extreme kite wise). Freestyle and unhooked i'm not really that fussed, although it would be nice to have the option to try some basic stuff in the future

I was thinking of getting an evo 9 and 12 although i hear some negativity around the new move to the 3 strut design in 2018..
One of my friends suggested the 2018 neo saying he thinks its the best kite in the 2018 lineup? again thinking 9 and 12

oh i'm 80kgs and my local spot is camber sands UK (cross-on 15-30knots)

Unfortunately we don't do so many kite lessons and the only north kit I've got the chance to test is the 2017 neo which was pretty nice, Not sure if its any good for jumping though?

Just interested to hear peoples experiences really

Cheers
Sam

mkNY
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Tobay Beach, Oak Beach, Gilgo Beach
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne - Mauritius, Kite Beach - DR, Silver Sands - Barbados, Cape Hatteras - NC, Long Bay Beach - T&C
Style: Freeride\BigAir
Gear: 2020 Duotone Rebel 7/9/12
Shinn Bronq
Ride Engine
Woooooo

Re: Which 2018 North Kite should I buy??

Postby mkNY » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:31 am

Evo all the way. The 2018 are super easy to use, boost great and on the lighter 3 strut platform are decent in waves and lighter wind.

Been riding the 2018 12M for a month and love it.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:41 am

I’d say evo. Neo is a good kite but the evo sounds like it would fit better for what you are after,

Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Kitemanmuc » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:13 am

samt9892 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:34 am
Hi guys

Just after a bit of advice really.

I'm an experienced windsurfer who just got into kiting last summer had a few lessons and can now just about ride comfortably upwind on both tacks.

I work at a North Centre and can get a rather good deal on the 2018 kit so will definitely be going with North.

Interested in the jumping side of kiting mostly and how much easier it is on light wind days where windsurfing can be a real slog and not much fun. I'm mainly a wave sailor windsurfing wise so when its really firing ill probably be out on that (plus definitely not good enough yet for anything too extreme kite wise). Freestyle and unhooked i'm not really that fussed, although it would be nice to have the option to try some basic stuff in the future

I was thinking of getting an evo 9 and 12 although i hear some negativity around the new move to the 3 strut design in 2018..
One of my friends suggested the 2018 neo saying he thinks its the best kite in the 2018 lineup? again thinking 9 and 12

oh i'm 80kgs and my local spot is camber sands UK (cross-on 15-30knots)

Unfortunately we don't do so many kite lessons and the only north kit I've got the chance to test is the 2017 neo which was pretty nice, Not sure if its any good for jumping though?

Just interested to hear peoples experiences really

Cheers
Sam
Evo if you are planning on doing some surfing and unhooking. Rebel hands down if you are looking for a great kite to jump, ease of use and upwind ability.

SSK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins

Postby SSK » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:23 am

I'm mainly a wave sailor windsurfing wise so when its really firing ill probably be out on that
Let me tell you how this will play out. In a year from now your windsurf equipment and twin tip will be in the garage gathering dust. You will be kiting on a directional doing things in the waves you only wished you could do on a windsurfer. I know you think that is not going to happen, but we all thought that. Just sell all your windsurfing gear, get a directional, and get the wave kite.

Teabageppo
Frequent Poster
Style: Air style - Freeride
Gear: Rebel 10m 2017, nobile carbon NHP 2017, north nugget 2015.

Postby Teabageppo » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:08 am

I would buy a neo. Successive generations of development. It is now a superb kite, especially as you learn and develop.

The evo and rebel have had a serious change this year (which I do not like nor do the lads) so I’d wait until 2 or three gen before I’d even consider them. Such a shame the last two evo years were such awesome kites.

mkNY
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Tobay Beach, Oak Beach, Gilgo Beach
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne - Mauritius, Kite Beach - DR, Silver Sands - Barbados, Cape Hatteras - NC, Long Bay Beach - T&C
Style: Freeride\BigAir
Gear: 2020 Duotone Rebel 7/9/12
Shinn Bronq
Ride Engine
Woooooo

Postby mkNY » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:14 pm

Eppo, boy do you seem to hate the 2018 gen. I ve been riding EVOs for years and yes the 2018s are different, but not dramatically IMHO.

