Favorite Beaches: Tarifa, Lefkada, Capo Mannu, Naxos, Tuscany,
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

North Evo vs Neo 2014

Postby gvironda » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:24 pm

Hi guys
Anyone tested properly new Evo and Neo and can comment on differences, especially on range, bar pressure and jumping abilities?
Thanks!

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Re: North Evo vs Neo 2014

Postby Westozzy » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:24 am

Very different kites, built for very different purposes. What do you want the kite for...what is your ring style and goals, might be a better way to ask your question...?

gvironda
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Torbole, Garda Lake

Postby gvironda » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:41 pm

"Generic freeriding", meaning mainly flat water and jumping, and some waves, but no spectacular tubes like in the ocean, more mushy small waves (mainly onshore as well) as in the mediterranean most days
I have flown evos, and cannot find a way to test the neo, and see how they jump e go upwind/depower
ciao!

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:42 am

Righto. Well what separates these two kites then is jumping versus wave ability. The neo principally is a wave kite, can be ridden a size or two smaller but will max out quicker. The Evo has more aspect, is okay in the hands of a good rider in the waves, but ultimately it doesn't come as easy, nor will it hold up in critical sections...but then again doesn't sound like you have decent waves anyway. The neo is a 'nice' and friendly jumper, the Evo is a big booster in the right hands and the right winds. The tips tend to wobble a bit in high winds on the Evo, but it's not too bad at the bar end.

Ultimately the neo is a focused wave kite built to be powerful hence you can use the smallest size possible the Evo is an all round boosting freeride kite, doesn't do anything brilliantly unless lit of your tits. Bar pressure is solid on both kites, more so on the Evo though...the neo is really nimble, the Evo is more obvious...

Honestly from your riding style, try the dice and if you can the new dice. With the advent of the new serious C coming out (those who freeride with the Vegas will no more) and the huge R and D being pumped into the neo, they have moved the dice more into the freestyle arena. More powerful, bigger bottom end, bigger booster with more hangtime (they have opened up the C arc more), more reactive, much much less lag. Not as good in the waves though in our opinion on the surf setting except at it lower to mid wind range..you get overpowered on a SB much quicker, more pull through the turns, can't spill the power as quick (it flies more forward...hence the above charaxterisistcs mentioned). But the changes make sense given their line up.

Dice is a better choice over the neo and Evo for what you have mentioned. I'm still a little perplexed by the Evo, I'm not sure what it adds to the north line up to be perfectly honest...maybe a bigger boosting 4 line option that suites heavier riders who want obvious power, but which still jumps less well than the old fuse and less than the rebel...I don't quite get it.

Hope that helps.

mkNY
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Tobay Beach, Oak Beach, Gilgo Beach
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne - Mauritius, Kite Beach - DR, Silver Sands - Barbados, Cape Hatteras - NC, Long Bay Beach - T&C
Style: Freeride\BigAir
Gear: 2020 Duotone Rebel 7/9/12
Shinn Bronq
Ride Engine
Woooooo

Postby mkNY » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:27 am

Ozzy where did you get all this info on the 2015 Dice?
Have you demoed a proto?

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:12 am

Yep twice.

gvironda
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Torbole, Garda Lake

Postby gvironda » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:53 am

woow! you already demoed the 2015!
makes absolutely sense, given that you are probably one of the most prominent dice ambassador online :-)

I think the modifications they made makes sense. one of the reason I did not go for the dice was the poor bottom end (I do not want to learn how to fly a C kite) and average jumping / hangtime
I north has improved here, I am very happy to move to 3 struts. look like they are moving it a bit towards the bandit design, correct?

so far I like the EVOs, what I am impressed is the speed they generate through apparent wind, it really accelerates a lot

I am also surprised to hear that the neo has lower bar pressure than the neo. I thought it was the opposite, and I already find evo pressure quite light and very comfortable

thanks westozzy

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:01 am

Well the demos have been here for a couple of weeks, my mate is looking for a new kite so that's the only reason really I have been on it so early. A clear sign on its changes is just standing there today on the beach waiting for another winter pulse to rush in, standing side on or 90 degrees to the wind, it flew forward and well beyond this point before falling back. Generates more apparent wind than the old one because of this and yes the bottom end is far easier to access.

Closer to the bandit...it's still more C than a bandit, still kicks its ass in critical wave sections..but yeh it's lost some of its potential on a surfboard and the bar pressure has slightly increased. Been on the wave setting on a SB and the wakestyle on a TT in 4m swell if you wanted to ask. Goes bigger for sure and floats more. But that's kites, you take away from area to improve another. That's just how it is. But I suppose it's moved more into the realm of the bandit in terms of the market it will cater for, for sure.

Be very interesting to see how north market this kite soon.

mkNY
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Tobay Beach, Oak Beach, Gilgo Beach
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne - Mauritius, Kite Beach - DR, Silver Sands - Barbados, Cape Hatteras - NC, Long Bay Beach - T&C
Style: Freeride\BigAir
Gear: 2020 Duotone Rebel 7/9/12
Shinn Bronq
Ride Engine
Woooooo

Postby mkNY » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:43 am

What sizes did you try in what wind?

One of the best qualities of the current Dice is it's amazing top end. I have comfortably taken my 9 to 30knts without any problems. Any insight on the new one. I assume with more bottom end they had to sacrifice at the top along with more bar pressure.

Also did you fly it with shortened back lines, as that really powered up my current Dice.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:37 pm

We'll kiting in winter fronts here so 18 to 30 knots dropping well below 18 today on the lulls.

One session on surfboards back to back with a 2014 9m and 2015 9m (on surf setting). today on a TT even with large swell because the wind was all over the damn place (on wake style setting).

On the first day my mate was getting pretty uncomfortable (and he's 10kg heavier ) on the 2015, I was fine on the 2014. And vica versa when we stopped.

Yep can't increase the bottom end that much without taking some off the top.

I liked the changes but I'm a part time SB guy I love to be highly powered on a TT, my mate stating with the 2014 but he's the other way around. So there you go.

He did have a great session 15 to 18 on his nugget though.

Smoother, more stable, much less lag, much better bottom end, flies further forward , but less SB wave riding ability... But hey that's what you have the neo for.

Return to “Kitesurfing”