But exactly where do lines stretch?

Forum for kitesurfers
NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

But exactly where do lines stretch?

Postby NYKiter » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:12 pm

Now that I have purchased several new line sets I am seeing that the centers stretch ~1 inch every 10 sessions. I am also noticing micro fraying at each end before the sleeves. I'm guessing they only stretch at the points where they attach...anyone confirm this? And how much stretching is ok? Is 5 inches ok? Is 10 inches ok? I have noticed a set that stretched 6 inches. When is it time to rotate the steering lines to the centers?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: But exactly WHERE do lines stretch?

Postby edt » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:58 pm

the lines are made out of Ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene it's basically a kind of plastic with really really long chains. What happens with this material is that the more you stress it, the more the chains tend to line up with each other, and the more they are in line the stronger the line gets. So as long as the line itself doesn't get noticeably thin or if the line abrades, stretching them is actually good for the line. So 5, 10 or even 20 inches is ok the line is getting stronger -- until the point where it is stretched so much it gets thin, then you have to replace it. the fraying near the attachment is because the lines rub against each other. As long as the lines aren't frayed too much you dont have to rotate the lines. What you can do is attach your lines against and a fixed object like a post and pull on the bar until they are all stretched the same -- aka tune the bar.ou If you notice the centers are getting frayed, then swapping the centers with the steering lines can give you a bit of extra life. But don't worry about line stretch in regards to line wear.

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: But exactly where do lines stretch?

Postby Jbrook » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:57 pm

Why are Q lines so superior to other lines. Seems like as prices of bar goes up, lines get shittier?

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:03 pm

Jbrook wrote:Why are Q lines so superior to other lines. Seems like as prices of bar goes up, lines get shittier?
q-powerline is cored not woven, go look it up if you want to learn more. There is an intrinsic advantage in price cored line in regards to strength because there is no stress in the weave but the disadvantage is that you can't splice the line and it's fatter for the strength of the line because you have a core. If you go buy some 3rd party line and do your own splices, q-powerline, 1.75mm dyneema sk-75 it's all about the same price. If you shop around and are patient you can find brand new 600 pound 22m line sets for $50-$60. The better line sets have 800 pound center lines, so they will be a bit more expensive than either q-powerline or the 600 pound line sets. q-powerline is only rated 600 pound but it tends to be feel as strong as an 800 pound. I buy 800 pound dyneema sk-75 spools and splice lines as needed

the real advantage in q-powerline is that all the stuff that touches the line, grass, twigs, sand, they hit the outer core but in a woven line you can get a nick in the line that will eventually snap it, that's why q-powerline tends to last forever. It's not necessarily better or stronger just a different technology it's a cored line instead of a 12 strand line.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:11 pm

once again awesome info... edt
where do you buy this stuff, I can only find larger diameter 1600lb sk-75... and only by the foot at that....

edit that... just found this link... not sure I am willing to risk my money on this site, looks a bit risky?

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 06616.html

also do you splice and sleeve or is the splice on its own good enough?
Last edited by Laughingman on Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:18 pm

Laughingman wrote:once again awesome info... edt
I was going to say the same thing!!!! Killer stuff. :thumb:

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Jbrook » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:56 pm

EDT you da man tks for the info!

I have bought numerous things from that website for my wife, they always come thru but sometimes takes 3 to 4 weeks to receive. I usually buy thru Amazon.com, so if they don't ship I can get my money back. Bet this product is available to be purchased thru Aliexpress on Amazon?

JB

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:17 pm

I get mine apps sailing put a pigtail on it to make it easier to larks head

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Jbrook » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:32 pm

What do you guys think of this bar? What brand is it? Good lines?

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 07194.html

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:10 am

Jbrook wrote:What do you guys think of this bar? What brand is it? Good lines?

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 07194.html

you are trusting your life to your qr. I wouldn't do it

Return to “Kitesurfing”