All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Bar compatibility question please help
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:53 pm 
Rare Poster

I need a bigger kite than my 12m Cabrinha Switchblade. I am looking at buying a used 2011 North 16m Dyno without a bar. I have a 2012 Cabrinha IDS bar for my Switchblade that I hope would work on this kite. Can the Cabrinha IDS bar be used safely on the Dyno and if so will I be able to depower /power the Dyno with the Cabrinha system to have this kite fly as intended? Would I have to modify anything to make it work? Thank you very much.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Bar compatibility question please help
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:46 am 
Very Frequent Poster

it depends how comfortable you are riding a kite designed to flag out on a 5th line on a mini 5th line safety

it should fly fine

up to you those north bars are pricey

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:23 am 
Very Frequent Poster

rpfKITE2 wrote:
I need a bigger kite than my 12m Cabrinha Switchblade. I am looking at buying a used 2011 North 16m Dyno without a bar. I have a 2012 Cabrinha IDS bar for my Switchblade that I hope would work on this kite. Can the Cabrinha IDS bar be used safely on the Dyno and if so will I be able to depower /power the Dyno with the Cabrinha system to have this kite fly as intended? Would I have to modify anything to make it work? Thank you very much.

You might be able to connect the IDS line to the fifth line of the Dyno and have the kite flag out on the fifth.

This is a guess and you would have to check if the line would pass through the safety system. You would have an extra connection in the line. The IDS line is designed to only travel a certain distance through the powerline and bar, so the kite might not quite flag out fully.

Two of the issues are:-
Will the line pass through the powerline etc. and will it reset when it's let out again.

Will there be wear on the line.

Its difficult to know without actually trying it.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:13 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

You can't easily mod the ids 5th line flag re requires 10m throw tho typically the bar can shot up the entire line ids is about 1m relying on bridle to flip kite besides he has another cab kite so he needs to keep at least one bar ready for cabrinha

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

edt wrote:
You can't easily mod the ids 5th line flag re requires 10m throw tho typically the bar can shot up the entire line ids is about 1m relying on bridle to flip kite besides he has another cab kite so he needs to keep at least one bar ready for cabrinha

5th line operates basically the same way as the IDS. I have IDS kites and the IDS line is generally about 3m.

The distance required has to be enough to slacken both rear lines when the kite is on its back. I have checked that distance on a 17m Cloud kite and it was 4m, so although the normal IDS may not flag the Dyno completely it will depower it a lot.

If he connected to the 5th and flew the kite as a 4 line kite, the 5th may slide the extra distance to let the kite drop completely onto its back and he could make it a simple switch to connect the same bar to one kite or the other - IF the 5th and its connection to the IDS line would slide through the path the IDS line has to follow.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:56 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Ids is NOT same as 5th line ids requires pulleys near wingtips to rotate kite HALF of all kites fail to depower 100% this way. 5th line is true kite flagging so it works on all kites. Dyno is light wind kite so maybe you don't need 100% depower. on mini 5th you could have 5m slack my ozone cat will still fly it is front line flier no pulleys

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:37 pm 
Rare Poster

Thanks all. I am not going to do it. Safety first.

[ 7 posts ]