Certeza
Rare Poster
Style: Wakestyle Freestyle
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Board recommendations

Postby Certeza » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:44 pm

Hey guys, I need help. Realizing that I'm still too beginner to do the wakestyle riding that I want to get to. Really would like to progress to aggressive booted wakestyle riding in the future. Given my wakeboarding background, it just feels better to me.

In the mean time, feels like I'm just making things hard on myself trying to use a wakestyle board. We don't get the consistent winds here that coastal areas get. I'll typically be out in 8-14 knots, and a bit gusty. I think the higher rocker boards might be sucking too much power for a big guy like me.

I'm 6'0" 200lbs, and do mostly flat water riding.

Looking for board recommendations that will be gentle on me while I'm progressing from beginner to intermediate, but will allow me to ride it for at least two seasons without feeling like it's holding me back. Something that gets up and planes quick, goes upwind pretty well, and still allows me to try some tricks. Thanks

elliott george
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Newgale
Favorite Beaches: Newgale
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Takoon lux 133x40
hadlow pro 13
Blade prime 9
Hyperlite remix

Re: Board recommendations

Postby elliott george » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:34 am

A board I can really recommend is the takoon lux. It's really easy to use board yet still has a lot of freestyle/wake orientation. This means that it will allow you to progress on to freestyle without feeling you need another board.

If you look around most manufacturers make a progressive board. Another board I can recommend is the slingshot misfit. The only real way to find aboard is to go out and demo them. That can be really hard if you have no shops around you.

What are you riding ATM??

eldadgold
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eldadgold » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:10 pm

Give the Xenon Infra a try.
after you progress you can add the boots to it.
It is still forgiving on flat water so even as a beginner you will have no problems with it.

Certeza
Rare Poster

Postby Certeza » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:44 pm

elliott george wrote:A board I can really recommend is the takoon lux. It's really easy to use board yet still has a lot of freestyle/wake orientation. This means that it will allow you to progress on to freestyle without feeling you need another board.

If you look around most manufacturers make a progressive board. Another board I can recommend is the slingshot misfit. The only real way to find aboard is to go out and demo them. That can be really hard if you have no shops around you.

Im in northern utah. The closest shops are about 100 miles away.

elliott george
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Newgale
Favorite Beaches: Newgale
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Takoon lux 133x40
hadlow pro 13
Blade prime 9
Hyperlite remix

Postby elliott george » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:58 am

Certeza wrote:
elliott george wrote:A board I can really recommend is the takoon lux. It's really easy to use board yet still has a lot of freestyle/wake orientation. This means that it will allow you to progress on to freestyle without feeling you need another board.

I know how you feel, what are you riding now

Certeza
Rare Poster

Postby Certeza » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:29 pm

elliott george wrote:
Certeza wrote:
I know how you feel, what are you riding now
North Gambler.

Certeza
Rare Poster

Postby Certeza » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:27 pm

eldadgold wrote:Give the Xenon Infra a try.
It is still forgiving on flat water so even as a beginner you will have no problems with it.
I don't know that this was the best route to take, but I just got myself the Xenon Infra. It just seemed like a really nice board that would let me progress the way I want to. I think less rocker and better upwind than what I'm used to. Hopefully I didn't just put myself right back in the same spot. :oops:

I decided that for the really light wind days I'll probably just get me a surfboard and practice my jibing. I'm assuming that these boards are even better for lightwind, correct?

bayron
Medium Poster

Postby bayron » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:45 pm

it seams for me that Aboards X-series freestyle & wakestyle kiteboard would fit well for your needs. this board is looking on the direction of wakestyle but don't have such high rocker as pure wakestyle boards and also not so flat as freeride boards. very good board in my opinion. goes on upwind, good pop also good in chop and definitely is great for tricks.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:05 pm

Certeza wrote:
eldadgold wrote:Give the Xenon Infra a try.
I don't know that this was the best route to take, but I just got myself the Xenon Infra. It just seemed like a really nice board that would let me progress the way I want to. I think less rocker and better upwind than what I'm used to. Hopefully I didn't just put myself right back in the same spot. :oops:

I decided that for the really light wind days I'll probably just get me a surfboard and practice my jibing. I'm assuming that these boards are even better for lightwind, correct?
Surf boards are not really light wind boards. It's all about a boards ability to plane. Being 200lbs your going to struggle with light wind riding. Then most fun I have with light wind is a skim board. Since your crossing over from wake you might want to look into a big skim and play with that on the lighter days.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:47 pm

Mako King
We call it the 'cheater board' around here..

Return to “Kitesurfing”