pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Is it really worth it?

Postby pj sofine » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:51 am

I would keep my eyes opened for good deals on 1-2 yr old kites.There's alot of kiters who are addicted to the latest/greatest and turn their gear over every year or so.Always great deals available.

Metaphor_
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Metaphor_ » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:56 am

bnthere wrote:there gets to be a point where you need to decide if it is still a good idea to use a kite to get yourself into a situation that could be really hard to get out of without it.
Interesting situation. Is there a danger if you're only kiting in sideshore or side-onshore winds without any big obstacles?
I would keep my eyes opened for good deals on 1-2 yr old kites.There's alot of kiters who are addicted to the latest/greatest and turn their gear over every year or so.Always great deals available.
I've noticed that 1-2 year old used kites seem to sell for about 70% of the retail price, whereas you can often find 1-2 year old new kites on closeout for nearly half off (sometimes more)... Not sure why that disparity exists? Do you guys worry about the history of used kites and whether there's a kiteastrophe waiting in the wings with used gear?

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:09 am

I'm probably the worst person to give advice on this becuase I change gear all the time, although I have to say I'm pretty settled now.

So what has been covered is all true. Three questions to ask yourself for the average joe:

1. Is the kite's I have right now limiting the style of riding i wish to develop.

2. Am I still having fun! (the most important question).

3. Are they still safe?

If you are still having fun, still progressing a little, still keeping the stoke and the kite/bar are still safe...hey why change?

If you feel you do have issues with the athe right gear for you. bove, spend a lot of time demoing rather than buy and sell like I have, until you finnally find the right gear. Be patient...the opposite of what I did! But hey got to understand a lot of kites and boards (personally i don't think you truly understand a peice of gear until you flown it for while in different conditions.).

Also like any option trade, time is ticking and gear is depreciating in value...but if you are like me, I only have the three focuses, work, kiting and family. So I spend a hell of a lot of time on the water, hence the cost per kite per session get's very low for me. If you can't get out that much then you need to consider what the cost is per session.

or if ya loaded, who gives a shit, new gear is always better!

Kiteus Maximus
Medium Poster

Postby Kiteus Maximus » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:32 am

If you only get in 50 sessions a year then it is a waste of money. I log clise to 300 sessions per year and rotate my gear at the end of each season so it's easy for me to justify.

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:15 am

y'all do much snowkiting? definitely want some solid gear overhead hucking cliffs. how about wave riding? swimming around 3/4 miles of reef in 10' plus to get back to the beach isnt much fun, getting out there was easy tho. popping a bridle or outside line attachment point in shallow water near shore mellow conditions with no downwind obstacles could still be a nasty surprise. its your call what you do: good judgement of conditions, location, and gear selection is all part of the game.

kites can definitely last a person more than 4 years (or less), its all about how much overall use and in what conditions. harsh sun and strong wind, blowing sand, rough beach areas, and aggressive riding all take their toll. mellow uv, freshwater, grass, mellow wind, mellow rider not so much.

i have been told paragliders are retired based on hours of use. after x many hours they are considered no longer reliable. i dont know how many hours that is, or even if it is actually true, but if so, kiting in some ways is not really that far off from paragliding.

and i agree, new gear day is always super fun, it is definitely worth it whether you needed it or not.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:44 am

Is it worth it? Economically? No.

The resale value of kites used to be excellent. In recent years it became very poor. Buying a full quiver of kites costs around $6000. You would be lucky to get $2000 for the lot after a year or so. That's $4000 a year. Say you're lucky and get $3000 then that's $3000 a year. 100 hours kiting a year is $30 an hour for kiting.

Buy three kites and ride them to death over 3 years. $6000/300 hours = $20 an hour.

Performance? Dunno. I think 2010-2011 represents a bit of a transition. Bow kites got good in 2008 and refined in 2009 and seemed to stabilise in 2010. Certainly my older kites work just fine.

Emotionally? New kites are nice. Riding well and having a good time on older kites is pretty nice. Blowing guys off the water with an old Frankenstein kite is priceless! :dance: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3:

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:56 am

wardr77 wrote:Been riding the same kites for a few years now, a 7, 13m Rev2 and a 10m 2010 Envy. They perform really well and I have no problems with them at all. My riding style is pretty basic, forward, back rolls, loops, transitions, boosts, freeride hooked in stuff mainly. The problem is that I'm finding myself constantly looking at new gear, love new kit as we all do, but can it be justified? If I sold my current kites I would probably get around £500. If I purchased new North Evos / Rebels for instance it would set me back £3000+. So the question is, is it really worth it? Would I feel that much of a difference in performance when compared with a freeride kite of 2009? I know the answer is probably to demo, but wondered whether anyone has any views before I go that route. Thanks
having flown the new rebels, I would say you would know the difference.

Light wind kiting hasn't changed for me as I have always had Flysurfers for light wind, its only now that some other brands are starting to catch up.

You would be surprised how much more refined kites are now.

But like Toby said, try before you buy.

Where in the country are you?

Tony

Metaphor_
Medium Poster

Postby Metaphor_ » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:57 am

OzBungy wrote:Buy three kites and ride them to death over 3 years. $6000/300 hours = $20 an hour.
You're only getting 100 hours per kite before your kite's toast?

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:24 pm

you can get more than that. 500hrs

150 sessions, 3 hrs each

if you do 50-70 kite sessions a year that is a lot of riding (for someone with a job) if each session is average 3 hrs, then .... 150 hrs per year on the kites. times 3 to 4 years .... about 500 hours. of course a person doesnt use the same kite every time they go (usually) so making a really broad stoke here .... cut the numbers in half for annual use, and basically double the years of good kiting on your quiver. 5-7yrs conservatively.

i feel like if a person isn't extreme on the gear that a kite can be expected to last this long. thats not really a bad "investment" in the end, considering there is no charge for pumping it up and riding it.

who knows. new gear day is still the best. ...... on that note: it is quiver turning time at my house. 2013 blade triggers 7 9 10 12 14, like new and ready to go. pm me

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:19 pm

You'd see the most difference replacing your 13m with a more modern 3/2/0 strut 13m that wont fall out of the sky in luls.

Return to “Kitesurfing”