All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: How to restart after self rescue?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:17 pm 
Medium Poster

I sometimes practice self-rescues, i.e. pull the QR, wind up the safety line and secure it, wind up the remaining lines and secure them on the bar. After this you have to two options. Either walk in to the beach with a soaking wet kite or wind up everything so that you can relaunch the kite again. I always aim for the second alternative. But for some reason I somehow almost always manage to get the lines twisted. So finally when I have the lines winded out again, ready to relaunch, then very often it turns out that one or two lines are inverted or the lines are twisted in some other way. It´s very annoying and I don't understand why it ends up like this... Do you guys have any tips on how to avoid this problem?

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: How to restart after self rescue?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:49 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

No way to avoid it, it is what happens when self rescuing, unless you are very lucky.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:57 pm 
Frequent Poster

keep practicing.

however, even if you are perfect in your line wrapping and unwrapping, if the kite falls in a way that allows an outside/inside line cross when it is disables, or turns when lines are tensioning during the reset and an outside line flips over the canopy then your gonna have a line cross. or "inverted lines" or whatever you called it. lets stop using that stupid term, btw.

if you have a line cross after the reset it is not a major problem, it is possible to continue flying the kite (to get yourself back in to shore where you can fix it) it is also possible to detach from your harness loop and leash and untwist any kind of cross that developed, by flipping the bar through the lines as necessary. this is highly not recommended (however it can be done).

do you use a single or double centerline leash system. i find this is a more common issue on double centerline leash systems (and is much harder to undo with bar flipping)

thread hijack: no more using the word inverted. it means upside down, or inside out. an inverted kite is a kite that has backwinded hard enough to pop it inside out. lines dont get inverted, and "my kite inverted" does not mean it rolled through its lines during a crash. if your kite popped inside out then just say it turned inside out. if your outside and inside lines got crossed, just say that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:19 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

if u can relaunch without getting your lines tangled in seaweed or a knot you're doing good, maybe you should teach me how to relaunch :-) Not a big deal if the lines are inverted, you can ride that way back to shore land and fix it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:47 pm 
Frequent Poster

no such thing as "inverted lines". your one of the posters with the highest amount of overall kite knowledge, dont dumb yourself down.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:51 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

bnthere wrote:
no such thing as "inverted lines". your one of the posters with the highest amount of overall kite knowledge, dont dumb yourself down.

But to be fair everyone else apart from you calls it inverted lines :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:02 pm 
Frequent Poster

ya i know, that doesnt make it any better.

i'm constantly tempted to start a terminology thread on here, but i think it would just be a huge disaster. this is as close as ive ever come.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:16 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

JGTR wrote:
bnthere wrote:

But to be fair everyone else apart from you calls it inverted lines :lol:

Naaah, I dont think this is right...

Think about a headline: "what to do about inverted lines ?" - would you know what that was about ?
It could be something about rear lines mounted as frontlines and reverse.

Crossed lines, twisted, spun, or inside out lines or whatever - but inverted lines simply does not make sense in any way, so you have to think twice about what is meant, agree :wink:

Even the OP does not use the term "inverted" :thumb:

:D Peter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:37 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Quote:
Think about a headline: "what to do about inverted lines ?" - would you know what that was about ?

Ha ha don't be daft - everyone knows what inverted lines means or can quite easily guess :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:26 pm 
Frequent Poster

Two cents...

The lines are crossed or now entwined, butt in a place where just plain folks call each other loosers..

it makes about as much difference as flying your kite with entwined lines...

read: no big whoop

It's just a bother, not a impediment to functionality...

I vote for entwined lines , it's half way to poetry and speaks of the end result

fokiten

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next