Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Jake Kelsick - Triple S Invitational 2013

Postby Toby » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:10 pm

Ozone News:

Jake Kelsick - Triple S Invitational 2013

1 ozone.png
1 ozone.png (441.23 KiB) Viewed 874 times
This year’s Triple S was the biggest one yet. Being an invite only event, with a brand new format and even more of the best riders from around the world attending. It was all time!

Cape Hatteras is an amazing Island that is set up perfect if you are looking for endless green grass kite spots and nice sandy beach breaks. It is basically a big sand bar with a sound on one side, that is ideal for flat water riding and the ocean on the other which is perfect for kitesurfing waves or paddling into a few rollers.

I have never been heavy into the competition scene so the format this year took some getting use to. In the previous years they had a jam format, which is where all the riders go and shred for a week and at the end the riders, photographers and event organizers vote on who they think should take the win.

This year it was a completely new format, they had 3 heats with around 9 riders in each heat and every rider got 4 runs through the course. There are 3 sections at the Triple S. Surf, Slicks and Sliders, I competed in the Slicks and Sliders sections. It was fun getting to ride the park with the best kiteboarders around, but I struggled with the strict format of only having 4 shots to bag your best tricks. I am use to warming up and feeling out the park before busting out your biggest tricks. This year I didn’t make it the podium but even when your not winning there is always some fun to be had.

Real Watersports is where the Triple S is held every year and they have a dream set up. Flat water just upwind of their huge kite shop and restaurant. A kite park filled with a few rails and kickers on the sound side and if you feel the need for some waves all you have to do is cross over to the ocean side.

It was great to see the level of riding this year. Everyone has improved so much compared to a few years ago and for me coming from Antigua where there aren’t many kiteboarders it’s always good to see what the top guys from around the world are doing to keep you motivated and inspired to keep progressing as a rider as well.

All in all the Triple S was a great event. And I would like to thank Ozone kites and Tona boards for helping me get out there and providing me with great gear to ride.

Return to “Kitesurfing”