Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Reminder to those who have strong winds now..be extra safe

forum for kitesurfers


SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2978
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:47 pm
Kiting since: 99
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Reminder to those who have strong winds now..be extra safe

Postby SupaEZ » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:21 pm

Watch out for obstacles...example: like trees... downwind of you when you launch

Diagram at time 1:04 illustrate the path of the kite and kiteboarder who got hurt really really bad
Warning: painful to watch....................this happened 2 years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Am1y_m2g1Y

........surf: :sun: .no danger where i live...it is barely 10kn and riding a 19....heat index 95F..................


User avatar
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 33203
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2001 1:00 am
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.
Location: World (KF Admin)
Contact:

Re: Reminder to those who have strong winds now..be extra sa

Postby Toby » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:37 pm

1. too strong wind
2. onshore wind
3. never released before
4. distance is your friend

I expect more of this to happen, if instructions don't concentrate on dangers more and people don't think about what they are doing.

Solution: buy my DVD and don't watch the tricks, just the "How to" Section where I talk about SAFETY !!! www.airstyle.tv

And for those people who watched it already and don't do it like me, see above what could happen to you!

I can only advise, not force you to be more aware of the danger!

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 4418
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:25 pm
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: God created the naki so the hardcore people would have a place to live.
Favorite Beaches: Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...........
Style: Always searching for flow!
Gear: If you take 3.1415 from opinion. You get onion!
Brand Affiliation: What do yo call an Alligator in a vest? ............... An Investigator.

Re: Reminder to those who have strong winds now..be extra sa

Postby plummet » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:16 pm

We have seen this vid before. My memory is that its a newbie flying.

What experienced person on their right mind would launch right next to trees then hold the kite at the zenith while testing lift by pulling the bar in, in very windy conditions?

Then not release when a chance was given.

This is an inexperienced person flying in winds out of his depth most likely on a kite to big for the conditions.

User avatar
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 9295
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:36 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Oahu
Contact:

Re: Reminder to those who have strong winds now..be extra sa

Postby tautologies » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:17 am

..the worst / best part is that most of the time this goes well. We'd been out in super gusty wind on 6-8 meter kites...come in and a guy is asking questions about the spot. We talk with him, try to show the two small channels and how the wind turns off shore outside....then he brings out an 11 meter kite.

When I gently try tell him the kite was too big his answer was that it was his only kite and that he really would like to kite...That response always baffles me..instead of thinking either have to get another kite or maybe figure out something else...

My answer was really that he should consider a different spot. I know I might have sounded like a dick, but making these kinds of choices doesn't only put the kiter in danger he also endangered other beach users and fellow kiters. As far as I remember he did go out and he did have to release...and we did have to help him. Oh well.

User avatar
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 4584
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:49 am
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Reminder to those who have strong winds now..be extra sa

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:12 am

tautologies wrote:..the worst / best part is that most of the time this goes well. We'd been out in super gusty wind on 6-8 meter kites...come in and a guy is asking questions about the spot. We talk with him, try to show the two small channels and how the wind turns off shore outside....then he brings out an 11 meter kite.

When I gently try tell him the kite was too big his answer was that it was his only kite and that he really would like to kite...That response always baffles me..instead of thinking either have to get another kite or maybe figure out something else...

My answer was really that he should consider a different spot. I know I might have sounded like a dick, but making these kinds of choices doesn't only put the kiter in danger he also endangered other beach users and fellow kiters. As far as I remember he did go out and he did have to release...and we did have to help him. Oh well.

If that was me, I'd be pulling out a 16m kite ;) always makes me laugh when little tiny guys try and tell me what kite I should be using...

Seriously though, I always bow to local knowledge when I'm at a new spot. And if there's nobody around, I play it super-safe.

User avatar
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 9295
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:36 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Oahu
Contact:

Re: Reminder to those who have strong winds now..be extra sa

Postby tautologies » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:16 am

Kamikuza wrote:If that was me, I'd be pulling out a 16m kite ;) always makes me laugh when little tiny guys try and tell me what kite I should be using...

Seriously though, I always bow to local knowledge when I'm at a new spot. And if there's nobody around, I play it super-safe.


haha, but when you know I was considerably bigger than that guy. I would think 40lb.

User avatar
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 33203
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2001 1:00 am
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.
Location: World (KF Admin)
Contact:

Re: Reminder to those who have strong winds now..be extra sa

Postby Toby » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:49 am

tautologies wrote:I know I might have sounded like a dick, but making these kinds of choices doesn't only put the kiter in danger he also endangered other beach users and fellow kiters


no, you don't. You sound like a guy with responsibility for other people's lives, including his.
Well done, and keep doing so!

User avatar
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 4584
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:49 am
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Reminder to those who have strong winds now..be extra sa

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:58 am

tautologies wrote:
Kamikuza wrote:If that was me, I'd be pulling out a 16m kite ;) always makes me laugh when little tiny guys try and tell me what kite I should be using...

Seriously though, I always bow to local knowledge when I'm at a new spot. And if there's nobody around, I play it super-safe.


haha, but when you know I was considerably bigger than that guy. I would think 40lb.

I'd sell one of my left nuts to be 40lbs!

We got a kid and his dad who comes down from Osaka occasionally, and he goes out on the smallest kites... I'm so jealous :)

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:28 pm

Re: Reminder to those who have strong winds now..be extra sa

Postby JGTR » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:50 pm

I expect more of this to happen, if instructions don't concentrate on dangers more and people don't think about what they are doing.


Hey now don't blame the instructors!! I'm pretty sure all instructors teach the safety side, if people choose to ignore the training then that's hardly the instructors fault.

The amount of people that do not do what they were taught on their course is huge. Any half hearted site/risk assessment would have thrown up all kinds of issues with that location and wind conditions. If had done his pre flight checks then he would have known how to use his safety or at least been more aware of it.

User avatar
fokiten
Frequent Poster
Posts: 262
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:27 pm
Kiting since: 2001
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: The New Old West

Re: Reminder to those who have strong winds now..be extra sa

Postby fokiten » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:35 pm

there's an irony here in that off shore winds are every bit a danger as the preferred on shore winds that see you in the trees pre fuck up...

the very best winds, most steady winds, are always on shore to side on shore: the product of fetch....

bottom line:

proud to be, anti hype, anti promo, anti sand swami , anti stoke...

that's the only truly compassionate way to approach this somewhat lethal , easy enough on a good day--- so called sport....

you're just going to put them at risk--- I say let them read books...

fuck a bunch of hopped up half wits putting the innocents on kites....

as well this star crossed vid so plainly proves....

be a pal to those who ask, 'can I try it' say no we still got a few bugs in the ointment
fokiten

@ the sand swami---don't be just another, spare your brother and get yourself a real job..


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: airsail, danidr, iriejohn, omg and 21 guests