Forum for kitesurfers
neworleansrich
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Ozone C4 15m for lighter wind

Postby neworleansrich » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:19 am

Anyone with experience riding the 15m C4 in lighter winds? Turning speed, jump-ability? My Slingshot RPM 14m is wearing out. The RPM is not the best light wind kite but it does turn.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Re: Ozone C4 15m for lighter wind

Postby Westozzy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:12 am

Yes it works well. Although I know of some guys who were on this kite are now using the zephyr to get that better bottom end, so one is powered totally in 15 knots. Over this the zephyr 's unhooking ability drops. So depends on where you want to ride. Quick turning with that usual C feel the C4 even at 15m. Nice even pull through the loop.

neworleansrich
Medium Poster

Postby neworleansrich » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:20 pm

I know the Zephyr well. There are a few around here that I've tried. In this case I'm looking to replace my 14m RPM so I'm not really thinking about the ultimate low end, but maybe like 12-14mph. Is the 15m C-4 significantly faster turning compared to the Zephyr?

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:11 am

Mmm it depend hey. I suppose you could say yes. Remember the zephyr comes with 27m lines though.

But it turns fast enough.

Depends on what riding style you are looking at I suppose. Also if you like that bit of aspect in a kite as I do.

The C4 is a hybrid C and that's what the feel is like. The zephyr develops more apparent wind hence has a better low end but I reckon the edge in it allows it to have a good top end to. The C4 is a C kite hence will have a more marginal range. If ya into C kites it is an easy choice.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:15 pm

You've got to realize that a C4 15m is just a big c-shaped kite, which is not the same thing as a big light-wind kite. As such, a Rally 12 probably has more low en guts than the C4 15. I'm not saying it's a bad kite, but it's more of a big kite for big boys than a light-wind kite for normal Joes... My last one was a 2011, sold it right after testing my buddy's 13m (let's just say that it was a delta-shaped kite) and seeing how he's blasting upwind while I'm getting my arms ripped out by the C4.

neworleansrich
Medium Poster

Postby neworleansrich » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:30 pm

Thanks for the comments, I think I need to start looking in another direction.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:57 pm

If you like the RPM 14, you may like a C4 15m, but the bigger C shaped kites are typically not super popular as light wind kites. The big C4's do turn fast and all the C4's are great kites, but I think that the more delta or sle hybrid shapes are are what most of the best lightwind kites are now.
The Epic Renegade 13M LTD has been a great lightwind kite for me.
If you want to go out in light wind and blast upwind the R13M LTD is a great choice.
It is perfect for someone who does not want to use something the size of a Zephyr (and the other 17/18/19M kites).
For me it replaced my old Slingshot Turbo 2 14M.
The R13M LTD is great in gusty winds, has lots of low end, good boost and float, super stable and great upwind.
Last edited by L0KI on Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:03 pm

Oldnbroken wrote:If you like the RPM 14, you may like a C4 15m, but the bigger C shaped kites are typically not super popular as light wind kites.
The Epic Renegade 13M LTD has been a great lightwind kite for me.
If you want to go out in light wind and blast upwind (as the previous poster noticed right away) but something the size of a Zephyr is just more kite than you want, I strongly suggest the R13 LTD.
Super stable, great in gusty winds, lots of low end, good boost and float, and great upwind.
I was discrete enough not to fall in any unnecessary pimping, but you've asked for it your-self. That R13 LTD is exactly what i've changed my C4 15m for and the only thing i'm regretting so far - is that i've also got the original Epic bar which turned out to be the worst bar i've ever had. Total and absolute rubbish!

How's that for pimping OB? :thumb: :bye:

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:07 pm

I agree that the Epic Renegade 13M LTD is a great kite!
I get along very well with my two year old Epic/Blade bar and my three year old Blade bar.

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:32 pm

I am going to have to agree with Alexeyga. The 15m C4 is not a good light wind kite at all. The Epic Renegade 13 is a very nice kite for what you want but the bar is crap. If you get the Renegade, use a different bar like your SS. Other kites that might interest you for the reasons you are asking would be:
Airush Varial X 14m
Cabrinha Switchblade 14m
Naish Park 14m
Best TS 15m
F-One Bandit 14m
LF Envy 15m

All of these kites have better low end than the C4 15m and are in the same class as the RPM which is also an awesome kite.

Good luck!

Return to “Kitesurfing”