Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

FoilBoarding - is it the future of kiteboarding?

Forum for kitesurfers
swell
Frequent Poster
Gear: the fastest
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: FoilBoarding - is it the future of kiteboarding?

Postby swell » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:17 am

For the 95% of twintip riders the directionals are useless because of the fact that they require tacking or jibing, that actually means a significant better kite flying skills... if only raceboards and foilboards were bidirectional! :allbegood: ...

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: FoilBoarding - is it the future of kiteboarding?

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:35 pm

swell wrote:For the 95% of twintip riders the directionals are useless because of the fact that they require tacking or jibing, that actually means a significant better kite flying skills... if only raceboards and foilboards were bidirectional! :allbegood: ...
Hmmm, here, yesterday, 12 kitesurfers were out, and only on waveboards - not one single TT rider.

At other purely flatwater (and low) spots, there are many TT riders and beginners, true - but the ratio TT/Directional has changed hugely the last years (here), because directionals of course perform better in every aspect, and many get bored on TT's after having ridden directionals.

So having foilboards and raceboards as bidirectionals, would in all aspects ruin all purposes IMO :(

Namely, that jibing and tacking and performing is the thing most find awesome, after the first learning years.

Has actually started teaching some on directionals again now - as it is easier and a more natural stance than a TT, and does not require the same power.
Just like back in 2000/2001 :rollgrin:

I dont think (but I dont know actually...) that this trend towards more and more directionals, are only here locally - but all over the world :thumb:

8) Peter

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: FOILBOARDING - is it the future of kiteboarding?

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:54 pm

kinchencool wrote:
TheJoe wrote:Nope just a good light wind alternative to those that are willing to spend the money on one and a giant light wind kite. Mowing the lawn on a foil is not for everyone. I would rather go to the cable park and get a pull than fight light wind. Lucky for me I have that option.
Giant kite? I was out in 4 knots with a 13m in my hydro. :wink:
TheJoe - you got no clue what it is all about ?

"Moving the lawn" is in every aspect the wrong term to use :-?

You say "spend money on a giant light wind kite" ???

That is only for the "old" boards, that these kitesizes were needed (also needed for raceboards)...

On a hydrofoil you can go down not only one kitesize, but two kitesizes, in light wind - and you still blast upwind and downwind with blistering speed, so absolutely no "mowing the lawn" there.

You can also make really cool tricks (when you can)

Of course it is not "the future", as freestyle and waveriding is what most are into, and conditions really good for this many places.

But in regards of racing and light wind alternatives - besides being AWESOME, also in heavy winds, I think it is definitely the future.

Actually, the latest raceboards has been beaten by margins at some events - so many has had an "eye opener" and thinking "raceboards are not the fastest anymore" :wink:

Not very practical, nope - and will never be mainstream IMO, but raceboards has found its way all over the world lately, and many using these.
I think the same will happen now, with foilboards.

Has been really stagnant and "minimum" the last years, but then Zeeko made a really performing production hydrofoil, and many brands has followed - so now the trend seem to "grow".

I predict that there will be MANY hydrofoils from now on, compared to earlier - no matter whether the price goes down or not :naughty:

As said - not the future in general, nope - but really growing right now.

8) Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”