Forum for kitesurfers
Maidra
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kite Tuning Help!

Postby Maidra » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:00 pm

Hey guys, relatively new to the sport just have a quick question about my 2008 16m liquid force session. About the second strut in from the wing tips, on either side, the kite seems to fold in on the leading edge when building momentum through the wind window. Sort of like a "flapping" motion. Now where I live there is no real kiting community and taking lessons isn't an option so everything is self taught. I haven't had the right conditions to get up and planing with the 16m session yet this summer but have been on the beach flying it and something feels off. I also own a 2004 12m flexifoil atom which flew with no real problems last summer and I was able to get up and planing. So this leads me to believe the problem has something to do with the lines/length maybe even the knots on the session. I am 5'11 165lbs with wind speeds anywhere from 15-30 kmh on a good day. Also riding on a 140cm slingshot twin tip. Thanks in advanced for you help!

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Re: Kite Tuning Help!

Postby knotwindy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:18 am

hard to tell without seeing it but if it is both sides it is PROBABLY not pumped up hard enough. Can you bend the wingtip with your hand easily? if so, then just not enough air in it.

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:26 am

sorry, your gonna have to deal with that. you can pump it up as hard as you want, it will help a little, but your still gonna buckle that wingtip when you load it up.

your kite doesnt have these, but if there are line (bridle, or backline) attachment point adjustments (where the bridle or back lines actually attach to the LE) you can try moving them, usually closer together (bridle towards windgtip, backline away from wingtip) that can help a little sometimes too.

refer to recent thread on stability, some kites have it, yours doesnt. thats a known issue with that kite. fortunately, it could be worse. imagine if you weighed 250 and were trying to use it in 18-25mph.

are you sure its an '04 atom? i didnt think those were around until 07, maybe 06
Last edited by bnthere on Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:59 am

Sounds like your not pumping hard enough. Kites should be about 8-10psi or feel like a basketball. If the leading edge is really fat in the center and more skinny at the wing tips then you need to pump pretty hard to keep it from flapping.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:00 am

pump it harder and by that I mean pump it 20 or so more times than what you're doing. Or buy a $10 pressure gauge and pump it to 8 psi just to feel how hard it's really supposed to be, then after you figure it out you can ditch the pressure gauge.

Maidra
Rare Poster

Postby Maidra » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:03 am

Thanks for the quick responses guys I appreciate the info. I would say it is most definitely not pumped up enough considering my pump hose burst and I finished blowing up the kite with my lungs. As for the atom I am not 100% it is an 04 that was just my best guess because I thought that was when the samba color scheme came out. I could do a little deeper digging to find out the actual year. Next opportunity I get ill for sure grab a gauge and pump it to the 8-10 psi range and hopefully it makes a difference. Thanks again guys!

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:55 am

Maidra,
If you can't find a gauge to see how much you are pumping the kite you can always check it by looking at the LE. If you see that you still have some creases on the LE while you are pumping then the kite needs to be pumped more. Then once you are finished pumping the kite, make sure to flick the LE of your kite with your fingers and it should do the same sound then a drum. That means its rock solid. Pumping the kite with your mouth won't work unless you are SUPERMAN.
Last edited by Dimitri M on Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:57 am

Maidra wrote:I would say it is most definitely not pumped up enough considering my pump hose burst and I finished blowing up the kite with my lungs.
Wait. What?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:42 pm

I have blown it up with lungs before one psi taco city

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River
Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn

Postby Kite2Heaven » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:24 pm

Maidra dude
Check your 2008 kite for a twisted leading edge bladder ???

Return to “Kitesurfing”