Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Boots for Free Ride?

Postby edt » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:39 pm

boots:

pros, lets you land harder, feel more connected and get better pop

cons: if you catch an edge in boots you slam into the water and your brain rattles around, if you catch an edge in straps you can either twist your ankles so it wont slam or release the board, either way it dont hurt. And you will catch an edge.

I understand where you are coming from, hard to keep straps on the feet in boots, but getting slammed hurts, up to you.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: ¤°

Postby POACHER » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:45 pm

I can't speak for wakeboard boots, but if cold water is the issue I would really recommend the Excel Drylock 7mm booties. They are super warm. We ride with ice flows in the spring with water temps in the upper 30sF.

My Shinn Sneaker X footstraps work pretty decent with booties. I did think the Litewave laceups worked just as well, if not slightly better. You could really lock down your foot/bootie with the laces.

Cold water SUCKS!

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Tiago1973 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:57 pm

on top of what was already said i find it slightly more difficult to re launch a kite in boots as swimming is awkward, this may be a factor in icy water. the good thing is you won´t need to look for the board

and if your board is on the flexy side just putting a pair of bindings won´t work, the board will twist all over the place and there is not much pleasure on that. try it with a proper board from day 1

Wiski23
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Pt. Shred
Style: Wake
Gear: Mutiny c kites & slingshot board

Postby Wiski23 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:14 am

Interesting read, this is exactly what I'm contemplating at present. Coming from wakeboarding with boots to open straps now, I definetly feel vulnerable when edging & feel I can't ride with confidence as it feels like my front foot could slip out at anytime, especially in high winds. I'm guessing I gotta weight up the hurt factor vs edging & comfort factor.... Interesting.. Keep the feedback coming please.
I'm just learning to edge up wind at the mo but am doing wake grabs,boned out tail & stale fishes.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:22 am

Dont be freaked about the Wipouts. Under a kite is nothing like behind a boat. In truth its worth it alone for never having to drag back to a board.

Wiski23
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Pt. Shred
Style: Wake
Gear: Mutiny c kites & slingshot board

Postby Wiski23 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:11 am

Starsky wrote:Dont be freaked about the Wipouts. Under a kite is nothing like behind a boat. In truth its worth it alone for never having to drag back to a board.

Yeah I hate having to drag back to my board. Especially since its winter down under, that's the coldest part. I think im sold. I might go buy me some boots :thumb:

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:23 pm

Starsky wrote:Dont be freaked about the Wipouts. Under a kite is nothing like behind a boat. In truth its worth it alone for never having to drag back to a board.
Hell they don't even hurt as bad as cable. Seriously most people have the dumbest reasons for not riding boots.

Twitch
Medium Poster

Postby Twitch » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:35 pm

Get some velcro ones instead of laced up if getting in them quick is what you want. dont buy this year's model if you want to save some cash look for good deals on 2012's i'd say either liquid force or slingshot make great ones that are velcro.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:00 pm

Yeah I've been rocking the 2012 LF cradle boots for 2 years now, holding up great and the Velcro seems to be stronger than some other kinds I've tried. Really easy to get in and out of.

One of the pros about open toe Velcro boots is the sizing is pretty rangey, the medium cradles are 8-12 US, I am a 9.5 and they fit perfect. But they give you plenty of room if you add neoprene socks if you want to ride the same boots in winter. Most closed toe boots are only 1 size or a small range like 8-9, 10-11.

Not sure if open toe + neo socks would be warmer than just closed toe boots, but there's another option

wrogu
Frequent Poster

Postby wrogu » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:04 pm

Notice that if you buy CT boots and do not use neo socs ... it might end up badly in winter if you happen to swim back to shore in case of any accident.

Return to “Kitesurfing”