Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite scooter could outpace raceboards: Prototype video

Forum for kitesurfers
zob
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grado Pineta (IT), Fossalon (IT)
Style: Freeride, strapless hooked-in
Gear: FS S3 19m2 DLX, S3 CE 12m2 DLX & S4 8m2 DLX
Homemade Surf & Snow Boards
MBS Pro90

Re: Kite scooter could outpace raceboards: Prototype video

Postby zob » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:11 pm

I tought SP3 DLX 21m2 gets a lighter rider riding in 6kts with a LW board.
It looks like a totaly different sport. Not appealing for me!
Wat is your price estimate? Close to SP3 DLX 21m2 price? :bye:

g00se
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby g00se » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:21 pm

It's cool that you tried something different and it seems to work pretty well.

Not such a good idea to use Stephen Hawking for the video narrative though :wink:

kibokit
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Agonda Beach, Goa
Gear: Speed 3 21sqm + Kayak

Postby kibokit » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:24 pm

frankm1960 wrote:
kibokit wrote: Main reason for this, I suppose, is a steep learning curve and it being physically and mentally exhausting, at least for beginners.
In the following video I am presenting a prototype of a kite scooter with a heel free rigging system, which could be operated almost instantly and effortlessly by any kiter.

Any feedback, praise, concerns, suggestions, questions, etc. welcome

Ingo
If no one's using raceboards it might be because it's a whole new discipline in the same way using a surfboard is. They're not more difficult, they require new and different skills than TT. You have to take time to learn it. Not only that you have to pay for the damn board... more gear... more decisions on what to use and when, more stuff to carry around :lol:

That scooter is just another one of those light wind tools.... a reinvention of the already pretty good wheel sort of... except it looks more complicated and awkward and heavy and WAY more dangerous and not likely easy to learn like you say and likely way less fun cause you're getting your ass whooped by the seat :lol:

You can use a nice simple name like scooter to fool people all you want but it is what it is... a frankenstinean, heavy, dangerous, giant blender waiting for it's first victim. Totally ridiculous and not worth a penny of investment dollars. I say total waste of energy and time.

If you were on shark tank they'd bite you :lol:
But then I don't know squat about investing in new products :lol:

You did ask and so now I'll let you pummel me :lol:
Your frank reply leaves me absolutely speechless :cry: , which doesn't matter much, I suppose, as I seemingly anyway wouldn't have stood any chances to convince you of the ingenuity :o of my invention.
At least you haven't been left indifferent, which would have been even worse :)

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:40 pm

frankm1960 wrote:...That scooter is just another one of those light wind tools.... a reinvention of the already pretty good wheel sort of... except it looks more complicated and awkward and heavy and WAY more dangerous and not likely easy to learn like you say and likely way less fun cause you're getting your ass whooped by the seat :lol:...
i think as well it is accident waiting to happen.
i don't like the idea of leading the kite lines through the metal ring.
i don't like whole overcomplicated metal hardware construction in front of the rider at all. somebody will get hurt eventually, rider or innocent bystander.

kibokit
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Agonda Beach, Goa
Gear: Speed 3 21sqm + Kayak

Postby kibokit » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:48 pm

zob wrote:I tought SP3 DLX 21m2 gets a lighter rider riding in 6kts with a LW board.
It looks like a totaly different sport. Not appealing for me!
Wat is your price estimate? Close to SP3 DLX 21m2 price? :bye:
I need 9 to 10knts with the 21sqm Speed3 and a big board (no door) with my 85 kg to just be able to stay upwind, not much fun though.
With the prototype I can ride and enjoy from about 8knts onwards (or ride boringly slowly in ~6knts), but the low end could certainly be greatly improved if professionals would design and build it.
I'd estimate a price of 4000$/3000 Euro, so slightly more than a Speed3, I am as clueless as you however, haven't yet even contacted any potential manufacturers.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:27 pm

It is different, but I think you would have to show that it is better in some way and I cant see how it is better than say a Paracat catamaran. So you would have to have hard evidence with GPS or suchlike that it was better in some way.

As you can see, they reckon they need suspension on the Seatkite.

