Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Overpowered 11m Crossbow Mystery!

Forum for kitesurfers
MarcThompson
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Barra da Tijuca; Praia Seca; Araruama; Arubinha; Búzios.
Favorite Beaches: Praia Seca
Style: Freeride
Gear: CORE Riot XR2 11, Slingshot Darko.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Overpowered 11m Crossbow Mystery!

Postby MarcThompson » Fri May 10, 2013 2:55 pm

Maybe it is a good thing to mail all brands reps that use rubber tubes and ask them to change the current material for translucent rubber. That way, one would be easily able to check the condittions of the inner lines.

Otherwise, it seems a good practice to start revising these lines from time to time (have to check my Ariush bar, by the way).

SSK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins

Postby SSK » Fri May 10, 2013 3:03 pm

Please post any photos, and the bar year. I have read that the 2012 bar wears the line quickly and this is improved in the 2013 bar. I have never compared the two side by side to see what was changed.

Miltsface
Frequent Poster

Postby Miltsface » Fri May 10, 2013 7:33 pm

immediately patent the design with the bar in this condition and advertise as follows:

Turns like an 11m with the power of a 15m!

Meansealevel
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Marthas Vineyard
Style: Freestyle/Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha kites
Crazy Fly

Postby Meansealevel » Thu May 30, 2013 12:47 pm

Hey everyone, sorry i sorta abandoned this post after i got my info. Ill post some pictures later this eve so you can all see, i was half thinking it could be a good thing that my 11m flew more like a 14m but unfortunately its so unpredictable. I still cant believe that black rubber line held up, i was doing small jumps and rode it 3 times like that before i finally realized......

Anyways on to the next phase of this debacle, fixing the prob. I got a new center line from a friend but unfortunately its an older center line and there is no channel running through it for the IDS line. So my new question is does anyone know if there is a good way to use an old center line with an IDS system style bar? It looks like i can get the IDS line out of the old center line by cutting off the little ring and just pulling it through, of course i would have to resecure the ring somehow to the new one but my bigger question is, is it possible to even keep the IDS if i use the older styler center line? It looks to me like all i have to do is find a way to secure the IDS line so it moves freely but doesnt just hang around.... I personally was thinking maybe if i just zip tied it to the new center line and of course ran it out under the quick release like its supposed to be nthat should work. ANyways ill have to post some pics later of the situation, thanks a lot for the feedback!!

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Thu May 30, 2013 2:44 pm

If I were you, I'd consider 2 options:
1. Pull the busted cord out of your original tube. Get some spectra cord and re-lace it through the tube. You might have to thread it with some smaller diameter line first as a pull cord. Re-trim the bar-and-line assembly to equal lengths (or whatever Cabrinha is doing now). Kite!
2. Use your new old depower line and rig the IDS line outside. That is just how the first version was that Cab produced. I rigged an old bar that way to fly an Ozone foil 5th line. It'll work fine (albeit not as nicely dressed) SO LONG as there is nothing to snag or impede the bar travel down the IDS line. Rig and test it in light-moderate conditions. Kite!

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu May 30, 2013 3:46 pm

Meansealevel wrote:Hey everyone, sorry i sorta abandoned this post after i got my info. Ill post some pictures later this eve so you can all see, i was half thinking it could be a good thing that my 11m flew more like a 14m but unfortunately its so unpredictable. I still cant believe that black rubber line held up, i was doing small jumps and rode it 3 times like that before i finally realized......

Anyways on to the next phase of this debacle, fixing the prob. I got a new center line from a friend but unfortunately its an older center line and there is no channel running through it for the IDS line. So my new question is does anyone know if there is a good way to use an old center line with an IDS system style bar? It looks like i can get the IDS line out of the old center line by cutting off the little ring and just pulling it through, of course i would have to resecure the ring somehow to the new one but my bigger question is, is it possible to even keep the IDS if i use the older styler center line? It looks to me like all i have to do is find a way to secure the IDS line so it moves freely but doesnt just hang around.... I personally was thinking maybe if i just zip tied it to the new center line and of course ran it out under the quick release like its supposed to be nthat should work. ANyways ill have to post some pics later of the situation, thanks a lot for the feedback!!
Sounds like you may have a 2009 powerline. They started off in 09 with the IDS line going through the bar beside the PU covered powerline but the IDS line was wearing too much so they made an IDS line with a PU covering to reduce the wear.

Meansealevel
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Marthas Vineyard
Style: Freestyle/Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha kites
Crazy Fly

Postby Meansealevel » Fri May 31, 2013 12:24 am

I dont care what it looks like but i do want to keep the IDS line, so I'm perfectly happy having the IDS line outside of the main line just hanging loosely next to the main line..... NOW my only problem and it may be a stupid one but i cant get the IDS ring where you attach the leash, out of the existing main line. I watched the video and my ring is not connected to the IDS line like the one in the video is.... its doesnt just slip off like that. My IDS line goes through the ring then up through the main line rubber conduit and keeps going to the bungy section where it does the same thing, I'm not sure how you are supposed to get that little ring off, but once i figure that out i understand what needs to happen. Any suggestions? Can i just cut the line down near the ring and tie some special knot to re-secure it?

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri May 31, 2013 8:12 am

Meansealevel wrote:I dont care what it looks like but i do want to keep the IDS line, so I'm perfectly happy having the IDS line outside of the main line just hanging loosely next to the main line..... NOW my only problem and it may be a stupid one but i cant get the IDS ring where you attach the leash, out of the existing main line. I watched the video and my ring is not connected to the IDS line like the one in the video is.... its doesnt just slip off like that. My IDS line goes through the ring then up through the main line rubber conduit and keeps going to the bungy section where it does the same thing, I'm not sure how you are supposed to get that little ring off, but once i figure that out i understand what needs to happen. Any suggestions? Can i just cut the line down near the ring and tie some special knot to re-secure it?
Cut through the ring and use a smaller ring?

I'm surprised that the ring is too large to detach - that would be very unusual.

Return to “Kitesurfing”