All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: What is the real purpose of having a trimmer on a kite b
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:34 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

SupaEZ wrote:
All right i will bite :wink:
Purpose is to shorten the front lines
Why not ditch that system and invent a clever way to lengthen the back lines simultaneously

Any inventors out there ? :thumb:

Why when shortening the front lines does exactly the same job without all the engineering head aches :?:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:41 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

The rep is right and all so wrong. It is there to trim the kite so you do adjust he is wrong on this. It is not there to depower the kite. If your over powered go get a smaller kite so he is right there.

I use the adjustments at kite for changes in my lines due to stretching. Next I use my trim strap to actually trim the kite to where I want my bar to ride. I use a combination of my board and bar throw to handle gusts and all the variations in the wind. Once my trim strap is locked it is vary rarely changed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:46 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

A depower adjuster can serve the purpose of giving more top end when needed.... but best used temporarily.
It is not there to encourage kiters to ride around with a kite that is way out of tune, and I know a couple local guys who do it all the time, fully depowered all day long.
Depower adjusters can definately be used to even up your lines, if you had to put a knot or loop leader on to match a bar and kite brand that are not the same kook proof arrangement, (if your steering leaders don't have multiple knots).
I like to have my lines even and correct, and will generally not use a depower adjuster for that though, I make sure I have leader knots for fronts and backs both.
I pull depower about once in ten kite sessions, ....maybe less.
Bar throw normally provides me with plenty of depower with modern bridled kites, and our local spots are very cyclical gusty lake winds.
Maybe my board edging skills are still there from the days of short throw C kites, I would never pull depower to go upwind in a gust, I use the board for that
I have never made adjustments all day long.
If wind really builds while I'm out and I'm way overpowered, I can pull a little depower and go change kites, (which I almost never need to do) or to allow me to keep kiting for a couple more hours if I am not super lit with the strap pulled.
Pick the right kite and I'm good to go, I can kite with any old bar system though, half my bars are mix and match cobbled together, and it is just never a problem.
I do pull depower before tether launching.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:47 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

TheJoe wrote:
The rep is right and all so wrong. It is there to trim the kite so you do adjust he is wrong on this. It is not there to depower the kite. If your over powered go get a smaller kite so he is right there.

I use the adjustments at kite for changes in my lines due to stretching. Next I use my trim strap to actually trim the kite to where I want my bar to ride. I use a combination of my board and bar throw to handle gusts and all the variations in the wind. Once my trim strap is locked it is vary rarely changed.

Great reply!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:50 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Oldnbroken wrote:

Tethering technique is natural for you :wink:
http://www.workingpitbull.com/tethering.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:37 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

SupaEZ wrote:
Oldnbroken wrote:

Tethering technique is natural for you :wink:
http://www.workingpitbull.com/tethering.html
Dog tethering is a very complicated subject.
If you would like to discuss it, feel free to PM me, I promise I don't bite. :no1:
As far as tether launching, it is a very good option for us here, we do not have your Cocoa Beach soft white sand on our local launches.
Your favorite self launch method does not work here at all, tears kites to bits.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:01 pm 
Frequent Poster

JGTR wrote:
I agree with the mystery kite company - kites fly best with lines a set length, using the strap is a compromise of performance over wind range. Its not there to be constantly fiddled with, a correctly set up kite should not need the strap touching, all the trimming should be achievable using the normal bar throw and moving your arms hence kites all now have long bar throws. I

Doesn't pulling the bar in and out also effect relative line length? For me adjusting the power strap is about riding in a comfortable position and having the amount of power i want without having to sheet out too much on the bar nothing more. The suggestion the original poster is over using his depower by the company is just an excuse for cheap components IMO.

Last edited by UKSurf on Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:21 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Quote:
a comfortable position and having the amount of power i want without having to sheet out too much on the bar nothing more. Th

Which a correctly trimmed kite should do when flown in the right wind, I rarely touch my trim strap my kites don't need to adjust trim only if over powered, if I'm flying my kite depowered then its too big.

But I see both sides manufacturer says trim strap is just that and riders say they use it to get better top end by depowering kite (when manufacturer recommends changing kite size)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:34 pm 
Frequent Poster

UKSurf wrote:
JGTR wrote:
I agree with the mystery kite company - kites fly best with lines a set length, using the strap is a compromise of performance over wind range. Its not there to be constantly fiddled with, a correctly set up kite should not need the strap touching, all the trimming should be achievable using the normal bar throw and moving your arms hence kites all now have long bar throws. I

Doesn't pulling the bar in and out also effect relative line length? For me adjusting the power strap is about riding in a comfortable position and having the amount of power i want without having to sheet out too much on the bar nothing more. The suggestion the the original poster is over using his depower by the company is just an excuse for cheap components IMO.

Yes, pulling the depower line and shortening the center lines has the same effect as pushing the bar out. If I switched kites every time I had to use the depower line I would waste half my session. North Rebels handle and steer very well in the entire range of bar throw/depower setting. I can't say the same about the brand I used to fly, if you used too much depower the steering lines were so slack turning was very limited.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:39 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

JGTR wrote:
Quote:
a comfortable position and having the amount of power i want without having to sheet out too much on the bar nothing more. Th

Which a correctly trimmed kite should do when flown in the right wind, I rarely touch my trim strap my kites don't need to adjust trim only if over powered, if I'm flying my kite depowered then its too big.

But I see both sides manufacturer says trim strap is just that and riders say they use it to get better top end by depowering kite (when manufacturer recommends changing kite size)

I think there's 2 schools of thought out there. Dudes who think a kite is overpowered once they must trim to reduce power (i'm one of them) and dudes that think they are only overpowered when they are fully trimmed and can no longer hold an edge.

Dudes in the later group are the dangerous people that get themselves injured/killed.

[ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next