All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Tangled lines when launching/relaunching
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:27 am 
Rare Poster

So i have had a few instances when drift launching kites:

the method i have used is to lay out all the lines and rig up as usual, then wind it all up on the bar to walk out to the water. Once in deep enough i unwind and let the kite out and pull it into launch position (standard stuff really)

sometimes when i launch, one of the steering lines will be wrapped round the side of one of the front lines. The kite was rigged properly on the beach and it did not flip over when attempting to bring the kite into launch position??

Has anyone else had this, and i guess my question is can the lines be untangled without a time consuming re rig (i have heard of people doing this after flipping a kite and becoming tangled)

Ive tried every other method of launching: cant launch off beach - shells smash leading edge in, Kite stake - kite wont sit still, tacos etc so i would like to sort this problem.

Still be good to know peoples untangling techniques as well

cheerz

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Tangled lines when launching/relaunching
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:50 am 
Very Frequent Poster

First thing is to try to avoid it in the first place.

One thing I found when drift launching is that if you drift launch the kite with the nose toward you and then try to turn the kite so the underside of the kite is toward you, you MUST make sure that the furthest away rear line goes under the kite, otherwise you will end up with what you are getting.

Keeping the furthest rear line slack and in the water while turning the kite avoids that problem.

There are other possible causes and the best way of sorting it after it happens will depend on what happened and what type of kite it is.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:52 pm 
Frequent Poster

I suggest that you put the leading edge of the kite over your head and rest it on your shoulders as you walk out in the water unrolling your lines. If the LE is off the water you can see the lines drift away as you walk upwind and make sure nothing is caught. If you clip your leash to the loop on the LE the you have both hands free and the kite is secure. Once you are ready to launch make sure you flood the canopy well with water before letting go, then walk away from the kite quickly to get line tension ASAP. This is a reliable method for me but if its really windy or choppy I always prefer an assisted launch for safetys sake.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:03 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

On the very rare occasion when I have to do these I drop an anchor (old brake rotor) in the water with a bouy line, clip the nose on it and flood canopy. Then walk down wind with the bar. Once lines are out I check the lines w kite upwind. If there is a problem the bar can be inverted and rolled. Once ready, I carefully walk back with bar hooked into harness, unclip kite and let drift and go. Not sure if this is feasible for you.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:14 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

completely unhook so if you drop the bar the kite floats away. grab the two center lines to hold the kite and then pass the bar thru the lines with the other hand. sometimes works, sometimes the kite gets away and you have to chase it. If the wind is blowing too strong to hold down the kite with just one hand you have to come to shore and untangle it.

Oh and to figure out which way you need to pass the bar, go ahead and hook in and let the kite drift back into the water launch position so you can see how you have to pass it. then unhook unleash and pass the bar thru the lines.

Remember the kite flies perfectly fine with the lines twisted like this! So another option I sometimes use is to kite out on a sandbar, set the kite down there and fix the lines. You can kite with the lines twisted like this it doesn't hurt anything, but it does wear out the lines quicker. If you are having a quick session, less than an hour or so I would just fly it with the lines twisted.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:23 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Technohedge wrote:
sometimes when i launch, one of the steering lines will be wrapped round the side of one of the front lines. The kite was rigged properly on the beach and it did not flip over when attempting to bring the kite into launch position??
cheerz

This happens on the beach, when you flip your kite to carry it to the water. One center line will flip under the kite (not be cradled by the kite). This is not usually an issue unless when you flip the kite back over you do not flip it back the same way. Now you have a line which is over the kite.
To avoid this, on land when you flip your kite make sure both center lines are cradled by the kite and if you flip the kite over to the right make sure to flip it back to the left.
Cheers
Pete

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:34 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

right pete has it exactly. you rig it up and everything is ok but when you flip over the kite you are letting the bar go thru the center lines somehow. This can also happen when you are carrying the kite out into the water, when the bar spins one rotation and you don't notice that will also do it.

Here is another way to avoid it. Go ahead and rig up the kite as usual on land get everything ready but don't flip over the kite yet.

Now take one hand, can either be the right hand or the left hand, and grab the chicken loop with this hand. Now flip over the kite with other other hand, and no matter what do not let go with that one hand that has the chicken loop. Keep holding the chicken loop with this hand while flipping it over, keep holding it while carrying it out into the water, keep holding it while undoing the lines and this will ensure that you don't accidentally pass the bar thru the center lines.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:46 pm 
Medium Poster

just before releasing the kite to launch, I always double check the wingtips if the line is going over it (it must not)

if they are, shake your kite so the line fall off the tip.

Since I do that I never had a problem drift launching again.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:08 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

edt wrote:
right pete has it exactly. you rig it up and everything is ok but when you flip over the kite you are letting the bar go thru the center lines somehow. This can also happen when you are carrying the kite out into the water, when the bar spins one rotation and you don't notice that will also do it.

Here is another way to avoid it. Go ahead and rig up the kite as usual on land get everything ready but don't flip over the kite yet.

Now take one hand, can either be the right hand or the left hand, and grab the chicken loop with this hand. Now flip over the kite with other other hand, and no matter what do not let go with that one hand that has the chicken loop. Keep holding the chicken loop with this hand while flipping it over, keep holding it while carrying it out into the water, keep holding it while undoing the lines and this will ensure that you don't accidentally pass the bar thru the center lines.

Another way is to open the chickenloop and attach it to the pump attachment point.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:49 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Laughingman wrote:
Another way is to open the chickenloop and attach it to the pump attachment point.

that's clever never thought of doing that.

[ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next