Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

North 2013 light wind freeride+big airs kite: Fuse or Dyno?

Forum for kitesurfers
Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Casuarina Beach
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Foil/Wave/Freeride
Gear: Duotone 13m Juice 2020
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Duotone Pace 4'10 Foilboard with Carve 950 + GT 90cm mast
North Nugget 5'3" Surfboard
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: North light wind freeride + airtime: Fuse vs Dyno?

Postby Puetz » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:22 pm

davesails7 wrote:
Puetz wrote:... so in your opinon, does the LTD have the same power as the 18 (static power) or do you have to sine it to get what you want?
Can't really say. We should get 10-15 knots all day on Sunday so should have time to try the two kites back to back. The two sessions I had on the LTD were rushed, so not time to pump two giant kites. I'll try to get some video too.

I don't feel like the 18 had much static power/grunt either, but made huge power from diving it one time. This might be because I almost never ride it in >12 knots. For 12+ knots i'm on my 11m rebel with the raceboard.

I've never ridden the 2012.
... actually your right, what I ment by "static pull" is the park power once you dived the kite and got some speed. I feel the 18m keeps pulling, and not like a 'downwind truck circa 2005 20m kite' style mind you, but it keeps very steady power. I suspect the LTD, 2013 Dyno and Edge are going to be similar, in that you need speed for them to be powerful, which means you need to keep them moving to truely get the desired horsepower.

I look forward to your findings.

cheers,

Robbie :D

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:28 pm

Puetz wrote:
davesails7 wrote:
Puetz wrote:... so in your opinon, does the LTD have the same power as the 18 (static power) or do you have to sine it to get what you want?
Can't really say. We should get 10-15 knots all day on Sunday so should have time to try the two kites back to back. The two sessions I had on the LTD were rushed, so not time to pump two giant kites. I'll try to get some video too.

I don't feel like the 18 had much static power/grunt either, but made huge power from diving it one time. This might be because I almost never ride it in >12 knots. For 12+ knots i'm on my 11m rebel with the raceboard.

I've never ridden the 2012.
... actually your right, what I ment by "static pull" is the park power once you dived the kite and got some speed. I feel the 18m keeps pulling, and not like a 'downwind truck circa 2005 20m kite' style mind you, but it keeps very steady power. I suspect the LTD, 2013 Dyno and Edge are going to be similar, in that you need speed for them to be powerful, which means you need to keep them moving to truely get the desired horsepower.

I look forward to your findings.

cheers,

Yeh robbie I get ya. This is the difference I find with the 2013 zephyr. Sure you aren't going as fast on the edge but you can still crank upwind by diving the kite and pulling in where the lower aspect gives you that static pull you are talking about. Also at 17m much easier to jump as you don't need that speed as much in the kite.

I predict the fuse would also have this to a greater degree than the Dyno for sure. Bringing the zephyr to Bali so you can have a crack to see what I mean relative to Tony's.

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Postby Puetz » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:23 am

... I'd love to try the 2013 Zepher, can't wait. :thumb:

I wasn't a fan of the older versions of Zephers, for me I had to work the kite too much as opposed to my old Core or Dyno which were much more powerful. Unless the kite was in 15+ knots, it felt spongy and soft, no real 'poke' to it. I reckon I've gotten spoilt by lots of clean power from the Dyno and anything less is a struggle for me to warm too.

I've tried a few low aspect low wind kites too and the most glareing thing is the upwind isn't as good but they do ride in waves much better, lots of fun indeed. I tried the Naish Fly, Blade Fat Lady, Epic Infinity and Core 17m, all great fun in waves but they all had a trait that I didn't warm too and that is the "bridle" feel. Slightly soft and spongy. Even the Ozone Edge had a soft feel too it, but less obvious than the others. Maybe I'm being too picky and don't get me wrong, not saying they are bad, just not my cup of tea.

Anyway, I'll have to keep nursing my old girl along and hope it lasts til I get a new one, what ever it may be????

cheers,

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:34 am

Yeh the 2013 is a very different kite. But it still has that ozone feel you call soft, I call refined. Lol.

North does have that extra obvious poke. I do get ya! That being said I got on an rebel the other day for a trip down memor lane and it felt spongy to me compared to the 2013 edge. Weird how you dial in to a certain feel.

