Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Algarve Next Week - Help - Should I Take Kite Stuff?

forum for kitesurfers

onein5
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Vazon, L'Ancresse/Pembroke
Style: Sketchy!
Gear: Naish Cults 9m 12m, North Rebel 16m, RRD placebo 142 x 45
Brand Affiliation: None

Algarve Next Week - Help - Should I Take Kite Stuff?

Postby onein5 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:41 am

Hi All,

Going to be on the south coast (not south west) of the Algarve next week and don't whether to take kit with me? Everything i read suggests that June is prime time for the Nortada but the report looks iffy - can anyone tell me whether it's a thermal wind that will not show on surf reports, but builds throughout the day? What sort of quiver would I need? Any help would be really appreciated.

wave2kite
Rare Poster

Re: Algarve Next Week - Help - Should I Take Kite Stuff?

Postby wave2kite » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:41 pm

Take a 13, a 10m kite. Alvor lagoon should have wind in the afternoon. Flatwater though....

onein5
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vazon, L'Ancresse/Pembroke
Style: Sketchy!
Gear: Naish Cults 9m 12m, North Rebel 16m, RRD placebo 142 x 45

Postby onein5 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:43 pm

Thanks! So it is thermal then?

I have 6, 8, 10, 12, 14 kites... 8 and a 12 maybe? :P

Kiteus Polaris
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: South Sweden
Gear: Blade
Shinn

Postby Kiteus Polaris » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:00 pm

Well I really hope you'll have a reason to bring you gear ...since I'm also going there next week with my kitebording gf! Bringing 12 9 7. Hope that will work fine.
Does anybody know any other spot more to the east vs Alvor with a lagoon etc? Seems much wormer around Faro and my gf is complaining about the temp in Alvor. (I almost can't blame her as it's even colder than up here in Sweden...) I also guess that the thermal effect will not appear in Alvor around 20C?

Kirok
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Lynæs, Denmark
Nivå, Denmark
Favorite Beaches: Gudmindrup, Denmark
Style: Freeride
Gear: Mako Classic, Mako King, Core Choice 139 cm
Core Free 9M
Core XR3 12
Flysurfer Speed3 21 M

Postby Kirok » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:02 am

Kiteus Polaris wrote:Well I really hope you'll have a reason to bring you gear ...since I'm also going there next week with my kitebording gf! Bringing 12 9 7. Hope that will work fine.
Does anybody know any other spot more to the east vs Alvor with a lagoon etc? Seems much wormer around Faro and my gf is complaining about the temp in Alvor. (I almost can't blame her as it's even colder than up here in Sweden...) I also guess that the thermal effect will not appear in Alvor around 20C?
You can try Isla de Faro. Cross the bridge and turn left then try to drive to the end and park. It is small wave and usually cooler than Ria de Alvor.

Kiteus Polaris
Medium Poster
Shinn

Postby Kiteus Polaris » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:23 pm

Kirok wrote:
Kiteus Polaris wrote:Well I really hope you'll have a reason to bring you gear ...since I'm also going there next week with my kitebording gf! Bringing 12 9 7. Hope that will work fine.
You can try Isla de Faro. Cross the bridge and turn left then try to drive to the end and park. It is small wave and usually cooler than Ria de Alvor.
I guess it is the bridge just after having passed the airport on your left side? I had a look at that one and it sure looks nice on the map! Thanks!

FreddieM
Rare Poster

Postby FreddieM » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:18 pm

Kiteus Polaris wrote:
I guess it is the bridge just after having passed the airport on your left side? I had a look at that one and it sure looks nice on the map! Thanks!
yeah...ria de faro is probably the best flat spot in portugal with the right tide...!! you can start from the beach and make downwind until river and then back IF there is wind! It does not look very good...so leave less than 10m at home!!

Kiteus Polaris
Medium Poster
Shinn

Postby Kiteus Polaris » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:40 pm

FreddieM wrote:
Kiteus Polaris wrote:
yeah...ria de faro is probably the best flat spot in portugal with the right tide...!! you can start from the beach and make downwind until river and then back IF there is wind! It does not look very good...so leave less than 10m at home!!
Shit. Is this my usual bad luck with wind on kite trips happening again!!!!?
Is there anything to add on the Windguru forecast for eg Ria de Alvor or is 12kn just 12kn?
I think I'll start crying soon...

FreddieM
Rare Poster

Postby FreddieM » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:18 am

Kiteus Polaris wrote:
FreddieM wrote:
Kiteus Polaris wrote:
Is there anything to add on the Windguru forecast for eg Ria de Alvor or is 12kn just 12kn?
don't bet much on it will be much more that 12knots...maybe 15 ou 16...!! anyway..more than 3 days forecast is BS and from monday onwards temperature will rise, so your chances increase...!! :thumb:

Kiteus Polaris
Medium Poster
Shinn

Postby Kiteus Polaris » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:01 am

FreddieM wrote:
Kiteus Polaris wrote:
FreddieM wrote:

don't bet much on it will be much more that 12knots...maybe 15 ou 16...!! anyway..more than 3 days forecast is BS and from monday onwards temperature will rise, so your chances increase...!! :thumb:
Aaaah! Sure needed to hear that! I've been looking at a strange weather fc page that showed very low temp locally in Alvor but now I found anotherone with more even temp over the Algarve coast. Now I beleve my gf may need the 7m2 anyway!

Is it fairly easy to find reasonably priced accomodation? I've just booked the first night in Faro after the flight to be able to drive to a spot we like. (I guess could be Alvor area). Doesn't have to be by the sea since we have a car.

Sorry for hijacking OPs thread!

Btw 16 instead of 12 would mean kiting with a 12m2 instead of sitting on the beach... Huge difference in my book... Especially on a trip...

Return to “Kitesurfing”