Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Review of Core XR2 LW 17m

Postby TomW » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:04 pm

Been out on this kite 5 times now and tested some various settings and boards during these sessions.
My stats: 50+, kiting 12 years, 80 kg, ride strapless 2011 Slingshot Celeritas and homemade Mako 150x42 ripoff.

using the new sensor bar, and used the esp bar for 3 years previously- outstanding setup, very light and I like small diameter bar, use gloves a lot in winter, spring, fall. New 'inline' center lines reduce turning force considerably, especially when cranking all the way.

Kite is very stable and it works with a wide range of power and depower settings. Ive had it on super depower and super powered. Even added knot above the 3 factory knot On the rear pigtails. Kite maintains steering even super depowered. In over sheeted state in super light wind I can get kite to back stall, but I am abusing the kite. I find this kite outstanding in stability and control in huge range line length differences.

Stated wind range of 7-18 knots is correct. At top end today I was easily riding on strapless board. I want to try it in 20 knots. Today was gusting to 16-18 but had kite on top rear pigtail knot and at full depower kite still had a lot of power. Top end control is outstanding.

At low end I dont find this kite driving upwind like some of my other kites have at their low end. Both my old and dead Eclipse thruster 14, Switch Element 13 and Nitro v1 14 are a bit better at lowend upwind. Note that I am talking about each kites respective low end. The low end of 7-9 knots im not expecting an upwind rocket.
Tried the 4 m line extensions one day a thought they added nothing but more mushy feel and
No added lowend or upwind ability. Took them off.

Ive followed kite on small waves and it does not drift well in light wind, but then the apparent wind is like 0 at that point, so its not suprising kite depowers.

Have now set up with "fastest" On rear lines and lightest bar pressure on bridle attachment. Wonderful balance and light feel in the kite. Turns fast for a 17, meets my high expectations. Bar pressure is low, which was a must have for me.

Did some jumping today on TT, in midrange wind. 15-16 knots. Outstanding height, float and redirect speed. Didnt loop it but I will try it. Pretty sure it will do it.

This is a great kite, and im sure the new XR3 LW is good. Perhaps they have improved upwind ability a bit without losing all the other great qualities. I'll keep this kite a long time.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Re: Review of Core XR2 LW 17m

Postby pj sofine » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:51 pm

Wonder how it compares to the epic infinity?Haven't read much about the infinity, they seem to be on the down-low. Nice review though,thanks. :thumb:

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm
Has thanked: 0

Postby SupaEZ » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:16 pm

pj sofine wrote:Wonder how it compares to the epic infinity?Haven't read much about the infinity, they seem to be on the down-low. Nice review though,thanks. :thumb:
Dunno about the 17...but my 19 sure "did a number" :wink: on that INF that seemed on the down-out

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:34 pm

I knew you would bite :) All' :thumb: s good

wallyman
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby wallyman » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:16 am

Bought a new one of these last summer, great kite, kiteloops easy, nice floaty jumps, had it out in 24knots still useable but a handfull I reckon 20knots would be the end of the comfortable limit at my 85kgs

What I did'nt like was the bar it's to small for a 17m, I have no idea why they run such a small bar for this size kite. I sold it off after trying my 55cm switchy bar on it , and bought a new one of these to replace it. The extra width definately gives the kite a bit more turning speed which is a big plus for a large kite. Also not a fan of the rope twist after multiple spins having to pull is down to untwist it . Lines are the same as what the switchy 2013 are using and look like bombproof material.

Have'nt tried many of the other brand big kites but with my switchy bar on this one I love it

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:22 am

Yea makes sense. Seems core has compromised On that to have one bar for all.

Discovered something bad about the safety release yesterday. I have rotating hook on my homemade sliding rope spreaderbar. If I twist the release it just rotates my hook.... Wont release.
Have to fix that somehow...or go back to fixed hook.

Return to “Kitesurfing”