Having flown north I do know what you mean though. They have a certain feel just like ozone do. I also agree on the pulley thing.

Sounds like you are looking for something less racey than the Dyno but still with some aspect (like me once you understand and love aspect its hard to go back) and with that distinctive north feel.

Sounds like a big fuse to me bro.

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:54 am

The diff I feel in the LTD 17 and the 2013 Dyno 17 VS the 18 Dyno is when you get a Puff of wind the LTD and the 2013 greatly increase your STATIC pull into board Speed immediately!!

The 2013 is Much more Even in the power delivery. That s with 3M Exts.

The18 is a great kite. I owned one. The LTD and the 2013 IMO are Way more versatile with the Range and are VERY Fast Kites increasing Board Speed.

With that said, I have only ridden them with the Nugget and the Flydoor XL. No Surfboard yet. Hope 2 this weekend.

The 2013 is a COMPLETELY diff looking and Flying kite. The LTD and the 2013 look NOTHING alike in the Air. I like the 2013 w No Pulleys!

The LTD and the 2013 are close to 17.8M in Size so I a told.

I weigh 245 Pies and don't jump much. Can't comment in the Boosting of either.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:22 am

There you go robbie...looks like ya got some threads to follow...seeya soon buddy.

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Postby Puetz » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:19 am

Westozzy wrote:There you go robbie...looks like ya got some threads to follow...seeya soon buddy.
... yeah finally hey! I can't wait for Bali, I'm so excited I can taste it,,,, mmmmm Bintang and waves, here I come!!!!

I had another session on my small kite today (yeah I call my 14m as my small kite) and it re-enforced my ideas that I really need a stable kite that has precise steering when bar out and power on demand with one little pull of the bar. Rebel does this for me so well I love it.

The biggest thing that annoys me is when a kites performance characteristics changes when you depower it or worse it behaves different (steering wise) where ever the bar is positioned ie from totally in to totally out and inbetween. Now, not having a go, but the Naish Fly behaved different when bar was totally in, and to bar totally out against the stopper ball. Not a bad thing, and it didn't stall or anything but something I couldn't warm too. Not the Rebel or Dyno, it stays the same no matter where you pull the bar. I've tried a few and all the bridle based kites seem to do that. But not the Rebel (when I ride it). The Dyno too doesn't seem to change its characteristics from bar in to bar out either (apart from the obvious power change, I'm not meaning that).

Anyway, I digress, had a few after kite beers so I'm a little p!ssed and rambling.

Seeya soon Eppo,

Robbie :thumb:

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Postby Puetz » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:46 am

14ToeSide wrote:The diff I feel in the LTD 17 and the 2013 Dyno 17 VS the 18 Dyno is when you get a Puff of wind the LTD and the 2013 greatly increase your STATIC pull into board Speed immediately!!

The 2013 is Much more Even in the power delivery. That s with 3M Exts.

The18 is a great kite. I owned one. The LTD and the 2013 IMO are Way more versatile with the Range and are VERY Fast Kites increasing Board Speed.

With that said, I have only ridden them with the Nugget and the Flydoor XL. No Surfboard yet. Hope 2 this weekend.

The 2013 is a COMPLETELY diff looking and Flying kite. The LTD and the 2013 look NOTHING alike in the Air. I like the 2013 w No Pulleys!

The LTD and the 2013 are close to 17.8M in Size so I a told.

I weigh 245 Pies and don't jump much. Can't comment in the Boosting of either.

... how'd ya go 14?? :D

mr moon
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shoreham (UK)
Favorite Beaches: Brandon Bay, Silver Sands & a few more
Style: Wave / Freeride
Gear: North, Firewire, Wainman, Ozone

Postby mr moon » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:41 am

Any more feedback on the Fuse 16m 2013?

WndRdr
Medium Poster

Postby WndRdr » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:03 pm

mr moon wrote: Can it be flown on the 5th element bar on 5 lines??
Both 4 and 5 lines. I ride with 5 lines. 5th line is not loaded. In the front lines it has different setup (different knots to connect the lines) for 4 line and 5 line bars.

Return to “Kitesurfing”