Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 86
Local Beach: Elafonissos-Peloponnese-Greece
Style: Freeride
Gear: Begginer-intermediate
Brand Affiliation: None

TT choice for less wind but always chop

Postby Madraoulas » Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:04 am

Hallo I am 54yo, 80kg....I have a Shinn Monk Mental 135x42 (which is perfect).
When the wind drops (but always chop even for light wind)I use my F-One One 148x45 which is absolutely crap for me....is bulky, easily nose dive, hard on legs, easily ovepowered
So I want to change the F-one and buying another bigger TT when I can't use the Monk
I don't know which
What is your opinion?

I'm thinking....
1)a more freestyle 142x43 like NHP Nobile?
2) Shinn Monk 140x44?
3) Shinn King Gee 146x46? or RRD Placebo 145x45? (These two are almost like 148x45 One?)
4).....?
Thank you guys

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Re: TT choice for less wind but always chop

Postby alford » Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:05 pm

Going up about 10cm from your 135 seems about right to me. I've heard good things about the Ozone Infinity, a light wind board but definitely not a door type board.
Nomad also makes great light wind boards. Another one to consider for a smooth ride and a total change of pace from your 135 is an Ocean Rodeo Mako 165. It's not a light wind specific board but does get going pretty early. Don't let its length put you off, it's a fun and surfy feeling board that'll give a comfortable ride in chop and keep things fresh for you. I wouldn't recommend the Mako 150 however, it's a great board but power hungry and will be too close to your 135.
Good luck!
These users thanked the author alford for the post:
Madraoulas (Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:56 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Madraoulas
Medium Poster

Postby Madraoulas » Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:41 pm

Thank you very much alford...but yes I'm afraid the length...I'll 'see...thank you again

oldkiter
Frequent Poster

Postby oldkiter » Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:17 pm

Do not usually make gear suggestions because so many variables.
But I have been in the same situation for years and have bought and tried many "light wind board".
Recently got Litewave Wing 155cm and it is really doing the job!
Had it out on ocean now 5-6 times from 8-12 mph to yesterday in about 17-19 mph(range of 15-22 mph).
I only kite open ocean so always swell, waves and chop.
The board really works out for even low wind TT kiting. Out once in 8-12 mph and 15m single strut Solo.
I am apx 72kg.
Good luck!
These users thanked the author oldkiter for the post:
Madraoulas (Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:55 pm)

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:56 pm

alford wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:05 pm
Going up about 10cm from your 135 seems about right to me. I've heard good things about the Ozone Infinity, a light wind board but definitely not a door type board.
Nomad also makes great light wind boards. Another one to consider for a smooth ride and a total change of pace from your 135 is an Ocean Rodeo Mako 165. It's not a light wind specific board but does get going pretty early. Don't let its length put you off, it's a fun and surfy feeling board that'll give a comfortable ride in chop and keep things fresh for you. I wouldn't recommend the Mako 150 however, it's a great board but power hungry and will be too close to your 135.
Good luck!
I'm 80kg/176lb and have an Ozone Infinity V2 144x47. Not a door, manoeuvres and works like a regular twintip, it's my go to board in shallow water when the wind drops below 15 knots. Kitesurf in open ocean (UK Solent).
These users thanked the author iriejohn for the post (total 2):
Madraoulas (Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:40 am) • X-Fly (Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:30 am)
Rating: 6.06%

SMJ
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic, ION.

Postby SMJ » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:10 am

alford wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:05 pm
Another one to consider for a smooth ride and a total change of pace from your 135 is an Ocean Rodeo Mako 165. It's not a light wind specific board but does get going pretty early. Don't let its length put you off, it's a fun and surfy feeling board that'll give a comfortable ride in chop and keep things fresh for you. I wouldn't recommend the Mako 150 however, it's a great board but power hungry and will be too close to your 135.
Good luck!
I 100% agree with everything alford said about the Mako 165 and Mako 150 (I own both). I think the Mako 165 fits your requirements perfectly, and there's no better board at busting up chop. I can't say enough good things about the Mako 165. There are a couple things I'm not crazy about (which prompted me to buy the next board mentioned below). It's a very heavy board. With the rounded tip & tail it's no good for load-and-pop tricks, but works just fine for sent jumps.

My other go-to light wind board is a Core Fusion 154. The Fusion 154 rides much more like a classic sporty carbon twintip; you can do load-and-pop tricks with it, ride toe-side, and boost big. The Fusions (in all sizes) also handle chop extremely well, but nothing is going to beat a Mako in busting chop.

For me personally on the lighter wind days, I'm on the Fusion 154 95% of the time now. I still reach for the Mako 165, however, if I'm going out in swells / surf bigger than 2 or 3 feet and don't plan on doing any load-and-pop tricks.
These users thanked the author SMJ for the post:
Madraoulas (Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:40 am)

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:12 am

I never tried the Mako but it’s always referred as the chop eater. I ride a door al LW tt when it’s too shallow to foils which is by far the best chop eater for sure. But that was not the question. G
These users thanked the author knyfe for the post:
Madraoulas (Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:40 am)

Madraoulas
Medium Poster

Postby Madraoulas » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:50 am

Thank you all of you guys for your answers!!!!!
Maybe I am not doing something well but as I mentioned first place "When the wind drops (but always chop even for light wind)I use my F-One One 148x45 which is absolutely crap for me....is bulky, easily nose dive, hard on legs, easily ovepowered"...is f-one One 148x45 so bad or I don't really need a lightwind board but something between my Monk 135x42 and a smaller than a lightwind board (for examle less than 45cm in width and less 142-144cm in length)..I'm in confusion

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:52 am

I ride a Nomad Wave twin tip as my main board. Same shape as a Mako but with a standard fin setup, much lighter and with much more flex in the tips. I wouldn’t call these board shapes light wind boards though, although being custom built you could go for any size and amount of flex - Simon from Nomad would discuss your needs and make a board specific to you.
Despite the similar shape I didn’t like the Mako at all when I tried it - found it heavy and very dead feeling. I guess it’s an acquired taste.
Nomad Aldo make amazing light wind specific boards that still work well in chop due to really good flex in the tips.

Madraoulas
Medium Poster

Postby Madraoulas » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:14 am

andylc wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:52 am
I ride a Nomad Wave twin tip as my main board. Same shape as a Mako but with a standard fin setup, much lighter and with much more flex in the tips. I wouldn’t call these board shapes light wind boards though, although being custom built you could go for any size and amount of flex - Simon from Nomad would discuss your needs and make a board specific to you.
Despite the similar shape I didn’t like the Mako at all when I tried it - found it heavy and very dead feeling. I guess it’s an acquired taste.
Nomad Aldo make amazing light wind specific boards that still work well in chop due to really good flex in the tips.
Hallo andylc I also have a Nomad c-wave 142x41 so I know it's very good board but I can't afford so much money for another one Nomad ..thank you

Return to “Kitesurfing”