Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How come only Whitey gets the sponsorships?

Forum for kitesurfers
Osprey1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Golden Gardens, Richmond Beach, Double Bluff
Favorite Beaches: Double Bluff, The Hatchery, Damon Point
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Board Riding Maui
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

How come only Whitey gets the sponsorships?

Postby Osprey1 » Fri May 17, 2013 5:56 pm

With a few exceptions like Dre, Mitu and some others it seems only rich white kids are getting kite sponsorships and coverage in magazines. Go to DR, Brazil, Vietnam, etc and you will see local kids on old kites throwing down harder than most "pros" on new gear. For example doing slims, mobe 5s and other harder tricks both ways and with style. How come these locals aren't getting more recognition?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: How come only Whitey gets the sponsorships?

Postby edt » Fri May 17, 2013 6:05 pm

because only rich people can afford to give up their day job and travel around the world for the company because sponsorship doesn't pay enough to live on?

wrogu
Frequent Poster

Postby wrogu » Fri May 17, 2013 6:30 pm

From what I know neither Pastor nor Jacobs were ritch kids - from what I remember they had to 'earn' their gear first. BS.

mz16
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby mz16 » Fri May 17, 2013 6:47 pm

Its a good point, but I think part of sponsoring someone is also about them being a spokesman for the brand. Whitey gets chosen a lot because a lot of the time he speaks English and that is probably the most common language for the kite community (see kiteforum.com). Many "locals" dont speak english on a level that will make it interesting to listen to in the videos and promos.

A good example is Neto from Cumbuco, who was always an amazing ripper, but i think his improved English has made him much more marketable by L.F. moreso than his amazing style. Also if you havent seen him ride you are missing out.

Unfortunately even the ones that get chosen frequently sound like total idiots when they talk about the gear or kiting, but i suspect that might be a side effect of hard crashes.

Osprey1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Golden Gardens, Richmond Beach, Double Bluff
Favorite Beaches: Double Bluff, The Hatchery, Damon Point
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Board Riding Maui

Postby Osprey1 » Fri May 17, 2013 6:55 pm

Post subject: Re: How come only Whitey gets the sponsorships? Reply with quote
Its a good point, but I think part of sponsoring someone is also about them being a spokesman for the brand. Whitey gets chosen a lot because a lot of the time he speaks English and that is probably the most common language for the kite community (see kiteforum.com). Many "locals" dont speak english on a level that will make it interesting to listen to in the videos and promos.

A good example is Neto from Cumbuco, who was always an amazing ripper, but i think his improved English has made him much more marketable by L.F. moreso than his amazing style. Also if you havent seen him ride you are missing out.

Unfortunately even the ones that get chosen frequently sound like total idiots when they talk about the gear or kiting, but i suspect that might be a side effect of hard crashes.
LOL.

Fun to stir the pot here

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Fri May 17, 2013 7:58 pm

brownie gets soccer and baseball, whitey gets kitesurfing, skiing, and snowboarding, and blackie gets everything else.

does that clear it up?

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Fri May 17, 2013 8:23 pm

mz16 wrote:Its a good point, but I think part of sponsoring someone is also about them being a spokesman for the brand. Whitey gets chosen a lot because a lot of the time he speaks English and that is probably the most common language for the kite community (see kiteforum.com). Many "locals" dont speak english on a level that will make it interesting to listen to in the videos and promos.
Mmmhhh, you mean: 'Hello, my name is [name here]. I'm a professional kiteboarder.' ?

Those locals would contribute in their country they are living in, so I believe that is not really a valid argument. Maybe by the kite companies but then they should think outside the square.

Cheers
Caesar 8)

mz16
Frequent Poster

Postby mz16 » Fri May 17, 2013 8:37 pm

Agree with you Caesar, agree with you totally. Just trying to wrap my head around why they do the things they do...

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri May 17, 2013 10:02 pm

I think to get a sponsorship in any sport you need to get out there and be noticed. compete or proliferate yourself on the internet which skilleds stunts. competing and or uploading amaising video footage cost money. Money I guess your average Vietnamese ripper does not have. remember its different world over there. their entire family may only earn $200 per month.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri May 17, 2013 10:02 pm

I think to get a sponsorship in any sport you need to get out there and be noticed. compete or proliferate yourself on the internet which skilleds stunts. competing and or uploading amaising video footage cost money. Money I guess your average Vietnamese ripper does not have. remember its different world over there. their entire family may only earn $200 per month.

Return to “Kitesurfing”