All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Is it really worth it?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:18 pm 
Medium Poster

Been riding the same kites for a few years now, a 7, 13m Rev2 and a 10m 2010 Envy. They perform really well and I have no problems with them at all. My riding style is pretty basic, forward, back rolls, loops, transitions, boosts, freeride hooked in stuff mainly. The problem is that I'm finding myself constantly looking at new gear, love new kit as we all do, but can it be justified? If I sold my current kites I would probably get around £500. If I purchased new North Evos / Rebels for instance it would set me back £3000+. So the question is, is it really worth it? Would I feel that much of a difference in performance when compared with a freeride kite of 2009? I know the answer is probably to demo, but wondered whether anyone has any views before I go that route. Thanks

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Is it really worth it?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:24 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Just go to a demo event and try new stuff...then you will know if it is better for you or not!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:27 pm 
Rare Poster

I think it is safe to say kites have improved a lot comparing to 2009. But it is indeed a matter of taste. Best is to Demo. Always.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:32 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Keep trying new things, you'll find the limits, or break something eventually..
Until then, why spend?
Once your gear has depreciated 65%, might as well ride it until it is dead.
Or get a huge light wind kite if you need one?
Big kites are better than in the old days, zephyr was probably the first fun one i knew of, now there are many options..

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:36 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

No it's not worth it unless you are into lite wind kiting. The Dyno Turbine Fat Lady Zephyr, etc. are all sick sick kites and make life way better at 10 knots. Keep your old gear if you aren't into the lite wind stuff the regular kites aren't really any more advanced recently. It sounds like you take good care of your kites, my 2010 kites are tissue paper.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:51 pm 
Medium Poster

Good advice. No I'm not into light wind stuff. Obsessively look after my gear and only get around 50 or so sessions a year, so it lasts! Cheers.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:00 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

on the other hand, get a surfboard.
It may lead you to other things, although the rev and envy can do ok in waves....
But aside from light wind, the surf specific kites are also worth looking into if that becomes your interest.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:46 pm 
Frequent Poster

kites dont last forever, even if they are undamaged and performing fine, they are weakening over time and use.

there gets to be a point where you need to decide if it is still a good idea to use a kite to get yourself into a situation that could be really hard to get out of without it.

maybe your gear isnt at that point yet, but eventually it will be.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:53 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

4 years from your kites is a good stint. I replacement typically one per year. I get about 2 maybe 3 years from an lei tops. after that they are too worn and i no longer trust that they will not fail when kiting in extreme locations or weather.

If you tick one over every year or so then its not such a hard cash drain as replacing all at once.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:33 am 
Very Frequent Poster

bnthere wrote:
kites dont last forever, even if they are undamaged and performing fine, they are weakening over time and use.

there gets to be a point where you need to decide if it is still a good idea to use a kite to get yourself into a situation that could be really hard to get out of without it.

maybe your gear isnt at that point yet, but eventually it will be.

Some kites should only be used in shallow water/good weather/close to shore.

[ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next