Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What makes an attractive Kite destination ?

Forum for kitesurfers
Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: What makes an attractive Kite destination ?

Postby Jbrook » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:51 pm

Matty your title is misleading all you are doing is defending Jamaica in your posts, for the record I like Jamaica and have been there numerous times but quit trying to discourage people going to Cabarete to go there with this attitude is just a bad angle. I live in NE Brasil imho one of the best places wind wise in the world. I think nowhere compares to the area I live in, but also Cabarete I think is alot safer than your average place in Jamaica. I went to Cabarete 3 years in a row and once I visited Brasil I never went back. First trip to Paracuru I bought a house near the beach and that was it. I am a commercial photographer I can live wherever I want and usually can find good work. The title of this post should be why you should come to Jamaica? Not what makes an attractive kite dest.

:argue:

MattyRossJa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Maiden Cay , Jamaica
Favorite Beaches: Maiden Cay , Bounty Bay , Round Hill , Pigeon Island (all jamaica)
Style: Freeride learning Freestyle
Gear: 2011 Cabrinha 10 Switchblade ... 2012 Cabrinha Chopstick
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby MattyRossJa » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:39 pm

DALLROCK KITER
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Dallas , Dallrock ray hubbard lake
Favorite Beaches: bozo, tarifa , hollie , north flats.
Style: old school fun
Gear: best

Postby DALLROCK KITER » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:11 pm

I have kited the world and nothing can compare to the two best spots in the world. Maui and Cabarete. Everyother place has its seasons and it's ups and downs.
I think you can say that it has something to do with their place in kiting history.
Both of those are at the top of the list.
As for why Jamica is not so popular, there are many reasons why Jamaica has a bad reputation,many of which have been said already.
The thing that would stand out the most is Safety.
Most people go on vacation to relax and enjoy , not worry about getting back to the resort before dark. I want to go eat lunch and not worry about my kite getting stolen or the cab driver killing me.
Maybe you can start to change that? Post some pictures of happy kiters at the spots , show us the reason to come. Invite us ,, that's all you have to do.
But just remember that you might just have it the best ,because right now you have the place all to yourself. NO crowds.
Personally I like people to land and launch me.. Hahah
Enjoy

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards

Postby sijandy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:56 pm

How dare you suggest we come visit your amazing kite spots without double checking if we can get bummed first!!! :lol:

Jokes aside, people say about crime/danger bla bla etc but 9/10 it comes down to money, which for me as someone has already mentioned is the only put off - exspensive to get there. Like you said there are supposedly dangerous spots all over the world with all sorts of warnings but when you arrive at these places and get to know how it all works they're usually fine. Having lived in your country for 20years... how irritating on a scale of 1 to 10 is it being told what it's like to live in your country by people that do not live in your country ha ha.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:43 pm

Just use some common sense, don't flash if you don't want to get rolled you should know that no matter where you go. It's not like they are kidnapping people in Jamaica and ransoming them. That stuff happens in Yemen not Jamaica.

MattyRossJa
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Maiden Cay , Bounty Bay , Round Hill , Pigeon Island (all jamaica)

Postby MattyRossJa » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:20 pm

DALLROCK KITER wrote:I have kited the world and nothing can compare to the two best spots in the world. Maui and Cabarete. Everyother place has its seasons and it's ups and downs.
I think you can say that it has something to do with their place in kiting history.
Both of those are at the top of the list.
As for why Jamica is not so popular, there are many reasons why Jamaica has a bad reputation,many of which have been said already.
The thing that would stand out the most is Safety.
Most people go on vacation to relax and enjoy , not worry about getting back to the resort before dark. I want to go eat lunch and not worry about my kite getting stolen or the cab driver killing me.
Maybe you can start to change that? Post some pictures of happy kiters at the spots , show us the reason to come. Invite us ,, that's all you have to do.
But just remember that you might just have it the best ,because right now you have the place all to yourself. NO crowds.
Personally I like people to land and launch me.. Hahah
Enjoy
COME ! invite people all the time !
I agree to a lot of that. I'm trying my best to but an end to the frame of mind issue when thinking about traveling to Jamaica. I just had three american interns (22 yrs old) leave jamaica. They went all over the island together in little mini buses with the locals. had no safety issues... here is one of their blogs. http://katelynbusse.tumblr.com/

If i'm 'alone' i usually find someone who i can explain how to catch a kite. But I get you. We're having a big link up this sunday at Port Royal Beach, will definitely take some shots and share

MattyRossJa
Medium Poster

Postby MattyRossJa » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:22 pm

edt wrote:Just use some common sense, don't flash if you don't want to get rolled you should know that no matter where you go. It's not like they are kidnapping people in Jamaica and ransoming them. That stuff happens in Yemen not Jamaica.
Yeah visitors rarelyyyy get any issues in Jamaica, all inclusive or not. Just don't go out of your way to f*** with anyone, and normally in Jamaica you are fine ( as long as you're smart and aware) . like don't leave bags unattended in a car or kite gear unattended on a beach.

MattyRossJa
Medium Poster

Postby MattyRossJa » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:22 pm

edt wrote:Just use some common sense, don't flash if you don't want to get rolled you should know that no matter where you go. It's not like they are kidnapping people in Jamaica and ransoming them. That stuff happens in Yemen not Jamaica.
Yeah visitors rarelyyyy get any issues in Jamaica, all inclusive or not. Just don't go out of your way to f*** with anyone, and normally in Jamaica you are fine ( as long as you're smart and aware) . like don't leave bags unattended in a car or kite gear unattended on a beach.

I regularly kite alone and leave my bag (including car keys etc.) in a bag incognito on the beach. never had any issues. *touch wood*

MattyRossJa
Medium Poster

Postby MattyRossJa » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:25 pm

sijandy wrote:How dare you suggest we come visit your amazing kite spots without double checking if we can get bummed first!!! :lol:

Jokes aside, people say about crime/danger bla bla etc but 9/10 it comes down to money, which for me as someone has already mentioned is the only put off - exspensive to get there. Like you said there are supposedly dangerous spots all over the world with all sorts of warnings but when you arrive at these places and get to know how it all works they're usually fine. Having lived in your country for 20years... how irritating on a scale of 1 to 10 is it being told what it's like to live in your country by people that do not live in your country ha ha.
yeah it's pretty irritating. but yeah the Jamaican government taxes the hell out of airlines, so it's expensive to travel here. And Jamaica is generally a very expensive place. For such a poor country you'd think differently. But we import almost everything except Rum.

dchatzis
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Alameda, CA
Bodega Bay, CA
Favorite Beaches: Mikri Vigla, Naxos, Greece
Style: Freeride
Gear: Liquid Force NV 12, Best Roca 10, Best TS 8
Slingshot Asylum

Postby dchatzis » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:48 pm

Hey @MattyRossJa,

we plan to come to Jamaican's north shore in the winter between Dec/Jan. I have been reading that the wind is pretty good then. What is your opinion? Can we get some consistent wind?
In addition, are most north beaches kite-friendly, or do we need access to private beaches for kiting ?(I read about this somewhere).

Return to “Kitesurfing”