Medium Poster
Local Beach: Emerald Isle
Gear: TBD
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New, lightweight rider looking for gear selection help

Postby kooshball » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:11 pm

I have recently started kiting and after taking my first lesson have been addicted! I have taken four lessons and am progressing well, crashes are infrequent and it is now time to get some gear and keep practicing.

I am in NC where the winds are somewhat light, so I thing that the most encountered wind speed will be in the 13-17 mph range in the Emerald Isle area and a bit higher in cape hatteras.

I would like to get a kite or two that would cover the above mentioned range and get me into the upper 20mph range. Can that wide of a range be covered with two kites?

I am an athletic 145-150 lb guy and so I assume that all the wind range charts mfgs post are going to be off for my weight. I also know from my time on the water so far with several different kites that each make / model can pull and handle much differently.

With that said, I am looking for specific recommendations of make / model kites as well as sizes to get me out on the water.

Thx

icebird
Frequent Poster

Re: New, lightweight rider looking for gear selection help

Postby icebird » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:46 pm

Since you a new to kiting, you will be challenged in the lower range, it's difficult in light wind.

A 12m SLE kite of most any brand will cover the basics, but at the upper end of the range a 9m kite will be useful, but start with the 12m. Also get a larger beginner friendly board around 135x41 or so without too much rocker or so, and keep it later on for light wind once you start to feel it is a bit big for you. Avoid kites with a heavy pull such as North Evo, they work better for heavier riders.

If you only go for 12m be careful to sit out when it is too much rather than saying - but I only have this kite. As a single kite solution a 10 or 11m can work, but you will loose a lot of light days. 10m is a lot more fun than a 12m.

More experienced kiters can get by with a smaller kite, and perhaps go for a dedicated lightwind kite for when it is really light.

Rough guideline as kites have different pull, but its not an exact science - it just moves the days you get out a little.

You ask for specific models - it's a bit difficult without knowing where you want to go and how long you will keep the kite, and I haven't necessarily tried the gear I think would be the best match, but here is a list of gear I would consider:

North Rebel, North Dice, Ozone C4, F-One Bandit, Best TS, Naish Park. The Rebel is more for jumping, the others will progress into freestyle once you get a smaller board with pop. Park and Dice also progress into wave riding.

Board - I'd probably have a look at Shinn Red, there are many others, but I hear good things about this one. It won't be the best to progess on for freestyle, but could keep you happy in lighter wind.

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:01 pm

kooshball wrote:I have recently started kiting and after taking my first lesson have been addicted! I have taken four lessons and am progressing well, crashes are infrequent and it is now time to get some gear and keep practicing.

I am in NC where the winds are somewhat light, so I thing that the most encountered wind speed will be in the 13-17 mph range in the Emerald Isle area and a bit higher in cape hatteras.

I would like to get a kite or two that would cover the above mentioned range and get me into the upper 20mph range. Can that wide of a range be covered with two kites?

I am an athletic 145-150 lb guy and so I assume that all the wind range charts mfgs post are going to be off for my weight. I also know from my time on the water so far with several different kites that each make / model can pull and handle much differently.

With that said, I am looking for specific recommendations of make / model kites as well as sizes to get me out on the water.

Thx
I think instead of asking about kites and sizes on this forum, why not ask the school where you took lessons or local shop. They will give you the best info for the area. they will also be the best people to help if you have a problem or warrantee issue. The problem with this forum is that people pimp what they ride whether it is best for you or not with a few exceptions. Your first kite should be easy to use, easy relaunch, excellent safety, and have good range. After you have been riding a while, you will demo kites and boards and make you own decision.

For instance, Carolina Kitesurfing in Emerald Isle sells Slingshot and Ocean Rodeo. If you go with them, try the SS Rally or OR Prodigy. Talking to the locals may help too. Try to stay away from specific kites that point to a specific riding style. As for the kites listed above. I would stay away from the Ozone C4 as my first kite. The Dice , Bandit and TS would be ok. As for the board, it sounds as if Icebird has not ridden the Shinn board but will recommend it anyway.

At for your weight and for those winds, find a 12m and an 8m. This should get you @ 12-25 knots. Try to stay within a 4 meter gap between kite sizes in the lighter winds such as 10 -25 knots. After that you may want a closer gap. As for boards, it is easier to start with a little bigger board (145cm - 155cm) as you first and then get a smaller board128cm - 133cm as you progress. Go a little longer if you start to wear boots.

Know when to say when, don't go out farther than you are willing to swim back, don't be that guy, stay safe and have fun!

kooshball
Medium Poster

Postby kooshball » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:55 am

I actually posted here because of the issues at the local shops. It seems that everyone promotes whoever's gear they ride for (understandably so) or whichever one they are overstocked on or get the best deal on (also understandable, it is a business after all).

I figured I would get less biased opinions here but there does seem to be consensus on the 8&12m sizes, generally speaking.

