All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: kiting on old (2006) gear?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:22 pm 
Medium Poster

Hi all,

I have taken enough lessons that I can now kite upwind in medium winds and have started doing turns, though have trouble in low (12 knot) winds. Many years ago before taking lessons I bought an 2006 airush C kite which I've pulled out of the bag once, pumped up, and put away. Is it a bad idea to kite on old gear? Or is it doable and safe?

Also, some of the parts look weird on it. I don't understand this leash - anyone know how it's supposed to hook up? There's no pin assembly so I'm not sure how you would release it--it looks like velcro :o

Attachment:
controlbar.jpg
controlbar.jpg [ 73.64 KIB | Viewed 1100 times ]

Attachment:
leash.jpg
leash.jpg [ 123.7 KIB | Viewed 1100 times ]

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: kiting on old (2006) gear?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:06 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Looks like a wrist strap safety leash? Use a strap hooked to your harness instead. WRT kiting on that gear, not a good idea, the newer gear is a lot safer.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:28 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

......................I am sure someone will ask that same question in 2020........................................

....................................... kiting on old (2013) gear?........................ :wink: .............................

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:35 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Nothing wrong with 2006 gear. If the leash is supposed to go on your wrist that is a no no though and needs to be attached to your harness. Some stuff needs to be modified to be up to date.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:44 pm 
Medium Poster

You can look for a modern bar to fit on the airush kite. What model of airush kite is it?
I guess an airush analog bar would fit if it's a 4-line kite (which I guess looking at the wrist leash).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:49 am 
Very Frequent Poster

SupaEZ wrote:
......................I am sure someone will ask that same question in 2020........................................

....................................... kiting on old (2013) gear?........................ :wink: .............................

Maybe so, and who knows what advancements are going to take place in the next few years? But I think there were some very significant safety advancements in the few years after 05/06. Not so dramatic from 2008 on.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:16 am 
Medium Poster

Mitchel_12000 wrote:
You can look for a modern bar to fit on the airush kite. What model of airush kite is it?
I guess an airush analog bar would fit if it's a 4-line kite (which I guess looking at the wrist leash).

It's an airush flow 2006. 4 line, but they had a 5 line add-on which I bought for it. Is this bar particularly bad?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:16 am 
Medium Poster

I dont understand people that say that gear is dangerous compared to bridled kites. I personally feel safer on a 5 line c. How many people have got hurt or dead from bridle wraps or breaks. People have been seriously lofted on these "safer" kites from pilot error, pure stupidity , or just plain bad luck.

Those kites are great. I think im a better kiter for flying c's. Just fly the kite in its stated wind range and dont have hard shit down wind of you. Youll be a more competent kiter flying those kites.

You could also just give it to me :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:16 am 
Medium Poster

Nobody said bridled kites are safer. It's the wrist leash that's bothering me. I believe the airush flow is a good kite though not really a beginners kite.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:26 am 
Medium Poster

The problem with old gear is that it fails.
Kitesurfing gear has significant wear to it.
If you are not an experienced kiter i suggest you don't use gear older than 3 years because you can find yourself in a pickle due to broken lines, turn kite, QR malfunctions etc.

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next