Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Why? Why? Why?

Postby knotwindy » Mon May 27, 2013 8:58 pm

[/quote]
Excectly and we need three straps on great lakes caribbean hatteras etc. We don't stand on the top of the board like you guys. We chase the wave with speed like windsurfers.[/quote]

To continue the windsurf theme, it is probably not as similar as it first looks. Without the mast track pressure forward and CENTERED over the board, there is no way your front foot could match that trim in a 3 strap setup. Got to have your front foot in a different place to trim it right,IMO.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Mon May 27, 2013 8:59 pm

marlboroughman wrote:The straps on these boards are one way twin tip so no jibing. Once I see fins in the front I know the rocker is not what it could be if it was designed going one way. Also the stance for twin tip straps is wider. So you see everything is half ass of what it could be.
Only the straps on the M2 are a twin tip strap. The M1 comes with a symmetrical strap that allows it to be ridden both ways (aka surf strap). The M1 can also be ordered in a thruster set-up without front fins that's more surf focused.
As far as the rocker goes... Amundson boards can be custom made. This seems to be the part that you're not getting. Don't use the pic & specs as the end-all reference. Contact John and see if could accommodate your specific needs. You might just be surprised! ;-)
Last edited by Da Yoda on Mon May 27, 2013 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Mon May 27, 2013 9:15 pm

knotwindy wrote: To continue the windsurf theme, it is probably not as similar as it first looks. Without the mast track pressure forward and CENTERED over the board, there is no way your front foot could match that trim in a 3 strap setup. Got to have your front foot in a different place to trim it right,IMO.
When I ride my twin tip my front foot wants to come out. I keep it there because I have to. Board designed to go both ways is a compromise. You can get more from less with crossover 3 strap design which doesn't seem to exist.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Mon May 27, 2013 9:22 pm

Da Yoda wrote: Contact John and see if could accommodate your specific needs. You might just be surprised! ;-)
I will contact him when my kid finish university. For now I buy them on year end sale.....or garage sale for that matter :lol:

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon May 27, 2013 9:49 pm

If the board you want doesn't exist. then learn how to make one. Build it yourself. you sound like you know exactly what you want. Building boards can be significantly cheaper than buying them new.

Then you don't have to fit the mass produced mould that the industry deems everyone needs.

Plus shredding on a board you made yourself is sublime. You have heaps more satisfaction than simply buying and riding an off the shelf unit.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Mon May 27, 2013 10:04 pm

I am thinking about it. What I have in mind can be easily made from plywood. I just have to figure something to bend the nose up 2" other than that flat and stiff will work.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Mon May 27, 2013 11:00 pm

marlboroughman wrote:I am thinking about it. What I have in mind can be easily made from plywood. I just have to figure something to bend the nose up 2" other than that flat and stiff will work.
get yourself some thin plywood. say 3mm. create a basic press. laminate several layers of the plywood together with epoxy resin and press at the same time.

Viola. plywood board with a bend at the front.

personally i would run around 2 layers of 3mm and then triaxle glass top and bottom. with perhaps a triaxle stringer in the middle between the feed to reduce unwanted flex at that point.

you can use the epoxy resin to seal the edges and also glass any fibreglass on there.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Mon May 27, 2013 11:14 pm

I even thought about something like a counter top laminate on top and bottom but I wonder if it would hold the shape.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Tue May 28, 2013 2:42 am

Peter_Frank wrote: How short do you want it to be if 4'10 is long ?
:D Peter
My medium do it all board is 132cm (4'4"), my smallest is 127cm (4'2"), so I am hoping that the smallest I will try to go is 4' even. That's why to me 4'10" is a huge mutant. I don't want go over 140cm for the light wind so 4'7" would be max. With the flat rocker you are able to move everything aft and the 3 strap stance is narrower so you save even more.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Tue May 28, 2013 4:33 am

yep formica does work. maybe aim for 8mm thickness id still look for 2 x 4mm plys to laminate together to get the "kick" at the front. then use the formica as a smooth surface.

Return to “Kitesurfing”