All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: did you do another board sport before kiting?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:17 am 
Rare Poster

I was just wondering what people's experience was with other board sports like wakeboarding , snowboarding , windsurfing, even skateboarding.

how easy was the transition for you?
I know kiteboarding is a bit different than wakeboarding or snowboarding since the balance you need to feel is going to be different. Snowboarding , because you don't have anything pulling you , it's just gravity. Wakeboarding , because the pull is coming through your hands instead of your harness, unless you're riding unhooked , then it's going to be the exact same as wakeboarding.

I'm going to guess everyone around here likes kiting best , out of all?

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: did you do another board sport before kiting?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:41 am 
Frequent Poster

I grew up skateboarding, knee boarding, waterskiing, surfing and later snowboarding and stunt kite flying.. Kiteboarding came fairly natural however it was the largest learning curve to master since I needed to learn kite control as it related to balance and a different board skill. Now I only kite.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:52 am 
Very Frequent Poster

all of em, still do most of them

Kiting fully took over snowboarding simply because I get the same stoke from kiting but spend so much less cash and like being warm. Kiting made me windsurf hardly ever any more simply due to the fact that it is more expensive and there is way less waiting for conditions here.

Other board sports help, but there is a generation of kiters now that absolutely rip - they started with kiting as their first board sport, even becoming champion wakeboarders afterwards.

Whatever is best for the conditions/circumstances is my fave.

jeez i just noticed i have done 1040 posts here!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:08 am 
Rare Poster

I did skateboard until 10 years old. And then, when I was 20, started windsurfing. I loved windsurfing, but the equipment was a pain to transport (not to mention keep it in your apartment), so you have to find a good place to sail and store and stuck with it.
That's why I moved to kitesurf two years ago. And I really thought in the beginning that windsurfing would help me to learn faster. I could not be more wrong! My body memory tried to respond to some of the inputs in a totally wrong fashion, so I had to forget first to learn from scratch.
It was a rocky road, but it did payoff. Personally, kitesurfing is so much better then windsurfing that I regret not having started it earlier.

The one sport that would really help you kitesurf is definitely wakeboard.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:57 pm 
Frequent Poster

Windsurfer for 25 yrs,snowboarding 15 yrs,wakeboarding 15 yrs.Been kiting since 2001,fastest learning curve of any sport I've done.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:57 pm 
Rare Poster

MarcThompson wrote:
And I really thought in the beginning that windsurfing would help me to learn faster. I could not be more wrong! My body memory tried to respond to some of the inputs in a totally wrong fashion, so I had to forget first to learn from scratch.

Same experience here. The first time I dove the kite and flattened the board like I was windsurfing, the board went sideways for 30 yards. I headed for a wakeboard cable park and took a lesson which helped a lot. I've done very little windsurfing since I started kiteboarding.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:15 pm 
Frequent Poster

I come from an extensive snowboarding background and found that the transition to kiting was not easy for me. The weight distribution was foreign and that you couldn't place as much force on your front foot was driving me insane. Water starts sucked because I wanted to always stand straight up and the kite would pull me over. Edge transfers and dumping speed with board control can naturally. Catching edges was also never an issue as it is also a natural progression from snowboarding. I had never wakeboarded before, did do a lot of longboarding (skateboard) and have some surfing experience prior to kiting. The aspect of kite control I found to be very easy and I have never had issues in that department (that I am thankful for as I would have been a complete disaster). The learning has been slow but I am progressing.... For me still the biggest obsticule for this sports is actually being off work when the wind is up (this I am positive is most people's bain). Limited days on the water in the past three to four years have made my progression from complete newb to advanced beginner/crappie intermediate a slow transition but I have had a blast in the process. Wouldn't trade all the experiences for anything!!

James
www.theglobalartist.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:23 pm 
Rare Poster

I snowboard a lot and I have some limited experience with surfing , windsurfing and wakeboarding before I tried kiteboarding. Now I snowboard in winter, wakeboard when there is no wind but I will always choose kiteboarding when I have the chance (which is not too often, unfortunately).. I think it is the easiest sport when compared to surfing, windsurfing, and wakeboarding, both in the meaning that it does not require much strength and you can easily keep riding for many hours/days, and it is also much easier and quicker to learn. So it is an ideal sport when you get older and lazy :D That is why I think so many people love it (including me)...Just when I imagine how much time I would need to learn to do a jump on a windsurf... or to learn to surf at all (I gave up after years of trying and very limited progress)...but anyone can learn kiting within a few days :-)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:55 pm 
Rare Poster

Windsurfing 20 years, i think has actually harmed my learning progress! Thought it was gonna be a breeze!! Very wrong!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:14 pm 
Medium Poster

Swimming, skateboarding, surfing, snow skiing, water skiing, water ski racing, even roller skating and sailing. All excellent for a wrap up for kiting.

Oh and also geography so I could understand clouds ........and those dam rice paddies.

[ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next