*


All times are UTC + 1 hour



Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Highest Aspect 3-Strut Kite?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:51 pm 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:20 pm
Posts: 183
Location: Western USA
I'm in the market for some new kites this season and there's over 30 brands available here in the US to choose from. What I've noticed upon my research is a major trend in 3-strut kites from just about every manufacturer.

My problem is that almost all of the 3-strut kites that I've found, fall into one of two categories... either they're "wave specific" for kite surfing applications or they're an "all in one" kite focused more towards beginer-intermediate kiters and schools.

What I've found is most of these kite styles (wave & all in one) are built with low AR ratios. I know this is intrinsic to the design of these kites and their given applications, but there has to be some company out there offering a mid-high aspect, 3-strut, high performance oriented "all in one" kite. My kite criteria is freestyle, freeride, & some wave applications. Can someone help steer me in the right direction? ;-)


{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Highest Aspect 3-Strut Kite?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:19 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:36 am
Posts: 8405
Location: Oahu
The draft 14 and 17 is high aspect 3 struts but I'm not sure if I agree with your proposition. Park is not a low aspect kite and definitely does it all well...

I'm not sure what a beginner kite even is...since many of the qualities we all are looking for is what would make it good for beginners too.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Highest Aspect 3-Strut Kite?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:28 pm 
Offline
Rare Poster

Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:26 pm
Posts: 41
Honestly, I would concentrate in what I want (all-in-one high AR kite) rather then the number of struts in it.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Highest Aspect 3-Strut Kite?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:30 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:49 am
Posts: 604
Too easy.

Ozone Catalyst.
Ozone has their dedicated wave kite low aspect called the REO 3 strut
Ozone has their dedicated freestyle kite called the C4 5 strut
Ozone has their high aspect race kite called the Edge 5 strut
Ozone has the perfect kite for you called the Catalyst 3 strut between the Reo and C4 with mid aspect ratio. Fantastic kite.
If you want a kite that does everything well it will be the Catalyst. Can't race on it but doesn't sound like that is what you are looking for.

Not sure who you are but we probably know each other I'm also in Nor Cal.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Highest Aspect 3-Strut Kite?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:53 pm 
Offline
Medium Poster
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:26 pm
Posts: 192
Location: South Africa
I would recommend the Fone bandit for that catergory. Maybe Zeeko Notus as well. I am looking for the same type of kite, but my criteria is absolute best lightweight kite for its size, good performance, but still fast handling. I am using a blade vertigo which is probably slightly lower aspect than the two mentioned (I think) but it is light, fast turning, and made to sit closer to the edge of the window which is normally what a higher aspect kite gives you (better L/D).


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Highest Aspect 3-Strut Kite?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:53 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:17 am
Posts: 2003
Location: Save a life...adopt a Pitbull
What you are asking for is not really a compatible design criteria, as you stated.
No kite that I know of, is three struts and high aspect, it makes for a structurally soft kite.
There is a reason that high performance higher aspect kites have more than three struts
And what is the reason that the amount of struts is critical to you?
You are asking for an all around kite, ...but don't want an all around kite?
There are lots of all around kites (that you may be calling beginner specific) that are great into intermediate and beyond.

To name a few kites that will do what you ask in three strut layout:

F-One Bandit 6 (seems to be the highest aspect three strut kite)
Ozone Catalyst
Slingshot RPM
Slingshot Rally
Blade Trigger
Epic Renegade
Switch Element 2
Naish Park

And some others that will do the job well with more struts:

Epic Screamer
Airush Varial X
Ozone Edge
Ozone C4
RRD Obsession
Nobile 50Fifty
Blade Prime
Ocean Rodeo Razor (4 strut)
Best TS
North Vegas
North Rebel
North Evo
Core GTS 2
Core Riot XR3

Strut count should not be the criteria for choosing a kite.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Highest Aspect 3-Strut Kite?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:31 pm 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:20 pm
Posts: 183
Location: Western USA
MarcThompson wrote:
Honestly, I would concentrate in what I want (all-in-one high AR kite) rather then the number of struts in it.
I should have been a little more clear about my inquiry. I've been mainly looking at 5-strut kites that fall into my criteria perfectly (i.e. Evo, Varial X, Switchblade, etc...), but I'm finding that I'm very limited with options vs. what's seems to be available if I open up my options to 3-strut kites.

ChristoffM wrote:
I would recommend the Fone bandit for that catergory. Maybe Zeeko Notus as well. I am looking for the same type of kite, but my criteria is absolute best lightweight kite for its size, good performance, but still fast handling. I am using a blade vertigo which is probably slightly lower aspect than the two mentioned (I think) but it is light, fast turning, and made to sit closer to the edge of the window which is normally what a higher aspect kite gives you (better L/D).
I recently flew the Bandit 6 and I really liked it. As far as I know, Zeeko is not available in the US.
So far I've tried the following "all in one" 3-strut kites...
SS Rally (2012)
LF Envy
Blade Trigger
WH Rabbit Gang
F-One Bandit

Here's what I've tried with 5 struts...
Best TS
Core Riot
Cab. Switchblade
Ozone C4


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Highest Aspect 3-Strut Kite?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:48 pm 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:20 pm
Posts: 183
Location: Western USA
Oldnbroken wrote:
What you are asking for is not really a compatible design criteria, as you stated.
No kite that I know of, is three struts and high aspect, it makes for a structurally soft kite.
There is a reason that high performance higher aspect kites have more than three struts
And what is the reason that the amount of struts is critical to you?
You are asking for an all around kite, ...but don't want an all around kite?
There are lots of all around kites (that you may be calling beginner specific) that are great into intermediate and beyond.

Strut count should not be the criteria for choosing a kite.

Just to be clear, my criteria is not for a 3 strut kite. I'm looking for a performance oriented kite that it's strengths are focused around FS,FR, and some Wave. Many companies categorize this type of kite as an "all around" kite, so I would say I'm looking for an all around kite. ;-)

I do have to agree with you. I was under the same understanding that the higher the AR, the more likely a kite will need 5 struts to add stability to the kite's structure. However I'm seeing a few brands that seem to have taken the 3 strut concept and are marketing it towards advanced to expert level riders looking for more performance, which seems to contradict what most other brands are doing in this category. Here's a good example of this...
http://www.griffinkites.com.au/products/trx2013


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Highest Aspect 3-Strut Kite?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:43 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:54 pm
Posts: 508
Location: texas
you seem to have tried enough kites to be able to make up your mind. most people on here haven't flown as many kites as you have.

maybe you are more of an authority on this than you think.....


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Highest Aspect 3-Strut Kite?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:27 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:47 pm
Posts: 2336
Da Yoda wrote:
Just to be clear, my criteria is not for a 3 strut kite. I'm looking for a performance oriented kite that it's strengths are focused around FS,FR, and some Wave. Many companies categorize this type of kite as an "all around" kite, so I would say I'm looking for an all around kite. ;-)



Look into one company with their new 2013 crossride model kite
The whole set-up looks great...kite...short bridles..flying lines...sensor bar ....etc...etc...
Core XR3

http://corekites.com/us/riot-xr3

:pump: :surf: :sun:


Top
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group