El Médano, Tenerife
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kitech 6m2, 9m2, 15m2 foil kites
Flysurfer radical4
DIY skims
Brand Affiliation: None

Mystic clickerbar 3.0 failed

Postby Rufusz » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:37 pm

This afternoon I had a session in 40-45 kmh wind and after about 90 mind riding, the clickerbar on my Warrior 3 harness opened during a jump! :o
I noticed that something weird is going on, looked down and scared sh!tless... the strap securing the bottom part of the bar was the only thing holding my kite.
Luckily I was relatively close to shore and the water was shallow so I managed to land the kite safely on the beach.

The lock pin is twisted and its not possible to put it the lock mechanism. Has anyone experienced similar spontaneous releases on mystic harnesses? Thanks god the securing strap was able to hold my weight.

The pin won't go all the way inside the lock mechanism as shown here.
IMG_20130625_194625.jpg

The twisted pin
IMG_20130625_194640.jpg

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Mystic clickerbar 3.0 failed

Postby Toby » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:47 pm

Thx for the info.

Did you send an email to Mystic? If not, you should do so they are aware of the problem.

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:44 pm

dang i've never seen that before!

nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: wave,big air,megaloops
Gear: Epic kites,g-force boards,cohete surfboards

Postby nikalaitzian » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:08 pm

HOLY SHIT!!!cant imagine this to happen to the new harnesses(i wear the new majestic 2013) cause they got no holding belt
Last edited by nikalaitzian on Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ben newman
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby ben newman » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:48 am

This is the first time i have ever heard of this.
Been riding mystic for a while now, most of my bodies are riding Mystic as well, and never happened to anyone around here.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish torch 12m,9m,epic renegade 6m,9m,screamer 12m. ug styx, skillet

Postby pj sofine » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:16 pm

For me at 220 lbs thats just normal for me,everything I use breaks,boards,bars,spreaders,harnesses and the list goes on and on. :cry: Are you doing hooked in kite loops?I've found in the higher winds lots of stress on equipment. Especially backroll loops.lots of stress from weird angles.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:25 pm

pj sofine wrote:For me at 220 lbs thats just normal for me,everything I use breaks,boards,bars,spreaders,harnesses and the list goes on and on. :cry: Are you doing hooked in kite loops?I've found in the higher winds lots of stress on equipment. Especially backroll loops.lots of stress from weird angles.

I am 230 and don't accept stuff breaking.

My lines are over engineered, my harness should be over engineered.

I have had the same issue with my 3.0 clicker, it came undone twice. Mystic sent me another one which is fine.

Looks like a dodgy batch.

Not good, but they did react and replace.

Tony

Rufusz
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Lake Balaton, Hungary
Favorite Beaches: Hurghada, Egypt
Viganj, Croatia
El Médano, Tenerife
Flysurfer radical4
DIY skims

Postby Rufusz » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:22 pm

pj sofine wrote:For me at 220 lbs thats just normal for me,everything I use breaks,boards,bars,spreaders,harnesses and the list goes on and on. :cry: Are you doing hooked in kite loops?I've found in the higher winds lots of stress on equipment. Especially backroll loops.lots of stress from weird angles.

I was not doing kiteloops just regural jumps, rotations, etc. My weight is 80kg but IMHO all this is irrevelant, since this should not happen at any circumstances even a heavier rider doing kiteloops.

Apart from this issue I am really happy with the harness so far and sometimes even the most reliable equipment fails, I was just curious if its a known issue.

The worst part of all is that I will be off for a kite holiday this Saturday and its pretty unlikely that my problem will be solved by then. I sent an email Yesterday afternoon to the retailer (bought the harness online from Germany) explaining all the details but they haven't replied yet.

Luckily I will be able to borrow a harness for my holiday, but its a mystic aviator seat... :cry:

I will contact Mystic as well but will wait for the retailer's reply first.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Any gear is good gear as long as it has nothing to do with EPIC!

Postby alexeyga » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:48 pm

First of all - it looks like it haven't quite "clicked" when you closed the buckle, hence it was slowly working its way out until reaching the recessed part which got bent and at which point it fully released.

Second - unless it's cracked, there's really no reason why you can't simply hammer it back straight and use until they'll send you a new one. This is a fairly soft steel, so no worries. Just make sure it "clicks" when you close it. The recessed part isn't subjected to any heavy loads anyways, it's the long, straight neck that does all the work.

Cheers!

Rufusz
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Lake Balaton, Hungary
Favorite Beaches: Hurghada, Egypt
Viganj, Croatia
El Médano, Tenerife
Flysurfer radical4
DIY skims

Postby Rufusz » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:44 pm

alexeyga wrote:First of all - it looks like it haven't quite "clicked" when you closed the buckle, hence it was slowly working its way out until reaching the recessed part which got bent and at which point it fully released.

Second - unless it's cracked, there's really no reason why you can't simply hammer it back straight and use until they'll send you a new one. This is a fairly soft steel, so no worries. Just make sure it "clicks" when you close it. The recessed part isn't subjected to any heavy loads anyways, it's the long, straight neck that does all the work.

Cheers!

It clicked and I always double check if the mechanism is closed. I was riding more than an hour before it unclipped so I guess that it was no "user error".

I'm not sure about "hammering it back" as multiple bends could weaken the material so next time it could break. Maybie its OK to do it but I don't want the same scenario happening again.

The main problem is not the bended pin (as it was OK before it unclipped), but probably the locking mechanism which let the pin to unclip under heavy load. So no matter if I hammer the pin back if the mechanism will let the clip go again.

Return to “Kitesurfing”