Local Beach: Lebanese
Style: Wakestyle
Gear: Wainman Hawaii Smoke 9m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

North Vegas 11m v.s. Wainman Punch 10.5

Postby veeman187 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:21 am

If i want to ride freestyle and wakestyle, which kite is my best option?
And what's the difference between a C-kite and SLE kite ?

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Re: North Vegas 11m v.s. Wainman Punch 10.5

Postby coleman » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:58 pm

the wainman is designed to be a do-it -all type of kite. i have the 6.5/9m and love them. i am not really into wakestyle but a small bit of freestyle. mostly just carving around, free ride and waves for me.

the wainman you can tune to turn slower if you wish which would be good for wakestyle but they are very lively and responsive.

if you kite in gusty areas the wainman will be smoother than the vegas although i have friends who ride a 10m vegas in 30+ and dont seem too overpowered.

i think the 10.5 punch will be more powerful than the vegas. probably equal to the 12m vegas in terms of power but that is just a hunch. i have no experience with the vegas, but generally the c kites are not as rangey as the delta shapes and the wainmans in particular have tons of range.

i wiegh 155 and ride my 9m smoke starting from high teens to 30. in the upper end of the wind range the jumping ability of the kite comes alive. great jumper but needs to be lit. although i bet most kites are great jumpers when lit.

so i would bet that the vegas beats out the wainman for pure wakestyle, offering better line slack for handle passes and stuff like that. for more freestyle/ freeride/waves and gust handling i would go with the wainman.

i think they are both top notch kites though and you wont be disappointed with either

Kiteskills
Rare Poster

Postby Kiteskills » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:36 pm

Dude, it seems you are pretty unexperienced. Vegas vs Punch. BMW vs Toyota. Which is better? Impossible to answer.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Postby Dirk » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:11 pm

That's easy: BMW. I am not talking about the kites. :D

veeman187
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lebanese
Style: Wakestyle
Gear: Wainman Hawaii Smoke 9m

Postby veeman187 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:08 pm

wow thanks coleman that was pretty helpful, I think i'm goin for the punch cos i get alot of gusty wind and an all sitch kite sounds more appealing.

and yes i am pretty inexperienced "kiteskills"... if i knew what i was talkin about i wouldnt be on this forum would I ? plus i think toyota is too high maintanance, BMW's got the stronger and more reliable engines... i'd love to hear ur pro input on the kites.

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:24 pm

sounds like you should be going for the wainman then if you get strong gusty wind. my smoke is good for me from 18-30mph of wind. lots of range in that kite. the punch will be a good first choice but will be a handful for you in winds over 25 if you have little experience.

and, there really is no need to be buying based on the style of riding you think you want to be riding in. if you are just starting out then you will likely just be riding around and trying some little jumps. you will be taking your beatings as well so you want a kite that can withstand some abuse, have smooth power delivery, and relaunch easily. the wainman is a great product, built like a tank and delivers fantastic smooth power.

other kites to look at would be: ozone catalyst, slingshot rally, north evo: all will be great kites for you and you will need years before you flesh out all of the potential they offer.

icebird
Frequent Poster

Postby icebird » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:54 pm

I don't know Wainman, but I am very impressed with the 2013 Vegas - it is insanely stable and has so many different ways it can be flown, not just unhooked freestyle. Not going to review it here - just say it has massive range and appears to fly better in rough high to overpowered conditions than quite a few other kites I have seen on the water. Still, small spacing in kite sizes get the most out of the kite - it flyes better less powered, picks up apparent wind better, pops better, and make board go faster - strangely. I was out on an 8m at 69kg and another guy was out at the same time on a 12m at 75kg - we both jumped fine. The relaunch I'm sure is more difficult on the Vegas, but it will relaunch easy enough using the 5th line correctly (pulling in a lot to flip kite on almost on its back).
On 5th line issues and line wrapping - I could wrap 5th on occasion on old Rebels, but I have no clue how to do that on the '13 Vegas, it is so difficult to crash with slack lines.

On the Evo - it doesn't work well for riders at 75kg or below - too much downwind pull - tiring - even depowered. I believe kite choice should take rider weight into consideration.
Last edited by icebird on Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:15 pm

I do know both kites. Listen to Coleman he has nailed it, nothing more to say.

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Jbrook » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:45 am

One more vote for Vegas Cleman nailed it I have 9 and 11 and just love them. Hey Ceasar read Colemans interview and give the 2013 a run.

JB

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:35 am

Jbrook wrote:One more vote for Vegas Cleman nailed it I have 9 and 11 and just love them. Hey Ceasar read Colemans interview and give the 2013 a run.

JB
i am so confused. really not sure what is going on here. i am not the coleman who makes harnesses. who's cesar? i like wainman. going to go now and :wall1:

:wink:

Return to “Kitesurfing”