Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Anyone kited the Slingshot SP Wakesurfer?

Forum for kitesurfers
Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Anyone kited the Slingshot SP Wakesurfer?

Postby Slappysan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:19 pm

I got a set of FCS fins to replace the crappy plastic DFS fins that came with my SP but I'm having a hard time fitting the FCS fins in to the DFS fin boxes. Looks like I'll have to take a file to either the boxes or the fin plugs.

Anyone dealt with this before? Any advice?

The fins were 1/3 the price of the whole board and they are made from G10 material so I think I'd rather modify the boxes but I'm worried about putting a hole through the box.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:33 pm

Slappysan wrote:Anyone dealt with this before? Any advice?
I had no problems putting FCS fins in my 2012 SP. Are you sure you have the bolts backed out all the way?

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Postby L0KI » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:08 pm

davesails7 wrote:I had no problems putting FCS fins in my 2012 SP.
Are you sure you have the setscrews backed out all the way?
Got some Slingshot FCS fins and they dropped right in.
But I do think DFS/FCS fin boxes are shite.
That setscrew at a 45 degree angle is super crappy.
The mini tuttle boxes that Slingshot was using in 2011 are waaaaaay better.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:14 pm

Well I guess I'll sand out the fin boxes a bit, anyone have any recommendations on what to use to sand them? The part that I need to sand the most is in the corners so it might be tricky.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Postby L0KI » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:59 pm

Take the setscrews all the way out and feel where they come through the wall of the box.
Often they leave a pretty big burr where they come through from the drilling and tapping.
Get a good razor blade or X-Acto knife and cut the burrs off until the wall of the box is smooth.
That is likely the problem.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:29 pm

I replaced my fins with some higher quality FCS fiberglass fins as well. I never rode it back to back before/after the fin swap, but I feel like it drives better. Could be all in my head.

However, I have now experimented several times riding with and without the rear fins installed. From the get-go I rode it once, then took off the rears and declared it a superior more fun board. Reading some conflicting opinions here and from a local with the same board I did some experimenting & determined the following;

*2 front fins installed
With only the front fins the board is fun and snappy! You can turn it on a dime and really tear up a small wave. Heck, it makes a good size ripple fun! If you want it to track more solidly, put your rear foot over the two front fins. If you want to to loosen up, but your rear foot farther back.

The board is a bit less stable with only the front fins installed and you are definitely more likely to lose it out from underneath you on transitions or in high winds / bigger waves. BUT, having said that it is still much more stable than a skim board. Upwind performance is excellent. This is the fin configuration for light to medium conditions.

*all 4 fins installed
With all four fins installed the board is solid! The transitions that were easy to begin with, on only two fins, are easier in this mode. You feel like you can put your two feet just about anywhere you want on the board and it'll still drive nicely without sliding out from under you.

For me, this mode feels more like a surf board (solid tracking) and less like the fun nuggety wakesurfer that I had in mind. For larger surf or heavier wind I'll put all the fins on the board. It still goes upwind great in either setup! I'll use this mode for moderate to heavy wind. For light wind, 4 fins takes the fun out of this board.

For wakeboarding, it is fine either way. If you already are accustomed to riding it, 2 fins is fun. If you are new to the board, 4 fins will keep it less slippery behind the boat.

I have yet to try the board with the rear fins on, and the front fins off. This is another "mode" mentioned in one of the board write-ups.

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:08 pm

just got a used space pickle, stock FCS fins, looking for upgrade and don't want to research really, have to many kite looping videos to watch... :D

anyways looking for max upwind in light conditions, 200 lbs, not looking to break the bank either so a compromise between performance and price

any suggestions?

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:13 pm

Advice:
Grind, sand, pot your fin bases to your heart's content but...
Probably better to NOT MOD BOXES.
if there is a burr to clean up as described above, fine.
Much more than that, you might make a problem you can't fix easily or that could require major surgery.

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:20 pm

great board!! has more low end than shinn waterbird i used to have, starting to get jibes down after a couple tacks, surprisingly good in the chop, great for the mushy waves associated at my spot with light winds

fins blow!! broke one, fins would vibrate in instances before i broke it, have mayhem fcs on order, we will see how much better those are

great to use this board and ride my 12 when its even worth going to the beach

Return to “Kitesurfing”