Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Flysurfer cronix

Postby Westozzy » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:13 am

Cool. Get ya buddy on the chronix and film it again ..lol

Only joking man I appreciate the footage was good to see it work thought the air in some decent winds. Christ that was a narrow little bay. Forget how spoilt we are with our kms of long beaches here.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:50 am

I wonder about the solo launch thingy. Looks like the kite bounces round on its canopy. That could provide more wear than a standard launch on a gritty shell ridden beach.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:33 am

Yep I noticed that as well. More than if you tether?

vindsportknut
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby vindsportknut » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:49 pm

On a beach with sharp shells I think I wouldn't put down a kite at all, without a protecting mat or something. And I was out today again, and with a little experience the kite lies much more steady in position. The video showed the first attempt, direct out of the bag.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:17 pm

Watched ya vid again. Smooth through the air and fast turning in the loops it seems.

The Captain
Frequent Poster

Postby The Captain » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:12 pm

Just an FYI on the pricing issue...

http://www.kite-line.com/ has the US prices up. Same as a 2014 Slingshot Rally or Cab Switchblade. Not cheap, but certainly not more than other premium brands.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:24 pm

plummet wrote:I wonder about the solo launch thingy. Looks like the kite bounces round on its canopy. That could provide more wear than a standard launch on a gritty shell ridden beach.
I thought the same thing too but I noticed in one of the clips, that the pin seems to be sheathed so that won't happen at all.

vindsportknut
Medium Poster

Postby vindsportknut » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:47 pm

Together with the «First impression» video I can supply with some impressions in words. I had my second session with the Cronix 10 today:

Pumping
The Cronix is extremely lightpumped. A good pump and a high diameter on the walve gives the lowest pump effort I have ever had. It’s easier to pump the Cronix than a Switchblade. There is no locking mechanism, only some soft rubber or plastic material around a slight conic mouthpiece that fits into the walve. This might be a problem in strong cold, but it might as well function even under such conditions.

Self-launch
Cronix comes with lines connected, just as all other Flysurfer kites. This is not normal for pump-kites. In combination with the self-launcher this gives meaning. Someone has thought some thoughts about this issue at Flysurfer. Instead of turning your kite upside down when you have finished the pumping, you simply connect it to the already filled sack (you have to fill it yourself first of course) of the self-launcher. With the lines connected you simply now walk out the lines and launch the kite. Shortest rigging time ever. If you see trouble with the lines when you start the launching, you interrupt and fix it. Safe and simple. I’m stoked.

In standard mode
Like many other kites, Cronix can change mode through moving front and rear line points on the wingtip. So far I’ve only flown the Cronix in standard mode/out of the bag mode. I believe there is a reason for putting a kite in “standard mode” from the manufacturer so therefore. The kite flies excellent. It’s a freerider made for playing. Fast turns, responsive, controllable but it prefers a trained pilot. It does exactly what you tell it to do, and it does it fast. My last kite-experience was with a Cabrinha Vector 13, and this is a kind of opposite. Everything is tight and turning, not that every-condition-power-control-in-the-bar-thing. I felt like a child in the playground.

Adaptive airfoil
This is a feature which is difficult to be exact about, because human experience is close connected with our prejudice. Keeping this in mind I find that the Chronix gives extra power, more than normal, when pulling the bar all the way in. The extra force is delivered without stalling the kite, and this is very special. I believe that my experience is true, the adaptive airfoil is a real innovation.

Other details
Cronix makes an impression of being thought thorough all details. E.g. on the wingtips there is a sheltering semi-hard plastic foil, covering the points where the flying lines are connected with the kite. This, I believe, has two benefits. On one hand the wingtips is critical due to aerodynamics, on the other hand this a point of wear and tear. Where lines run through rings these are wide, knots are small and tight and avoided through sewed loops where possible.

Conclusion
Cronix in standard mode is a high end freerider with a light bar pressure and a direct and fast reaction to steering input. It feels well to ride and it’s got the fastest rigging time for any pumpkite yet.

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.

Postby DrLightWind » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:22 pm

Nice review :thumb:
But what is the bar pressure compared to other similar sizes :?:

DrLW

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:26 pm

Looking forward to Flying my 12. It should have a lot of juice as the projected area is the same as a North Rebel 14.

Return to “Kitesurfing”