I have only flown the 12 so far and for me it’s definitely an improvement. Lighter on the bar but still enough feedback to tell exactly where the kite is. Better drift and low end then the previous gen and most importantly easier to go vertical and slightly better hangtime/glide.

On the negative side, the 2018 seems a bit less aggressive in lift and overall feel. So people who want a more radical experience will have to switch to the dice I would assume.

Seeing 2 riders use the 2018 EVOs at the KOTA shows it can handle massively overpowered conditions and still hold its shape. Was stoked to see them use EVOs and go huge :)

vela99
Frequent Poster
Weight: 74
Style: Wave Kitesurfing
Gear: North Neo 6, 8 & 11, Appletree Applepeeler 5 7" and Gong Lethal 5 6"

Postby vela99 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:53 pm

SSK wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:23 am
I'm mainly a wave sailor windsurfing wise so when its really firing ill probably be out on that
Let me tell you how this will play out. In a year from now your windsurf equipment and twin tip will be in the garage gathering dust. You will be kiting on a directional doing things in the waves you only wished you could do on a windsurfer. I know you think that is not going to happen, but we all thought that. Just sell all your windsurfing gear, get a directional, and get the wave kite.

Hi

based on the original poster's description I would say there are similarities to where I was some time ago. I windsurf in waves and wanted to complement with Kite for 10kn to 18kn or more wind if the waves are not that great. I now use North Neo 8 & 11 and I am very happy. My first kite was a Rebel and looking back I should have gone for Neo right away. I still windsurf and will continue windsurfing when conditions are good.

Go for a 100% wave kite, the Neo.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:50 pm

So here is my take on this and the 2018 Neo and Evo at least right now.

First off, the Neo has 4 different settings (2 front + 2 back) and the Evo has 3 (2 back). So it might take you a couple of rides just to try out those things. And when people compare kites, it isn't always apparent what setting they tried.

The Evo is pretty good in the waves and the Neo can be fairly good at jumping. The kites have a lot of overlap in that regards and in some things like water relaunch are so close, it doesn't make a difference.

The differences are:

The Evo has lighter bar pressure, particularly when used in the b position on the rear attachment (closest to the tip) (and C is in the middle for some odd reason). The Neo in the lightest bar pressure position especially when flown in the lower range is noticeably heavier. The Neo comes into its own when it is in the middle or just above in the wind range but still heavier.

The Evo has more wind range and sheeting the kite has more effect on the kite.

The Neo reacts to smaller inputs on the bar for turning.

The Evo takes more movement but because it is lighter on the bar, but it is easier to move quickly.

So both kites can be made to turn quite quickly.

I call the NEO, a little spicier if that makes sense.

On the Evo you create your own spice.

The Evo I find easier to get into an exact spot, the Neo, I got to keep my eye on a bit more close to the water.

The Neo is more point and turn and the Evo, a little tug to tighten the lines and turn.

I bought the NEO's early fall and I really like the kites but again, the bar pressure was somewhat of an issue for me (aging elbows) so I bought an 9m Evo and after trying it, I bought some more so now I have an overlapped NEO EVO quiver of kites.

I was in Baja recently and had Neo's out in really good wind with two or three clicks depower on the click bar and in that wind range they are a lighter bar pressure kite, and the Evo was still lighter.

So my bottom line,

lighter bar pressure, go Evo
more wind range, go Evo
you live in Mauritius and kite one eye everyday, Neo
you have a job and real waves, toss up
more reactive steering Neo
more precise steering Evo

I don't think there is a wrong decision but I think a quick fly with both kites should be on your bucket list.

JBo
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby JBo » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:54 pm

Currently on 2018 6 and 9m Neo mainly for wave riding and 12m Evo for all discipline. You will be fine on the 12m Evo with overall performance in wave, foiling and TT freestyle and freeride. Ease of water relaunch a plus! After flying the Neo for the last few years the Evo felt right at home with little adjustment. These 2 kites are siblings. Add the clicker bar and you will be totally dialed!! Also the Neo kites are amazing for foiling also.

Return to “Kitesurfing”