Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: a good kite for light wind?

Postby Westozzy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:31 pm

What's ya target wind, what type of wind and what boards do you have?

-Martijn-
Rare Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby -Martijn- » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:59 pm

I have only a 138x42 TT but atm my low end with a 12M Cat isn't really low :roll: . So i thinking about buying a door + lw kite to have at least a low end of 14-15 kn and everything lower is better. I have no idea what kind of wind we have in Holland :)

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:22 am

Wind in holland. Cold. Lol. But would be dense wind as opposed to the tropics. Makes a difference. More power at the same wind speed.

Well if you get the door then the zephyr would be fine. I am a big fan of the 2013 model has enough edge DNA for apparent wind build up and smooth efficient power but also enough static grunt if currents are about. very stable very refined. And great to unhook.

But the cloud? Don't know much about it apart from what I've read. So the next question is what style are you looking at? Also do you ha e the 55cm bar on the cat therefore won't need another bar.

-Martijn-
Rare Poster

Postby -Martijn- » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:40 am

I'm still a beginner but i'm mostly attracted to freeride and freestyle. Pretty wide, i know, but in time i will know better what the direction will be i want to go. I understand that looping with a big kite isn't really possible but some big jumps is probably also very nice. And when i go to some tropical island this summer to escape from the worst spring in years and the wind is a bit less strong, i still want to be able to kite and made some serious progress this summer.

So far as i know is nobody in Holland having a Cloud yet and a few guys advised against it. But that was mostly stuff like, its new so it has to prove itself first (true ;)) and strutless can never work. But the reviews looks nice and i really like the concept (and as fellow entrepreneur i have a little bit a preference for a guy that is able to bring a product on his own on the market ;)). The pricing after import taxes etc will differ maybe 100-200 euro so thats not really making the call. Only the zephyr will be a lot easier to resell and i will be able to test it before purchase.

About the bar i dont know 1-2-3. If 55 cm is the suggested size for a 12m, it will be 55 cm but it could also be 50 cm.

*edit* It will probably be 50 cm. So with a additional 55cm Ozone bar (i dont want to mix security systems) a Zephyr is actually 100 euro cheaper.

alpower
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alpower » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:31 am

I've had a few sessions now on a Sector 54/Velocity 18 combo. It's spring on the Great Lakes, so I'm now even going to talk about wind speed because this time of year it can be 5 kts on the water and 20 up high. What I can say is this combo is by far the lightest conditions I have kited in. My last light wind kite was a Turbine and before that a Flysurfer 2 SA19. This combo rocks for speed and I have had some huge boosts (but see my prior comments). The Velocity is being marketed for racing, and everything on the kite is built lighter then other kites, but this kite does way more than just race. Worth considering.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:46 am

alpower wrote: It's spring on the Great Lakes, so I'm now even going to talk about wind speed because this time of year it can be 5 kts on the water and 20 up high.
Now that is the correct way :thumb: to talk about wind speed :congrats:

If you would have said that you were riding in 5kn it would have opened a can of whoop *ss :lol: :wink:

LW wind claims should always be that complete....with the possibility of 2 wind speeds

Mr. alpower your set-up looks great.......have fun with those awesome vertical gradients

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:57 am

-Martijn- wrote:I'm still a beginner but i'm mostly attracted to freeride and freestyle. Pretty wide, i know, but in time i will know better what the direction will be i want to go. I understand that looping with a big kite isn't really possible but some big jumps is probably also very nice. And when i go to some tropical island this summer to escape from the worst spring in years and the wind is a bit less strong, i still want to be able to kite and made some serious progress this summer.

So far as i know is nobody in Holland having a Cloud yet and a few guys advised against it. But that was mostly stuff like, its new so it has to prove itself first (true ;)) and strutless can never work. But the reviews looks nice and i really like the concept (and as fellow entrepreneur i have a little bit a preference for a guy that is able to bring a product on his own on the market ;)). The pricing after import taxes etc will differ maybe 100-200 euro so thats not really making the call. Only the zephyr will be a lot easier to resell and i will be able to test it before purchase.

About the bar i dont know 1-2-3. If 55 cm is the suggested size for a 12m, it will be 55 cm but it could also be 50 cm.

*edit* It will probably be 50 cm. So with a additional 55cm Ozone bar (i dont want to mix security systems) a Zephyr is actually 100 euro cheaper.

