Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Q-power Line Extensions - Connecting and Knots

Postby Westozzy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:04 am

Can you elaborate on the con guys. The stiffness when setting up? What the lines are hard to unroll from your bar?

And I assume the response on big kites gives you a quicker turning kite. ??

Caesar have emailed you man on the other issue. Lol

Dr Makani
Medium Poster
Local Beach: CA, HI
Been thanked: 0

Postby Dr Makani » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:07 am

Westozzy wrote:Can you elaborate on the con guys. The stiffness when setting up? What the lines are hard to unroll from your bar?

And I assume the response on big kites gives you a quicker turning kite. ??
Not at all. They unroll from your bar differently. IMHO easier, they don't tangle so easy as traditional lines do. Q lines are just a bit stiffer. Hard to find a comparison. Let me try this: Imagine a five inch piece of line. You can hold that line straight, like an antenna. On the other hand you can do everything with it, bend it, knot it, kink it ... It will stay the way you left it. :D The line has some sort of carbon core and is sleeved into a woven synthetic material.

Once wet they are more flexible. But still a bit stiffer than traditional carbon lines. Therefor they don't tangle so easy. If you manage to get a spaghetti ball, I think they are easier to untie.

These lines are so dense, that you'll have instant contact to your kite. No stretching, no delay, rather the aerodynamic twist of your kite. You pull, the kite twists and turns ...
Some say they don't stretch at all, some do a one time stretch before going on the water. I don't. In five years all my Q's still have the same length.

The lines are thinner than regular carbon lines. So they whistle in the wind. Some find this annoying while I love it. The moment they whistle I know I have the right wind speed. :D

They float (sorta'). I use yellow lines so I can see them in the water and won't get entangled.

Bottom line: I use traditional lines for my smaller kites (8 & 9m Naish) and the Q's on my 13m.

peace

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:25 am

Cheers makani....where did you source yours. This was out up a while back but I have lost the link!! Reckon these on my 17m zephyr would be ideal!

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:25 am

there is nothing wrong with mixing and matching q-powerline with regular 12 strand line, I do it all the time. I ride pretty hard I snap several lines each year, and never had a line snap where the q-powerline and regular kiteline are lark's headed. It doesn't look pretty, but who cares about that. I say do it, mix the q-powerline with north lines. The only time you need to worry about using q-powerline is if it has to pass through a 5th line or single center line safety and that's not the case for you.

I like using pigtails on my q-powerline near the kite end because it is easier to make a lark's head with a pigtail but for the line side I prefer no pigtails less stuff on the line means less likely it wiill get caught on something and cause a failed launch

q-powerline is prolly the best kiteboarding line. It wears better than any other kiteline. There are only two cons 1) it can't be spliced only knotted so for some kites it won't feed thru the safety system and 2) if you snap or cut a line you can't get out your splicing tools and splice in a new section of line to fix it, you just have to cut all 4 lines so they are shorter and then make new knots.

I don't think the stiffness or whatever is a pro or con, just a silghtly different feel and it whistles more than regular line again not a pro or con just different.

The ozone bar is a single center line flag out system so it requires a spliced line to feed through the safety system, can't use q-powerline to replace your line sets.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:07 am

Cheers for that edt. Shame.

Jantrit
Rare Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Jantrit » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:16 pm

Thanks for the replies! I think I am going to give it a try. I am only looking for some extensions for those light wind days so no worries about feeding through a safety system. I'll post my results after I get them.

Again thanks for replies.

Return to “Kitesurfing”