Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Re: Highest Aspect 3-Strut Kite?

Postby Da Yoda » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:41 pm

SupaEZ wrote:Look into one company with their new 2013 crossride model kite
The whole set-up looks great...kite...short bridles..flying lines...sensor bar ....etc...etc...
Core XR3

http://corekites.com/us/riot-xr3
I tried the Riot 2 and it was not to my liking. I think the GTS would be more my style, but where I live there is no local support or dealers for Core.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:41 pm

He man I get where you are coming from. Funny how people mention the bandit, park and catalyst as examples for what you might want as possible example of kites that have mid to high aspect. As an edge rider I find that amusing. I suppose it is all relative.

There may seem some contradiction in you are looking for an all round kite that has high aspect. Not sure that exists and if it did I would be one stoked mofo!!

The very best fair dinkum high aspect kite I have ever flown that rocks in the waves in the liquid force NRG. It is a true high aspect kite as opposed to some of the suggestions mentioned ( I ride a zephyr and the new catalyst to, so I have different aspect kites to consider) and yet its drift in the waves just left me scratching my head and my buddy who tried it (both of us 13 yrs into this sport).

But...not the best for looping, like an edge gotta get it right or you get spanked.
PERSONALLY I wish ozone would make smaller sized zephyrs, that seems for me the ideal aspect...for me anyhow. Love that zephyr!!

Also not the quickest turner so your hooked in freestyle moves can be limited. Also not the best to unhook unless you are an above average rider which we are not!

But it boosts very easily, lofty hang time, drifts like a demon and has some static grunt built in, which something like the edge lacks being soooo high aspect.

Give us all a picture of your normal session, board choice, way conditions and how you ride. Might help narrow down a suggestion for you. :D

Personally I wish ozone would make smaller sized 2013 zephyrs, the perfect aspect for me so far given its wing profile and camber shape. Love that new zephyr!!! Said this twice because I am hoping the universe is listening. :)

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone
Been thanked: 0

Postby bnthere » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:01 pm

2013 Blade Trigger (Gen 5)

med high aspect, freeride/big air 3 strut kite. 7 9 10 boost and soar, a lot. (and still cut a fairly tight, smooth pulling turn)

not the gen 4 trigger, which is different (and extremely good) mid low AR high maneuverability wave/all around.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Da Yoda » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:27 pm

coleman wrote:you seem to have tried enough kites to be able to make up your mind. most people on here haven't flown as many kites as you have.

maybe you are more of an authority on this than you think.....
I had mentioned that there's over 30 kite brands available in the US, but only about half of them are available here in Nor CA. I will admit that I'm lucky to live where I do and have the option to try so many brands.
You might be right... I just might be "more of an authority" on this topic than I'm willing to accept. ;-)

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Da Yoda » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:33 pm

bnthere wrote:2013 Blade Trigger (Gen 5)

med high aspect, freeride/big air 3 strut kite. 7 9 10 boost and soar, a lot. (and still cut a fairly tight, smooth pulling turn)

not the gen 4 trigger, which is different (and extremely good) mid low AR high maneuverability wave/all around.
I've flown the 2012 version and I liked it. I'd be curious to see how the 5th gen flies.
Unfortunately I have the same challenge that I have with Core Kites... there's no local support or dealers for Blade in Nor CA.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:55 pm

Da Yoda wrote:
bnthere wrote:2013 Blade Trigger (Gen 5)

I've flown the 2012 version and I liked it. I'd be curious to see how the 5th gen flies.
Unfortunately I have the same challenge that I have with Core Kites... there's no local support or dealers for Blade in Nor CA.
Call KitePaddleSurf in Bellingham Washington.
Andy Holmes will take care of you with Blade kites.
Great dealer, great guy.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Da Yoda » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:08 pm

Westozzy wrote:He man I get where you are coming from. Funny how people mention the bandit, park and catalyst as examples for what you might want as possible example of kites that have mid to high aspect. As an edge rider I find that amusing. I suppose it is all relative.
I think the responses are on par... I wanted to know what the "highest" aspect kite is in the 3-strut category. The answers so far seem to be spot on, but I agree, if comparing to an Edge, all the mentioned kites are very low aspect in that regard. ;-)
Westozzy wrote:Give us all a picture of your normal session, board choice, way conditions and how you ride. Might help narrow down a suggestion for you.
I kite mainly at Sherman Isle (similar to the Gorge), some local lakes, and the coast. My kiting consists of about 60% strapless riding (surf, wakeskate, skim) and about 40% twintip riding. My twin is a 132x41. My surfboard is a 5'8x18.5". My wakeskate is kind of small at 108x38, but I make it work. I'm looking at getting a new skimboard this season around the 135+x50ish range.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:10 am

Yeh sounds like the bandit or the trigger to me yoda, given your mixed riding style. And the fact that you are strapless a fair bit.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Da Yoda » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:50 pm

I want to thank everyone that took the time to respond. I also wanted to inform you all that I had another requirement that further eliminates a lot of the 3 and 5 strut kites off my list. I've decided to go with a 6,8,11m quiver. This sizing decision has reduced my options to the following kites...
Cabrinha Switchblade
Core GTS
F-One Bandit
Naish Park
North Evo

I can remove Core from the list because they have no local dealers or support.
I won't fly or buy Cabrinha.
So with what's left standing, the Bandit seems to be the best fit based on the responses I received. Any thoughts on the Park or Evo vs. the Bandit? I've only flown the new Bandit. I've not flown the new Park or Evo as of yet. ;-)

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:05 pm

Da Yoda wrote:I want to thank everyone that took the time to respond. I also wanted to inform you all that I had another requirement that further eliminates a lot of the 3 and 5 strut kites off my list. I've decided to go with a 6,8,11m quiver. This sizing decision has reduced my options to the following kites...
Cabrinha Switchblade
Core GTS
F-One Bandit
Naish Park
North Evo

I can remove Core from the list because they have no local dealers or support.
I won't fly or buy Cabrinha.
So with what's left standing, the Bandit seems to be the best fit based on the responses I received. Any thoughts on the Park or Evo vs. the Bandit? I've only flown the new Bandit. I've not flown the new Park or Evo as of yet. ;-)
Well, considering my experience was on the old Bandit which was a delta it is not really of much use. Both the Bandit and Evo has traditionally been very very grunty, but I think they lightened up that a bit....which is useful. I think perhaps more the bandit than the Evo, that still seems pretty low AR.
At the same time Park used to be lighter, but added grunt, but I do not think they did that by lowering the AR, I think they did that by increasing the center of effort slightly and shortening the bridle.
I think all good kites, but some differences that might be very important. Do you have a chance to test the two last ones? Also can you remember exactly how these differences are when you test new kites? I think I would end up almost confused..unless I kind of the a didregard type test...have 1 or 2 favorites and then compare..

I have a rule of thumb..never test kites in shitty wind, and never take a new kite out in really shitty wind. First impressions are pretty important. :-) Than again I ride in really shitty wind so the kites should be able to handle it...

Return to “Kitesurfing”