This next guy has developed a self-stabilising kite and self-stabilising foil. If it is developed to be reliable enough, you could have the kiter in the air above the water with no board, so you only need to buy the foil. The kite pulls on say a sliding harness and the harness is anchored to the foil. This is the sort of thing you could be competing against.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:02 pm

g00se wrote:It's cool that you tried something different and it seems to work pretty well.

I Agree 100 % , people don't try stuff because there afraid
of getting Laughed at ; i'm Not laughing !! :thumb:

Now take some of the criticism thrown at you , and Improve on
your idea ; it's worth your time .

Bille

jrfiol
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cayo Enrique, La Parguera; Montones Beach, Isabela; Dorado Beach, Dorado.
Favorite Beaches: Not yet.
Style: waverider, freestyle
Gear: Slingshot RPM 10, Darko 135. I also have a Liquid Force Havoc 12 and Rally 14M.

Postby jrfiol » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:12 pm

Very interesting, I congratulate you on your ingenuity.

Does the metal ring affect the steering of the kite?

Big safety concern with the foils, otherwise looks like a lot of fun! Please keep us in the loop as your design progresses.

@ g00se - LOL

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:32 pm

kibokit wrote:Your frank reply leaves me absolutely speechless :cry: , which doesn't matter much, I suppose, as I seemingly anyway wouldn't have stood any chances to convince you of the ingenuity :o of my invention.
I get the ingenuity part for sure. It's really good how you put it together and all the engineering talents you possess... way better than any thing I could do. Put the project on your resume it's that good.

But it's still a BAD idea for many reasons and if I were you I would step back and cease work on it. You're wasting your time if your goal is to make it into a product.

Here's a ridiculous idea and it's still better than yours... strip all metal off your "scooter", add wheels and a leg rope... there... you have an amphibious surfboard... kids can paddle it into the water and surf right back up on shore... when time to go... throw all your beach gear on it, grab the legrope and you have a pull cart to haul all your stuff back to the car :)

But I used to hate golf :lol: so what the hell do I know.

All in good fun... you're a genius compared to me and most others I'm sure... just a smokn bad idea (((((IMO)))) and that's what I want to get across :)

So give me one good reason why that's a good idea and I'll shut up :)

jrfiol
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cayo Enrique, La Parguera; Montones Beach, Isabela; Dorado Beach, Dorado.
Favorite Beaches: Not yet.
Style: waverider, freestyle
Gear: Slingshot RPM 10, Darko 135. I also have a Liquid Force Havoc 12 and Rally 14M.

Postby jrfiol » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:58 pm

frankm1960 wrote:
kibokit wrote:Your frank reply leaves me absolutely speechless :cry: , which doesn't matter much, I suppose, as I seemingly anyway wouldn't have stood any chances to convince you of the ingenuity :o of my invention.
I get the ingenuity part for sure. It's really good how you put it together and all the engineering talents you possess... way better than any thing I could do. Put the project on your resume it's that good.

But it's still a BAD idea for many reasons and if I were you I would step back and cease work on it. You're wasting your time if your goal is to make it into a product.

Here's a ridiculous idea and it's still better than yours... strip all metal off your "scooter", add wheels and a leg rope... there... you have an amphibious surfboard... kids can paddle it into the water and surf right back up on shore... when time to go... throw all your beach gear on it, grab the legrope and you have a pull cart to haul all your stuff back to the car :)

But I used to hate golf :lol: so what the hell do I know.

All in good fun... you're a genius compared to me and most others I'm sure... just a smokn bad idea (((((IMO)))) and that's what I want to get across :)

So give me one good reason why that's a good idea and I'll shut up :)

Sometimes it takes an idea like this to push forward on a really useful creation. The application for this kite scooter are not clear, but neither were the applications for the internet when first conceived.

Back to the scooter... I would like to have something similar for light wind days. I'd be lying if I'd say that I would prefer this to an MX-Ray... but its just a prototype, give it some R&D, perhaps it be better than hauling an MX-Ray around.

Whatever... I like wind toys

Return to “Kitesurfing”