Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Fuerte, Cape Verde, Tenerife, Guincho? Where would you go?

Forum for kitesurfers
mz16
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Fuerte, Cape Verde, Tenerife, Guincho? Where would you go?

Postby mz16 » Tue May 27, 2014 5:14 pm

Planning a kite vacation for about 10 days. Have read a lot of info on these locations but still unsure where to go. Would love a hotel near the kite beach, but definitely not opposed to renting a car.

keviene
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Rota, Spain
Favorite Beaches: Rota,Tarifa
Style: Freeride
Gear: North Evo 12m 09

Re: Fuerte, Cape Verde, Tenerife, Guincho? Where would you g

Postby keviene » Tue May 27, 2014 10:36 pm

depend on what you are looking for. if i had to choose i would go to cape verde then fuerte and last guincho ( in the canary islands i only would go to fuerteventura, also las palmas de gran canaria)

to me Cape verde seems more exotic (also is farther from spain where i live), i have a friend that went some time ago and was very please with that place.

i strongly recommend fuerteventura,( is the place where i learnt) it has several precious spots, and it has very good hotels (i stayed at the hotel gorriones "rene egly center", but also we rented a car to see the island)

mz16
Frequent Poster

Postby mz16 » Thu May 29, 2014 6:46 am

I think we are going to go to Fuerte with maybe part of the trip in Dakhla. Looking forward to it. Does Fuerte still get any waves in the summer or is it just winter months?

Is there any downwindability in Fuerte? Looks like it might be possible to start at Flag Beach and work downwind and maybe bus back from somewhere...

Also, how gusty is sotavento? We talking you get jerked around a bit or kites falling out of the sky gusty? People complain about Maui being super gusty but I always thought it was lovely :)

keviene
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Rota, Spain
Favorite Beaches: Rota,Tarifa
Style: Freeride
Gear: North Evo 12m 09

Postby keviene » Thu May 29, 2014 9:28 am

In sotavento you can find some gusty winds, but nothing crazy like tarifa (with levante)
i think you cand have pretty good downwinds there.

if youre looking for waves in dakhla or essaouria you can find some pretty decent waves, but dakhla have a perfect lagoon flatwater, and also waves

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Thu May 29, 2014 9:50 am

keviene wrote:In sotavento you can find some gusty winds, but nothing crazy like tarifa (with levante)
I would not agree with that. Levante in Tarifa is more windy, but by far not as gusty as Sotavento.

You get 15°+ shifts and add to that the on strong wind days the wind gusts from 10-40knots near center one. Never had anything like that in Tarifa.

--
Gunnar

silversurfer_no
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vargas, Pozo, Punta Maspalomas, Burras
Style: Waveriding
Gear: North/Duotone Neo (3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10)
ProWam 5’10”

Postby silversurfer_no » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:16 am

Canarias:
Still the beginning of the trade season but we have had some most excellent conditions the past weeks and today we still have 40 knots. Check conditions at pozowinds.com for Gran Canaria.
I would say your chances of good winds in the canarias would be good for your period.
As for which island I would agree that Fuerteventura has the best selection of different spots. Waves on the north coast (Majanicho and other spots), bump&jump and some waves around Corralejo (Flag and Glass beach) and the infamous Sotavento which has strong (but very very gusty) wind and flat water both in the lagoon when full or just outside the sandbar.
Gran Canaria is a bit more hardcore with stronger winds (add 10 knots+) and rocky beaches. The sandy beaches in the south do not work with the summer trades. If you can handle 40 knots, rocky launch, a bit of a shorebreak and large blown windswell GC is really good :-)
As for Tenerife I cannot say but for all I know only El Medano really works there.

Cabo Verde:
Their season is over windwise. The trades move north for the summer and it will not be as reliable as the canarias this time of year.

Dakhla:
Winds about as canarias. Enormous sandy lagoon and some nice outside stuff also. Besides kitesurfing not much (read nothing) to do. If you are travelling with non-sailing companions forget about it. Best way to get there is via Gran Canaria. Saharafly departs twice weekly for about 230 euros return. Good in combination with Gran Canaria and remeber you can also get by ferry from Fuerte to GC easily. 4 hours from Morro Jable to Las Palmas.

Tarifa:
Someone else should probably comment on this as I have only sailed there twice for a week. Levante nice and strong but a little gusty. Nothing like Sotavento though, much more stable. Poniente ok but will see the beach packed with 1000's of crazy newbies flying all over the place.

Portugal:
Cannot say, never tried.

mz16
Frequent Poster

Postby mz16 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:16 pm

Great info silversurfer! Thanks.

Are the waves still pretty good in Dakhla that time of year? I assume they mainly get winter swell, and not much in june.

silversurfer_no
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vargas, Pozo, Punta Maspalomas, Burras
Style: Waveriding
Gear: North/Duotone Neo (3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10)
ProWam 5’10”

Postby silversurfer_no » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:32 pm

You are right about the big swells being from the north arriving in the wintertime. In the Canaries we do receive the occasional long period southswell in the summer but mainly it will be shorter period (but can be reasonable amplitude) windswell from the NNE.
I have only been once to the wavespot in Dakhla and that was in june. Very small waves but the place seems to be lined up well. I have friends who have sailed waves there and have ejoyed the spot, I seem to remember it was called Om Labor or something.....

Anyway, if you are big wave hunting, Dakhla in the summer is probably not the right place.

Guttorm
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Favorite Beaches: El Medano, Sardinia, Rædergården, Trones, Leksdalsvatnet
Gear: Ozone R1 v4 18
Ozone Edge 17 & 19
Core XR4 11 13.5
Core XR3 9
Core Choice 3
Slingshot Glide LW
Core SLC foilboard