Forum for kitesurfers
UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: EpicKites 4G

Postby UKSurf » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:34 pm

Dmitri is certainly one of the most polarising figures in the kitesurfing industry. When I first started reading the forum I also found his over the top claims for his brand slightly aggravating as well :D At the end of the day I am sure Epic kites are good, but so are all the other manufacturers in this over crowded market place. It pretty hard to get attention unless you want to spend alot on advertising or sponsor top riders. Epic use this forum to promote their product more than any other manufacturer and I am sure this is something they pay the sites owner for. Whether this internet chatter translates into sales is another issue, I still have not seen an Epic Kite at home or abroad. I am sure Dmitiri's promotional videos have sold alot more kites than his postings here.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dimitri M » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:20 pm

Dmitri is certainly one of the most polarising figures in the kitesurfing industry. When I first started reading the forum I also found his over the top claims for his brand slightly aggravating as well :D At the end of the day I am sure Epic kites are good, but so are all the other manufacturers in this over crowded market place. It pretty hard to get attention unless you want to spend alot on advertising or sponsor top riders. Epic use this forum to promote their product more than any other manufacturer and I am sure this is something they pay the sites owner for. Whether this internet chatter translates into sales is another issue, I still have not seen an Epic Kite at home or abroad. I am sure Dmitiri's promotional videos have sold alot more kites than his postings here.
Thank you UKSurf for your post. I was wondering what happened to you since we have not heard from you for a while.
I thought you had the chance to demo an E P I C kite and finally understood why we have so many kiters writing up reviews and testimonials about the E P I C products .
And "Yes" it is true there is a lot of good companies out there with great product, but to tell you the truth no other kite company out there has the passion and dedication that I have for this sport. In few words, I'm a one man show. Not only I am the owner of the company, but I'm a team rider, I'm the R&D person, I'm the Public Relation person, I'm the one taking care of the customers, I'm the one doing the videos, the editing and the photo shoots, I'm the one putting my self in danger, I'm the one pushing the limits in order to bring you one of the best brand out there with the best performance, quality and customer service. But again not to forget the help I get from my kite designer Momi, from my graphic designer Jeroen, from my team riders, dealers and so on...
So in few words I think this sums it up. You get what you see.
:thumb:
Attachments
DSC_0065.jpg

kiterjames
Rare Poster
Gear: Wainman
Been thanked: 0

Postby kiterjames » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:16 am

Dimitri M wrote:
I'm the one pushing the limits in order to bring you one of the best brand out there with the best performance, quality and customer service.
:thumb:
There we go again. The best performance and quality? I've had a chance to inspect and fly the Epic Screamer. It is not the best performance or highest quality kite I have ever flown, not by a long way. There is very little reinforcing around the trailing edge where the kite will wear the most, the bridal on the 7 month old kite I flew looked like it needed replacing and unlike the major companies the canopy was made from standard rip stop and not the stiffer and stronger double rip stop from North, Best, Core, Cabrinha etc. To produce a top quality kite you need to be using this material regardless of the expense.

I liked the flying characteristics of the Screamer, it does boost very well, it reminded me of my first kites which were North Rebels which I loved, great for big floaty tricks but due to the bridal I found that there was a slight delay when sending the kite but I got used to the delay quickly. The kite is not made for unhooking and it shows although I've seen the videos and Rocky does make the kite look good for unhooking (what pro won't)!

I've read a lot of positive feedback on Epic's customer service (and a couple of negative) and I don't think anyone can fault Dimitri for his enthusiasm and dedication to his brand even though it does get out of control.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:42 am

Lets face it, it does make for an interesting forum :D and heck you can't knock his enthusiasm.

I say who gives a fck about promotion and all that jazz, what, do you have weak sales resistance?

Whatever is said, you gotta fly before you buy, inspect before you buy.

I got no problem with Dimitri or his enthusiastic promotion of a line of kites he is passionate about.

Doesn't mean I'm going to go out and buy one.

