Where can i buy a Foilboard

Forum for kitesurfers
Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Where can i buy a Foilboard

Postby Hawaiis » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:00 pm

davesails7 wrote:You sent them the video and the pictures and they didn't let you return the board?
That is correct, they said I should enjoy their product for what it is.

mhl / lift
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: MHL Custom / Lift Hydrofoils
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby mhl / lift » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:43 pm

Hawaiis wrote:I got screwed big time. The MHL carbon fiber looking board is only a single layer, I can actually see thru the carbon fiber. They said the ones they made now are stronger, but when I contact them to offer to purchase the stronger version, they said it is still under development. Go figure.

Simply put..... Thats a lot of bullshit. This guy received a foil and complained that the inserts were off and that the part was cracked. ???? We told him to send it back on our shipping account and we would send him a foil immediately. We sent him a brand new foil overnight via fed ex. When I received the other, I agreed that there was a flaw in the molding of the inserts, but it had also been ridden and run into the ground! Then it was sanded and painted to try and cover up the damage! As if we wouldn't notice. But that's no problem for us; I would have replaced it anyway so there was no need to try and cover it up. If our customers are not happy, I encourage them to keep riding the product as we send them another and make them happy. When they receive the new product, I either take back the old or find a buyer for it. I have replaced custom 14' carbon sups in this manner because the customer is not in agreement with the shade of red! My customer service record has an A+.

This guy received the replacement foil (an awesome product and a lot of hard work) and then he wanted me to send him yet another foil for free... After he gets online and trashes the product. I drew the line and said that I couldn't do it and if he was not happy with the product, I would help to find a buyer who would appreciate it.

As for construction.... I use a shit ton of carbon in different orientations with glass and foam cores for toughness, weight and strength. The laws of statics and strength dictate that there are no stresses at the neutral axis. That plainly means that the reinforcement at the outer exterior of the geometry is accountable for the majority of the parts strength. Putting carbon in the core of the part is a waste of material and poor designing. It does nothing that it is supposed to do when used in that fashion. Ask any expert about this subject and you will receive the same response.

We always use the best materials from the best companies and we have lots of engineering involved in our process. If anybody ever has questions, complaints or suggestions regarding construction and design of our product, I am always available to discuss it. I live and breathe this project and I always take care of my customers!!!

ChristoffM
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan and Cape Town.
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere in the Cape, South Africa.
Style: Hydrofoils! (And surf and old school)
Gear: Cape Town Foilboard and Spotz hydrofoils.
Any kite that can keep up with the hydrofoils.
Brand Affiliation: Cape Town Foilboards
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ChristoffM » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:14 pm

Ai, forums can be so helpful, but it is always sad when disagreements come out on the public domain.

I don't really want to take sides since judging only from what you read on a forum can be very bad since you never really know all the detail. At least hearing both sides puts things into some perspective.

I'll comment on what I know, and that is judging my MHL customs foil. I must say that my MHL custom foil is solid, and I am very happy with it. It takes a lot of abuse (I ride in the winter waves in Cape Town when the shore break can be very big, and I ride strapless so the foils sometimes get washed out badly) and there is absolutely no problems. The side edges are worn through (from grinding on the sand) but it does not affect functioning at all and any carbon foil will wear out the way I am using my foil.

The only bad thing about the MHL foil is the torsional stiffness which is a bit low I think, but it is not a big problem really, and one would expect small details of a design to need some ironing out in the beginning of a sport.

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Hawaiis » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:15 pm

What is a lot of bullshit? I bought your product, and you agreed to replace it because it is defective,I did nick the fin in the sand and a small quarter inch/6mm piece came off. I offered to keep the fin and purchase a second set of different aspect ratio fins from you at your full price of $275, but you said you already shipped out the replacement mast. I did my best to fix it, I know you spent a lot of money on FedEx. But you cannot blame me for that.

Return to “Kitesurfing”