Yeh I tend to fall in the camp of letting the cloud get out there a little more camp. I'm kind of skeptical but open minded as well. Honestly your board choice is just as important. With the right board there are a lot of good options. The fat lady is something you migth want to consider as well. Will fly more similar to your cat if it is a 2013. Little lower in aspect, Plus if looping is a criteria as wellas wave riding you want to chase I'd say the fat lady would be a bloody good choice to put on your list, as a lower aspect kite would work better for those needs.

They are all designed to meet a certain market sector. No one kite is 'better' than another. Have a real good think about where you want to head, realising that as a big fella who will need a big board there will be some limitations. Something like a Dyno will give you aspect and some static grunt like the zephyr, but a little more aspect Id say. Something like a big fuse will give you aspect but may sit between say the dyno then zephyr and the fat lady. Another lower aspect big kite is the epic infinity as well. Or you could just get a big edge but then you ar really heading into race category. Then there's the aspect of all aspects such as the flysurfer speed foils. Research them all and try and find individual riders of each kite and email them. Put the puzzle together. But demo as much as you can for as long as you can, be patient - basically the opposite of what I've done in the past! Will save ya a lot of coin.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:43 am

-Martijn- wrote:So far as i know is nobody in Holland having a Cloud yet and a few guys advised against it. But that was mostly stuff like, its new so it has to prove itself first (true ;)) and strutless can never work. But the reviews looks nice and i really like the concept (and as fellow entrepreneur i have a little bit a preference for a guy that is able to bring a product on his own on the market ;)). The pricing after import taxes etc will differ maybe 100-200 euro so thats not really making the call. Only the zephyr will be a lot easier to resell and i will be able to test it before purchase.

Daag,
Ik heb een Cloud. Maar ik heb niet..shit can't remember any more. Eitherway, if you have questions about the cloud ask in that thread strutless thread you'll find actual owners. They might be fans of the kite, but that just proves the point that it works.

I do find it funny that people that have not ridden the kite says it cannot work...though it does took a bit of mind bending to make it work in my head. I have ridden the kite and it certainly works. We've had horrifyingly bad wind here lately so I have not ridden it as much as I want :D

For the workmanship on the kite, it is good. My biggest issue I am used to a different inflation nozzle but that is absolutely minor and inconsequential to the performance of the kite. The nozzle has been used by other bands for years so there are no issues.

-Martijn-
Rare Poster

Postby -Martijn- » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:32 am

Hehe nice try :D

I do indeed read all i can find about it and readed already the full topic and most other topics that showed up on Google.
Westozzy wrote:
-Martijn- wrote:I'm still a beginner but i'm mostly attracted to freeride and freestyle. Pretty wide, i know, but in time i will know better what the direction will be i want to go. I understand that looping with a big kite isn't really possible but some big jumps is probably also very nice. And when i go to some tropical island this summer to escape from the worst spring in years and the wind is a bit less strong, i still want to be able to kite and made some serious progress this summer.

Yeh I tend to fall in the camp of letting the cloud get out there a little more camp. I'm kind of skeptical but open minded as well. Honestly your board choice is just as important. With the right board there are a lot of good options. The fat lady is something you migth want to consider as well. Will fly more similar to your cat if it is a 2013. Little lower in aspect, Plus if looping is a criteria as wellas wave riding you want to chase I'd say the fat lady would be a bloody good choice to put on your list, as a lower aspect kite would work better for those needs.

They are all designed to meet a certain market sector. No one kite is 'better' than another. Have a real good think about where you want to head, realising that as a big fella who will need a big board there will be some limitations. Something like a Dyno will give you aspect and some static grunt like the zephyr, but a little more aspect Id say. Something like a big fuse will give you aspect but may sit between say the dyno then zephyr and the fat lady. Another lower aspect big kite is the epic infinity as well. Or you could just get a big edge but then you ar really heading into race category. Then there's the aspect of all aspects such as the flysurfer speed foils. Research them all and try and find individual riders of each kite and email them. Put the puzzle together. But demo as much as you can for as long as you can, be patient - basically the opposite of what I've done in the past! Will save ya a lot of coin.
Yea, i do what i can do. I have been thinking and reading about this for several weeks / months already. But how is the aspect affecting me, since you talk a lot about it.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:29 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by 'how does aspect effect me'?. But aspect in a kite produces differing power generation. This in turn produces kites that suite differing styles given certain board selection. You say you have a catalyst right? Is it a 2013? Well it will generate power very differently than an edge. Hence I was trying to bring to your attention that big kites to have differing aspects hence fly very differently.

Return to “Kitesurfing”