I personally have a giggle t the antics, and make one thing certain, he would rip an new assehole for 99 percent of kiters out there. Respect for his riding skills I say.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.

Postby Dimitri M » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:45 pm

......There is very little reinforcing around the trailing edge where the kite will wear the most, the bridal on the 7 month old kite I flew looked like it needed replacing and unlike the major companies the canopy was made from standard rip stop and not the stiffer and stronger double rip stop from North, Best, Core, Cabrinha etc. To produce a top quality kite you need to be using this material regardless of the expense......
With all due respect Mr.kiterjames, but obviously I can see they are so many things you don't know about construction and performance of a kite. For example there is a reason why we don't put this type of reinforcement on the Trailing Edge of our EPIC kites and rather use the one we are using. Trust me we have tried this on our prototype kites and after few months we had other problems. So in few words, having something heavy and strong that doesn't stretch on a trailing edge is not a good idea. But what do I know. I am just a kiter correct!!!!

P.S. Why do you think the EPIC kites have such amazing performance, quality and customer service!!!! Well the answer is very simple. I do fly and test other kite brands to make sure we are on the right track and try to make the EPIC kites even better. So once again, if you don't like the EPIC topic, please skip to the next topic. It is as simple as this.
Attachments
Dimitri testing different kite companies.jpg
Dimitri and David Balair.jpg
DSC_0128 5.jpg
DSC_0118 3.jpg
DSC_0107 1.jpg
DSC_0120 4.jpg

kiterjames
Rare Poster
Gear: Wainman

Postby kiterjames » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:13 pm

Hey Dimitri. I understand your point about a heavy trailing edge, I believe North have addressed this problem by redesigning their trailing edge. We will see if this works. Personally I like to have

Will Epic be producing their kites with the double ripstop nylon in the future or do you not believe that this is a superior canopy material?

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:51 pm

Whatever you do Dimitri. Don't use what best is using. Ive seen so many Best kites rip in half this season its a wonder there is no thread on the kf about it. No wonder they have a lifetime warrenty....

nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Loutsa Nissakia,Oropos,Vouliagmeni
Style: wave,bigair,megaloops,hydrofoil,wingfoil
Gear: Epic kites,BTS kiteboards,cohete surfboards,SAB,GAC hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites,GAC

Postby nikalaitzian » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:44 pm

Laughingman wrote:Whatever you do Dimitri. Don't use what best is using. Ive seen so many Best kites rip in half this season its a wonder there is no thread on the kf about it. No wonder they have a lifetime warrenty....
Strange .... i ve seen quite a few ripped appart and there isnt any topic about it... :naughty:

underwaterbears
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Everything
Gear: RRD visions

Postby underwaterbears » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:18 pm

Dimitri M wrote:
P.S. Why do you think the EPIC kites have such amazing performance, quality and customer service!!!! Well the answer is very simple. I do fly and test other kite brands to make sure we are on the right track and try to make the EPIC kites even better. So once again, if you don't like the EPIC topic, please skip to the next topic. It is as simple as this.

I have a RRD you can test, its for sale (so i can buy renegades) ;)

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:20 am

Hey Dimitri. I understand your point about a heavy trailing edge, I believe North have addressed this problem by redesigning their trailing edge. We will see if this works. Personally I like to have
Will Epic be producing their kites with the double ripstop nylon in the future or do you not believe that this is a superior canopy material?
That is a good question Mr.kiterjames. Right now a lot of kite companies are putting more time and research on the kite material so the kite can be lighter and stronger, which is a great idea. But until then I will still use some of these ideas on my prototype kites until I am 100% sure they work and won't cripple the kite or fall apart after few months. So using the "Double Ripstop Nylon" might be a great idea but like you said, time will tell.
Just remember what happened 8 years ago with another kite company. Supposedly they had the best thing ever. So in few words I will let these kite companies go first and see what happens and on the back burner I will be conducting these test on my own prototypes.
Attachments
GPV_0082-4.jpg
DSC_0010.jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”