Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

EpicKites 4G

Forum for kitesurfers
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: EpicKites 4G

Postby Laughingman » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:42 pm

I have received and tested my new EPIC 4G Renegades in sizes 9m, 11m and 13m Ltd . I have been out several times on the 9m and had two sessions each on the 11m and 13m

1st. let me tell you about the customer service that I received from Dimitri, Helen and Kristy. Very prompt responses to all questions I had, they followed my shipping instructions to a T and were very friendly and supportive.

2nd. I love these bags... My wife and I have 5 Renegades now (5,7,9,11,13m) and I keep them in 3 bags and then within these bags is another thinner bag which extends to allow you to leave the struts inflated. Really nice touch.

3rd. Build Quality... I had 2 Flexifoil Ion3s for 4 years, they are still in great condition, I would say they are the best built kites on the market, that was until I inspected my Renegade 4Gs. These things are built to be tough, re-enforcement points on every spot you could think it was needed. I have heard people say the older models were built as good as the big brands but I think it is safe to say now the 4Gs exceed the quality of most brands period. First class quality, and high quality Ronstan pulleys (the ones that will still stay attached if there is a mechanical failure) Never have I seen these supplied on kites from the factory.

4th. Performance...
- Excellent range generally but I think they favor the low end
- Excellent instant re-launch and reverse launch for those light wind days
- perfect bar pressure, about 2/3rds of the switchblade
- single center line safety system/kill switch

I just love to throw this kite around the wind window, it does exactly what I expect it to do. I can count on it relaunching with ease so there is no need to worry about trying new tricks and I can stay on the water about twice as long as I was able to with my old kites.

The only suggestion I have for a change was to provide 5m line extensions with the 13m instead of 15m line replacements. I personally think the 13m should be flown with 27m lines but that could be because I was using a 48cm bar instead of a 55cm bar and/or its just what I am used to. By the way it fly's fine on 37m lines in 8 - 10 knots... I was even able to get upwind on a largish twin tip..

All in all we are very happy with all of the EPIC kites we have purchased and looking forward to the 4G bar.
So excited for the rest of the season... Kiting just got more fun!

Sincerely
Pete

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby windsuks » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:33 am

Great review Pete

We've had a few sessions on the 4G Renegades here now, mostly on the 9m as I am usually on a surfboard, got to say I'm really loving them also.

Not tried it on the wave setting yet but it already feels super smooth and real quick tight in the turns.

nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Loutsa Nissakia,Oropos,Vouliagmeni
Style: wave,bigair,megaloops,hydrofoil,wingfoil
Gear: Epic kites,BTS kiteboards,cohete surfboards,SAB,GAC hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites,GAC

Postby nikalaitzian » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:59 pm

That 9m Judge 4G made me happy.Bridled works really fine with the bar passing effortless.cant wait to try it without bridles and loop it :)
Attachments
image.jpg

nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster

Postby nikalaitzian » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:01 pm

Laughingman wrote:I have received and tested my new EPIC 4G Renegades in sizes 9m, 11m and 13m Ltd . I have been out several times on the 9m and had two sessions each on the 11m and 13m

1st. let me tell you about the customer service that I received from Dimitri, Helen and Kristy. Very prompt responses to all questions I had, they followed my shipping instructions to a T and were very friendly and supportive.

2nd. I love these bags... My wife and I have 5 Renegades now (5,7,9,11,13m) and I keep them in 3 bags and then within these bags is another thinner bag which extends to allow you to leave the struts inflated. Really nice touch.

3rd. Build Quality... I had 2 Flexifoil Ion3s for 4 years, they are still in great condition, I would say they are the best built kites on the market, that was until I inspected my Renegade 4Gs. These things are built to be tough, re-enforcement points on every spot you could think it was needed. I have heard people say the older models were built as good as the big brands but I think it is safe to say now the 4Gs exceed the quality of most brands period. First class quality, and high quality Ronstan pulleys (the ones that will still stay attached if there is a mechanical failure) Never have I seen these supplied on kites from the factory.

4th. Performance...
- Excellent range generally but I think they favor the low end
- Excellent instant re-launch and reverse launch for those light wind days
- perfect bar pressure, about 2/3rds of the switchblade
- single center line safety system/kill switch

I just love to throw this kite around the wind window, it does exactly what I expect it to do. I can count on it relaunching with ease so there is no need to worry about trying new tricks and I can stay on the water about twice as long as I was able to with my old kites.

The only suggestion I have for a change was to provide 5m line extensions with the 13m instead of 15m line replacements. I personally think the 13m should be flown with 27m lines but that could be because I was using a 48cm bar instead of a 55cm bar and/or its just what I am used to. By the way it fly's fine on 37m lines in 8 - 10 knots... I was even able to get upwind on a largish twin tip..

All in all we are very happy with all of the EPIC kites we have purchased and looking forward to the 4G bar.
So excited for the rest of the season... Kiting just got more fun!

Sincerely
Pete
just sorten them my friend.i did that with mine ;)

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:24 am

I can do that... Did you just cut and tie or are they hollow core which allows you to splice?

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Postby L0KI » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:57 am

nikalaitzian wrote:That 9m Judge 4G made me happy.
Bridled works really fine with the bar passing effortless.
Cant wait to try it without bridles and loop it :)
Did you loop it with the bridle?

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:27 am

Thank you Laughingman for your inputs on the new 4G kites you just got. I guess all you had to do was try them and as always, the kites talk for themselves.
:thumb:
Now concerning the (5) meter extension lines for the RENEGADE 13 LTD. It is a great idea but most of the people don't like extension lines because sometimes the lines get stuck together when you relaunch the kites because of the connections. They like to fly the kite on 22 meter lines or use the 15 meters for teaching or for surfing. But they can always buy on our ONLINE STORE or any of our Epic dealers and extra set of (5 meter) extension lines.
The only kite that has an extra set of (5 meter) extension lines instead of the (15 meter) lines is the INFINITY kite. But your inputs are taken into consideration and maybe for the next (5G) kites the RENEGADE 13 LTD will come with an extra set of (5 m) lines instead of (20 m) lines.

This is the RENEGADE 13 LTD (4G) in action in Rhodos "Greece".
Attachments
GPV_0471 - Version 2 1.jpg
GPV_0020-6 2.jpg
DSC_0110 1.jpg
DSC_0152 2.jpg

nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster

Postby nikalaitzian » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:38 pm

Laughingman wrote:I can do that... Did you just cut and tie or are they hollow core which allows you to splice?
Cut the sewing line with a cutter so the loop can be undone(dont remove the "sox" and clean all the remainings from the stiching).measure all the lines to the length that you want and secure them with som insulating tape so they wont move and lose the equal length.Sew them again in "z" sewing(the sailrepairist can do that) and you re ready.

nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster

Postby nikalaitzian » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:45 pm

Oldnbroken wrote:
nikalaitzian wrote:That 9m Judge 4G made me happy.
Bridled works really fine with the bar passing effortless.
Cant wait to try it without bridles and loop it :)
Did you loop it with the bridle?
No my friend..just a bit unhooked KL3s...but it didnt seemed too explosive as my 8m Judge 3G..

I will at PAROS wich is more windy :wink:

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:17 pm

Will wait to hear your results.
Bridled C kites seem to be just right for me these days, they keep most of the nice feel of a C kite, but with the easy things that the better sle/delta kites do.

Return to “Kitesurfing”