Forum for kitesurfers
Outside
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Request to travelling kiters

Postby Outside » Sun May 12, 2013 1:52 am

1. Please ask what the rules are at any beach you visit.

Should you ignore #1 and not know what the rules are, please do not argue with the local kiters when they inform you what you are doing is wrong. If they say "Do not do XXX," please do not reply "I am doing XXX for YYY" or "I am doing XXX because of ZZZ," or worse "I have kited all over the world and have always done XXX and will continue to do so, here and everywhere else."

The rules you failed to inquire about probably clearly indicate you should not do XXX.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Re: Request to travelling kiters

Postby gmb13 » Sun May 12, 2013 2:04 am

Well said dude!

I would be happy if even only half of the tourist Kiters coming to Fuerte would do that.

--
Gunnar

greginkw
Medium Poster
Local Beach: St Augustine and Matanzas inlet Florida.
Smathers beach Key West.
Gear: Everything I can get my hands on.
Brand Affiliation: Airush, F-One, Ozone, Slingshot, Cabrinha, Caution and Wainman.
Axis, Crazy Fly.

Postby greginkw » Sun May 12, 2013 1:26 pm

You just gotta love the idiots that when they are doing something stupid and you talk to them about it they tell you, that it is okay for them to do those things because they are an "instructor" and know what they are doing.

Ozzie
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hua Hin, Thailand
Favorite Beaches: Hua Hin
Gokova
Alaçatı
Gokceada
Boracay
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade 10
North Rebel 13
Ozone Zephyr
Cabrinha Spectrum
Cabrinha Tronic

Postby Ozzie » Mon May 13, 2013 4:47 am

Just like work place accidents which are done by highly experienced staff due to over confidence. Begineers are mostly sure footed.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon May 13, 2013 6:37 am

Not directly related to this thread at all but

Education

"I am riding a wave on the way in , so unless you are in danger in some way regardless of port/starboard, please can you keep clear so I can get on and hack this wave to death - then you can have a go too.."

"Cutting in on me to get the best set wave a second time in a session will take you off my christmas card list"

Riders pimping their fave spots/wave for fame/sponsorship/whatever - I guess people will learn the effects of taking the rough with the smooth.

John Doe
Medium Poster
Gear: The cheap kind.

Postby John Doe » Tue May 14, 2013 1:20 am

+1 This should be placed as an "Announcement" at the top of the forum.

ALL traveling kiters need to do this. It's not a "localism" thing - in spots where access is threatened or there is any kind of access issues, sketchy launch or conditions, it's the people that kite there every day that know what the issues-dangers-rules are.

I'm a "regular" at a pretty popular waveriding spot. The thing is, all the guys have figured out a way that works best for everyone. Everyone that's a regular follows the same right-of-way rules, and everyone works together & gets along. It's only when someone comes in who is used to a different set of rules, that there are problems.

It's actually an advantage to visiting kiters to follow the rules set at my spot because if they have right-of-way, no one is going to get on their wave, period.

I know it's just a case of different rules at different spots, different things people are used to, that causes collisions or problems. Be humble, ask what the "rules" are wherever you go & help preserve access & improve safety for everyone :D

JD

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Tue May 14, 2013 10:58 pm

great post. worth a bump

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue May 14, 2013 11:29 pm

Is there anywhere in the world where the rider on the wave does not have right of way of one coming out (with exception of dangerous circumstance)?

we
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Huguenot, Atlantic Beach Jax
Favorite Beaches: Vieux Fort, St. Lucia

Postby we » Wed May 15, 2013 12:57 am

Do local "rules" override International Right of Way (COLREGs) ?

John Doe
Medium Poster
Gear: The cheap kind.

Postby John Doe » Wed May 15, 2013 1:26 am

we wrote:Do local "rules" override International Right of Way (COLREGs) ?
Yes. A common problem in the surf on the west coast of the U.S. is that visitors believe the, "kiter heading out through the surf" has right of way. Regulars at spots simply wait a few seconds for the kiter on the wave to finish their ride, then proceed back out. It works for vistors as well, if they're riding the wave they have right of way. It's fair to everyone.

A kiter on the wave, at a waveriding spot where there is a clearly defined break (meaning a point or a reef with a peeling wave) has right of way nearly always, except if a person is down on the inside.

Return to “Kitesurfing”