Favorite Beaches: Big Bay, Hakgat, Melkboss, Cape Point - South Africa
Style: Wave Riding
Gear: 6-5
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

RRD Warranty

Postby Clear » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:27 pm

I bought in Jan 2013 a RRD Religion MKIII 5m from Cabrihna Shop of Cape Town.
In June 2013, in Sardinia, I connected the lines to the inflated kite and after 5 minutes, while I was dressing my wetsuit, it exploded.
The explosion was caused for the broke seam in connection the leading edge and the side bladder.
About 10 kiters were there and watch the explosion.
I talk about the episode direct with Mr. Roberto Ricci and he said me that the warranty does not cover this damage and the solution he gave me was fix it, sell it and I will give you a discountt on the next kite you buy us.
I disapproved his solution but I have had to fix the kite spending €100 for the labour and €70 for the expedition.
Is it possible that an expensive kite it is not covered by the warranty?
Has someone had a warranty kite problem like this before?

kitewise
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ct., Fla.,Aruba, OBX
Favorite Beaches: Pompano beach Fla.
LongbeachPark Stratford, Ct.
Boa Grande Aruba
OBX for sure
Gear: EPIC screamer and Renegade
EPIC DROID
BEST Thruster
Brand Affiliation: EPIC

Re: RRD WARRANTY

Postby kitewise » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:08 pm

Clear wrote:I bought in Jan 2013 a RRD Religion MKIII 5m from Cabrihna Shop of Cape Town.
In June 2013, in Sardinia, I connected the lines to the inflated kite and after 5 minutes, while I was dressing my wetsuit, it exploded.
The explosion was caused for the broke seam in connection the leading edge and the side bladder.
About 10 kiters were there and watch the explosion.
I talk about the episode direct with Mr. Roberto Ricci and he said me that the warranty does not cover this damage and the solution he gave me was fix it, sell it and I will give you a discountt on the next kite you buy us.
I disapproved his solution but I have had to fix the kite spending €100 for the labour and €70 for the expedition.
Is it possible that an expensive kite it is not covered by the warranty?
Has someone had a warranty kite problem like this before?

Nope! This is not so unusual. Sounds like you had a slight tear or hole from use. As any virgin will tell you, it only takes one little prick! You Pump that sucker up, it heats up a bit and bang!
The bladder pops out and tears from your original problem.
Does not sound like a warranty issue, sadly
Phil

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster

Re: RRD Warranty

Postby Jbrook » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:20 pm

Maybe you should have gone thru normal customer service channels, we hear about this all the time on this forum. The companies have them in place to better serve customers. Just how it is not necessarily how I think it should be?? Actually I dont think about this, have been lucky with my material I guess. :naughty:

Air_Pharaoh
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ras Sedr, Red Sea
Favorite Beaches: To be decided
Gear: F-One Bandit Kites
Mystic Harness

Postby Air_Pharaoh » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:29 am

I heard that was the norm with RRD. The center I kite at was an RRD distributor. 10 kites in the last year exploded or ripped after only a couple of sessions. The center contacted RRD and they said they won't cover it.

The center now is moving to Wainman. :D

BigPaul
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Manchester
Style: Free ride
Gear: North

Postby BigPaul » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:29 pm

I would at least have thought they would have asked to look at the kite. Even just a photo. I don't feel you got a fair deal there.

There are plenty of reason that can make any kite from any brand do this.

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:40 pm

Air_Pharaoh wrote:I heard that was the norm with RRD. The center I kite at was an RRD distributor. 10 kites in the last year exploded or ripped after only a couple of sessions. The center contacted RRD and they said they won't cover it.

The center now is moving to Wainman. :D
Ignore this plonker

As said good chance no warranty claim on this due to time but you would at least expect them to loook at the kite and provide a reasonable explanation why i.e evidence of damage, wear etc.

I have had similar situations happen before, funnily enough with Best kites that people seem to hate, and both times they were unable to identify the exact cause so gave me a new kite :thumb:

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Jbrook » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:16 pm

I dont ride RRD anymore but still like them, but found their service really good in the US, Jeff is a cool guy.

If I owned a kite company stuff like this would always be warrantied and then I would never have to worry about losing customers only adding, they probably have a bunch of overproduction kites anyway left over by now as the race to who gets out the 2014 kite in 2013 summer goes on. Sounds like the owner of the kite company has lost contact with who made him popular, his customers.

AdrenalinDriven
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wakestyle
Gear: Those dangerous C shaped ones

Postby AdrenalinDriven » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:42 am

You're an idiot. Anyone that tries to say that a kite just magically exploded can get fucked. I see it all the time. YOU are the problem not the kites. Take it up with the company, not on a forum. I've flown RRD only a couple of times and honestly didn't like them so much (for me) but they are fine kites with good quality. Sack up and realize that you either got a nick in it on the beach, or over inflated the shit out of it.

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:46 am

Hiya,

I don't know about your *magical* term (maybe you want to define it a bit more) but twice I saw kites explode "out of nowhere" when they were just parked at the beach. They were not my kites.
Seams bust, bladders pooped and bang.

Cheers
Caesar 8)

BigPaul
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Manchester
Style: Free ride
Gear: North

Postby BigPaul » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:01 pm

Adrenalin Driven, you are bang out of order.

Kit is expensive and as the buyer you are well with in your rights to get something inspected to see if its faulty. Faults do happen all the time. this is no reflection on any brand it's just life. to say your new kite exploded live with it cause it more than likely your fault (which it probably is) is just plain stupid.

Take it to the company not the forum??????? what the f*** is a forum for! yes take this up with whom he bought it from first. but he has and got an unsatifactory response. Asking the Forum rather than just excepting their answer is the correct thing to do.

RRD make great products that is not in question. They normally have fantastic customer service. On this one I'd agree he has cause for concern.

Paul

Return to “Kitesurfing”