I should have also mentioned that I used to wakeboard, nothing fancy with ticks but I do know how to board.

My goal is to have a well rounded setup so I can play in the waves or in the flat water of the sounds depending on wind direction and stay upwind easily.

Thx for the replies so far

noel wrote:
kooshball wrote:I have recently started kiting and after taking my first lesson have been addicted! I have taken four lessons and am progressing well, crashes are infrequent and it is now time to get some gear and keep practicing.

Thx
I think instead of asking about kites and sizes on this forum, why not ask the school where you took lessons or local shop. They will give you the best info for the area. they will also be the best people to help if you have a problem or warrantee issue. The problem with this forum is that people pimp what they ride whether it is best for you or not with a few exceptions. Your first kite should be easy to use, easy relaunch, excellent safety, and have good range. After you have been riding a while, you will demo kites and boards and make you own decision.

For instance, Carolina Kitesurfing in Emerald Isle sells Slingshot and Ocean Rodeo. If you go with them, try the SS Rally or OR Prodigy. Talking to the locals may help too. Try to stay away from specific kites that point to a specific riding style. As for the kites listed above. I would stay away from the Ozone C4 as my first kite. The Dice , Bandit and TS would be ok. As for the board, it sounds as if Icebird has not ridden the Shinn board but will recommend it anyway.

At for your weight and for those winds, find a 12m and an 8m. This should get you @ 12-25 knots. Try to stay within a 4 meter gap between kite sizes in the lighter winds such as 10 -25 knots. After that you may want a closer gap. As for boards, it is easier to start with a little bigger board (145cm - 155cm) as you first and then get a smaller board128cm - 133cm as you progress. Go a little longer if you start to wear boots.

Know when to say when, don't go out farther than you are willing to swim back, don't be that guy, stay safe and have fun!

flybykite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Nitinat Lake, BC, Canada
Mui Ne, Vietnam
Style: Old School
Gear: Shinn Monk
V8K Ozone Edges 7&9

Postby flybykite » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:49 am

I'm the same weight as you and I started with a 9 &12 rebel and a North x-ride 142x42. For me it was a perfect 2 kite. I rode mostly 12-28 knots comfortably. The Ozone Catalyst would be another good choice. Every brand has an all rounder, freeride model. Choose any of these and learn the kite well. Post here and let us know what you find.
Happy shopping!

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:51 am

At your weight I think a 9 and 12 would work well. You will need a true lightwind board to get the most out of the 12 in light wind. You do not need a door at your size but something at least 45cm wide would do the trick. Crazy fly All around , or litewave wing 154 are two I have ridden and really like.

I see lots of 2012 Cabrhina vectors and Slingshot Rpms at great prices online. Both are excellent user freindly kites.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:54 am

Just a few basic points in case you are coming at this with any misconceptions:

All modern kites go upwind well

All modern boards go upwind well

All modern kites have similar safety mechanisms

All modern kites relaunch fairly easily given enough wind

All kites can be used in the waves or in flat water

All boards can be used in the waves or in flat water

All that said, all kites and boards feel a little different, and some are definitely geared toward heavier riders. Some kites relaunch faster and easier, some kites go upwind a little easier, some boards handle choppy water a little easier, etc.

The main thing you need to look at is your wind ranges. I'm also 150 lbs and I ride a 12m kite from about 10 knots (if i'm desperate, usually dont ride until it's 13-14+) up to 20 knots. Then a 9m from 18 knots to 30 knots plus. In Florida you don't need anything smaller than that, you will use it once or twice a year.

12m and 8m is a pretty large gap but it can be done. I would ideally shoot for a 12/9/7, or 14/10/8, 11/8/6, something along those lines. Pick your main size first (for me it is a 12m, if you live in Maui it might be an 8m) and go from there.

For a board you will be fine with anything as long as it DOESN'T say "wakestyle". Those boards are closer to wakeboards and will make it more difficult to learn to ride upwind until you know what to do with it, or unless you live in a very windy spot where you always have lots of power.

PS - cape hatteras is one of the best places to kite in the US. Very consistent wind most of the year and flat, knee-deep water to learn in.

kooshball
Medium Poster

Postby kooshball » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:07 am

dyyylan wrote:Just a few basic points in case you are coming at this with any misconceptions:

All modern kites go upwind well

All modern boards go upwind well

All modern kites have similar safety mechanisms

All modern kites relaunch fairly easily given enough wind
What defines modern? I am also looking at used gear, and have been told to try and target kite newer than 2011. Assuming the gear is in good shape, where is the threshold for modern gear?

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:39 pm

Yeah 2011 and up is a great place to start

icebird
Frequent Poster

Postby icebird » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:16 am

A really large board is easier for the early stages of beginner life, and may work in very light wind as well, or it can be sold.

A slightly larger board than normal can be used later in a two board setup that is still fun when the wind gets light. It is a bit more difficult in the early stages.

Comes down to personal preference.

Return to “Kitesurfing”