All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: But exactly where do lines stretch?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:16 am 
Very Frequent Poster

edt wrote:
I get mine apps sailing put a pigtail on it to make it easier to larks head

sorry edt, I'm guessing where you get this was a typo or iphone correction?

Pigtails are no problem, I have them and can make them I just want to be sure that the line splice loop is sufficient and sleeving is not required and if so do you sew the line splice loop or not?

sorry for all the questions, its a first for me and I certainly don't want to reinvent the wheel...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:12 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Laughingman wrote:
edt wrote:
I get mine apps sailing put a pigtail on it to make it easier to larks head

sorry edt, I'm guessing where you get this was a typo or iphone correction?

Pigtails are no problem, I have them and can make them I just want to be sure that the line splice loop is sufficient and sleeving is not required and if so do you sew the line splice loop or not?

sorry for all the questions, its a first for me and I certainly don't want to reinvent the wheel...

stupid autocorrect. yes aps Annapolis performance sailing. You do not need to sleeve. At the bar end I usually leave them as simple spliced loops, but at the kite end it's a real pain to move them off and on the bridle. There are many kinds of splices, lock stitches, zacher knot brummel etc. I use a simple splice with zacher knot on the steering lines and simple splice with lock stitch if it has to pass thru a safety.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:00 am 
Very Frequent Poster

... do lines have a "layer" over the fibres so when they get older, this layer wears off and the lines get thinner, therefore closer to snapping?? With the "layer" disappearing it can wear down the strong fibers so you get breakages??

Also, can lines shrink?? My front lines always seem to stretch as they are the lines that are always under load, but is it possible for the steering lines (which aren't always under the same heavy load) to shrink due to the "layer" wearing off so it appears that the front lines are stretching??

Is this crazy thinking??? What do you think???

cheers,

Robbie :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:00 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Jbrook wrote:
What do you guys think of this bar? What brand is it? Good lines?

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 07194.html

For a slightly bit more $$ I can bring you a North 2012 bar with 24m of lines. I will be back end of July.
But in exchange you need to sell my Epic crap as you promised!

Cheers
Your mate :party:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:12 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Puetz wrote:
... do lines have a "layer" over the fibres so when they get older, this layer wears off and the lines get thinner, therefore closer to snapping?? With the "layer" disappearing it can wear down the strong fibers so you get breakages??

Also, can lines shrink?? My front lines always seem to stretch as they are the lines that are always under load, but is it possible for the steering lines (which aren't always under the same heavy load) to shrink due to the "layer" wearing off so it appears that the front lines are stretching??

cheers,

Ask any owner of a bridled foil or paraglider if lines can shrink :o Dirt getting between the fibres etc makes them shrink.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:40 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Thanks edt. Can you show any pics of your splices?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:25 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Kamikuza wrote:
Puetz wrote:

cheers,

Ask any owner of a bridled foil or paraglider if lines can shrink :o Dirt getting between the fibres etc makes them shrink.

... interesting indeed!

I've made a concerted effort to wash my bar and lines every session now and noticed that I don't have to re-tune my bar as much as I used too. I wonder if it because I have kept the sand and salt crystals out of the lines fibres from building up?????

Cool ! :thumb:

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2