Pterygium (Surfer's Eye)

Forum for kitesurfers
sc
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Pterygium (Surfer's Eye)

Postby sc » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:16 pm

[kiteforumtv][/kiteforumtv]

I have had it for years, started wearing sunglasses in the water 10 years ago and it slowed its progression. Here is some videos from the Harvard Eye Center, 1 video on main page and a few more under "videos".
I know at some point I will need this procedure.

http://www.harvardeye.com/procedures/pterygium.html

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Starsky » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:23 pm

Your not a real kiteboarder until you have goop growing in your eye and a golfball of cartilage in your rib cage!

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:17 am

I had left eye operated on to remove it. I find in addition to glasses an eye gel works. What I do is I put gel in my eyes before, during when taking a brake and after rinsing salt water at the end of session. Your eyes are getting dry from the wind and that's when the UV really bakes them good.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:32 am

Good advice all! A little prevention goes a long way :thumb:

lenker
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Bulabog
Been thanked: 0

Postby lenker » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:08 am

jakemoore wrote:Here is a reliable source for more information:
Someone please explain to me how an organization representing the manufacturers and suppliers of the optical industry would be considered a reliable source.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:30 am

lenker wrote:
Someone please explain to me how an organization representing the manufacturers and suppliers of the optical industry would be considered a reliable source.
Thats just how it is these days. We let the chicken snake protect the chickens! Big pharma, big oil, Wall street, Washington, you name it. Trust me, they all have your best interest in mind!

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:01 am

Consider whatever conflicts of interest may exist, and interpret with whatever caution you see fit. To simply dismiss something without critical thinking isn't much different than blindly accepting it.

Dr. Jake happens to be a very bright, well educated man of high integrity so I value his assessment of a reliable source (but I'm just some guy on an internet forum so of course my opinion must be interpreted with caution).

lenker wrote:

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:48 pm

I'm the only one here who ever wears glasses of any description - 720-armour Sharks v2. I was appreciating the reduced glare off the water, the lack of splashing in the eyes... but sunburned eyeballs? Great, something else to worry about :(

Jantrit
Rare Poster

Postby Jantrit » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:10 pm

I have been wearing sea specs for the last couple of years and keep a spare pair just in case my primary pair break or get lost. I have never had them come off and can wear them under my helmet no problem.

I had some eye issues that resulted in me seeing a number of different eye doctors all of them have been quite adamant that sunglasses should be worn when out on the water. I am a firm believer in this and won't kite without my sunglasses. I like sea specs but I highly recommend that everyone find whatever works for you and wear them! Eye issues are no fun and anything you can do to mitigate them is time and money well spent.

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby rightguard » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:49 pm

There is a guy I've been seeing out that wears a paintball mask... Full goggles with face mask. A little overkill but I like the look. I'm just not that cool to pull of full goggles, but I think the moto goggles would be great.

Return to “Kitesurfing”