Forum for kitesurfers
wadoepotatoe
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Tips for 180s on a surfboard?

Postby wadoepotatoe » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:36 am

Okay I've been attempting 180s on a surfboard while popping off some chop. Now I can swing the board around but it seems as the fins 'catch' once I've rotated the 180 and I fall off the board. Any tips or advice??? Too far back/forward?? Cheers,

-Wade.

ulx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter-Ording, Germany
Favorite Beaches: Klitmøller (Denmark) and South Africa
Style: Strapless Surf- and Foilboard
Gear: Slingshot SST 8,7,6,5
Firewire Vader
Ketos Foil with Kakoo board 108x44

Re: Tips for 180s on a surfboard?

Postby ulx » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:18 pm

what makes it easier for me:
wide stance, front foot far foreword
trying to land more or less over my front foot
bending my knees a lot for getting the weight down low
Kite high
hope this helps :-)

Dr Makani
Medium Poster
Local Beach: CA, HI

Postby Dr Makani » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:26 am

I am doing these turns with my regular surfboard quite often, but it's a bit trickier with a kite-sb. I think three factors playing a role, weight distribution, rocker and fin box.
I think it's simple yet a bit complex to explain. before we get started, let's define: a nose is nose, tail is still the tail, regardless how or in which direction the board is ridden.
A kite-sb has less rocker. After the turn you need to distribute a bit more weight onto the nose section to lift the fins. SB fins are around 5 inch and have a huge steering capacity. I am riding a 'fish' with only 2 fins. So if your board has quad fins, I would suggest that you take off two of them, the outer ones. Yes, your board will fishtail a bit, but is also easier to handle. Once you get the groove, you can put them back on .

So, again, after the turn (or flip), get your weight all the way to the nose. Don't try to edge (not yet), until you know how to distribute your weight.

peace

wadoepotatoe
Rare Poster

Postby wadoepotatoe » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:06 am

Thanks for the tips guys! I think my weight is too far forward so next time out I'll work on that. Oh and yes the board is a quad and maybe dropping a couple of fins will help. Cheers!!!

-Wade.

Return to “Kitesurfing”