2010 Cab Convert Heavy Bar Pressure

Forum for kitesurfers
NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

2010 Cab Convert Heavy Bar Pressure

Postby NYKiter » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:54 pm

Purchased a 15m 2010 Cab Convert from buddy of mine.
Thing flies great, turns fast, very very stable.
I found the bar pressure to be really high though.
This kite does not allow for moving the downlines forward or back on the wing for bar pressure.
I have several REVs that I have been able to lighten up but this Cab wont.

Over time I ended up doing the following:
Switched to a 58cm tuned bar
Undid all the knots except the lowest ones on the flying lines at the wings.
Lowered the nose by moving the center line knots down.

The thing barely flies but STILL has high bar pressure.
Please spare me the sweet spot and throw mechanics, I get how it all works.
I could begin to add pig tails to the steering lines and begin pulling the nose in at the bar centers but its getting ridiculous as the kite is starting to fly poorly.
Been going back to my 16m havoc instead, which has no bar pressure - even when stuck out in 25knot gusts...
Any ideas appreciated.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A
Has thanked: 0

Re: 2010 Cab Convert Heavy Bar Pressure

Postby dyyylan » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:09 pm

Unfortunately cabrinha kites, especially old ones just have really high bar pressure. This year they lightened up a bit and supposedly the 2014s will have a bit less still.

They do have good resale value, so if you really aren't liking it it should be pretty easy to turn around and get something you like better.

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2010 Cab Convert Heavy Bar Pressure

Postby bnthere » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:00 pm

good tries, but that kind of steering resistance and bar pressure is not something you can change by adjusting your line length.

downlines: this is an interesting term, i know what you mean, but i can't think of their real name, if they have one. they are the flying line attachment points coming off the kite (in this case for your outside lines) i generally refer to them as that, or as a leader line coming off the flying line attachment point on the kite. not sure they have an actual name.

you had the right idea looking to adjust the bridle as well as the outside line attachment points at the wingtip of the kite. but like you said the convert doesnt do that.

you have 2 bridle setup options on the convert. (hence the name convert-able). neither offers much lighter bar pressure. but you can mess with it. that is just how that kite feels, (they must have figured that anybody that can pump that much air into a kite before their session and still ride is actually looking for a workout and would appreciate the heavy feel)

Return to “Kitesurfing”