Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

EpicKites 4G

Forum for kitesurfers
Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES
Has thanked: 0

Re: EpicKites 4G

Postby Dimitri M » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:05 pm

Poster: EastCC
We organised some demo days over in West Oz recently, a BIG thanks to the Epic team rider over there
So how did the EPIC demo turn out? Can we have any testimonial from people that tried the kites?

EastCC
Medium Poster
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo - Australia

Postby EastCC » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:53 pm

Demo's went great. Everyone stoked on the new Epic gear, we will be running some more demo's in Western Australia and Queensland early in the new year. Here are some reviews from Seabreeze, WA kiters:

Bar: Not much to say, its a bar in the end with lines that attach to a kite. I see Dimitri has opted for the same lines as ozone, wise choice. Quick release all good, normal suicide setup. He still insists on a very large depower strap, which was hard to reach for us two 5 foot 11/9 lads but hey we still could get to it to trim. Not that I trim a great deal anyway so not a concern. Good solid bar setup that does the job nicely.
Inflate still the old style, dont rate it personally and dont concur with some of the so called issues crew are banging on about with the large inflate valves, so hey it pumped up just fine! A couple of things I did like was the very simple way to change bar length (knots on each side of the bar end with larks heads), the back lines (knots under the floats) and knots on the front and back line pigtails when line stretch occurs. It's got some simple, concise solutions from a real rider, not some gadgetry that seem it was designed by anemic nerd behind a computer or some douche sitting on a 'bar design' committee. Simple, that's what we need not more plastic sh1t bits that might look good in colour magazines or on vids in the hands of some d1ck with sunglasses 3 sizes too big for him...that can ultimately break and just thoroughly piss you off.

Kite: 4G screamer, nothing new here. Didnt notice any difference with the 3G as after all as Dimitri has said, what needs changing. It is what it is; A bloody powerful boosting machine. The power in this 9m is something to behold. We had it from marginal to 25 knot conditions so we saw it in play from the low end to the mid high end. Did I say it went big? Huge actually. Had a cool session just my bro and I, like old times, just seeing who could jump the highest over each others lines and kites (ooh better be-careful might be another nanny state post coming up!). We were getting some good height in 18 knots so I thought, hang on, whats going to happen in 25?. I suppose this is where the screamer denotation comes into play. Kite does fly forward quickly then sits back a little giving you that constant powerful pull. This along with its mix of pivotal and arc turning, as well as the required positive (some might say heavy) input to the bar for turning equates to one important characteristic: A bucket load of feedback when kissing the sky. Unlike say a race kite type boost, you know where this kite is at all times. Its saying 'hey dumbass down there, I am HERE!. Its a freeride, old school type kite lending itself to such activities with the immense hang-time afforded. Its no park and ride kite, likes to be flown, the harder the better. So as I said nothing new here.

10LTD: The new incarnation, the prototype,a potential future kite and all that jazz! Bar pressure is lower on this slightly and the power delivery in far more linear. You can feel the renegade at work in this regard. Also when loading and boosting you can feel the judge at play, it likes a more C kite attack, not true C attack, but elements of it. In 25 knots the 9m, you can leave the water at any time, with little input, just send back leg in and GO! This kite requires a little more attention. But we felt we got ripped more vertically when we got it right; Height and hang-time still impressive. Both kites had a similar low end which was interesting. Some greater drift in it than the 9 traditional 9m screamer, but I wouldnt be charging down a 3 head high wave on this kite. It is what youd expect a dialed down screamer with still heaps of potential for big airs. One thing is for sure you can shut the power off quicker on this kite in the last part of the throw, which allowed far more aggressive turns and transitions. Didnt unhook I know they claim you can, especially on the 10m, but honestly I would suspect you would still need to trim this kite a fair bit unless you are technically very good. I wouldnt get this kite to unhook, Id get it to go big, period. For the record we both liked this kite better and would suggest (what it is worth) pursuing this design in the future R and D. That original screamer is such a specific kite and must only appeal to mad dogs and Englishmen.

Build quality: Looks okay to me, everything youd expect in a modern kite, but really only time and use can determine a kite manufactures longevity, so I really dont know why we comment on this. All kites look pretty darn good lying there on the beach nowadays.

Get in touch with EastCC there are some demos floating about our parts. Worth a ride and why not!!
Last edited by EastCC on Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EastCC
Medium Poster

Postby EastCC » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:54 pm

And:

I had the 4g 10m LTD out at the top end in 30 knots - you better hang on tight when sending it as hard as you can stomping the edge, it keeps going up and the beach gets a little small from up there and no suprises that the float will let you helicopter loop it half way down the same beach too I nearly got caught out when walking towards the water, pulling the bar to half way like my 9... WTF im going up - a quick panic bar adjustment lol and im on the ground again - learnt my lesson but new I was in for a treat For an aggressive rip you upwards big air kite with float for old school board offs or just to get bored waiting to come down softly its great. Didnt get to try bottom end so no comment there.. Back to Back with 4g 9m Screamer - the 10m out jumps it heightwise obviously by what felt about 10- 15 feet. The 9m is my personal favourite because it turns fast with more consistent power through Megaloops and downloops, I like a kite you can kite hard with if called for. C kites - sure they pull consistent through a loop But... not with the same Rip you off the water power, 'mid way through at max power' that the 9 has obviously because of its strut & bridaled profile. As far as quality goes - Im still charging about jumping over other brand 2014 kites, on my 2011 Epic Screamer that was actually delivered to me late 2010.. and I kite harder than most, so make your own choice who says what, if I ever jump over you with it lol. I will get me a new one very shortly after playing on the 4g's .. dammit Just a reminder that these kites love rider input and the more aggressive you ride the bigger the reward you gets

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.

Postby Dimitri M » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:15 am

I guess the EPIC kites did get some attention during these demos. Nice report and thank you for taking the time to post all these reviews from different riders. :thumb:

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Westozzy » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:52 am

man one of those review looks so familiar... :D

added footnote...mike the guy you see in the pictures was out boosting and out mega looping everyone by a country mile. The next day he was throwing down some unhooked ralleys, s bends etc, powered as...good rider hey. Was great to watch from the shore and the water.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:32 am

Did you post one of these reviews Westozzy?

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Westozzy » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:07 am

Yeh on my local forum...Nigel put it here, I'm cool with that. Damn they go big Dimitri!!

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:29 am

Who is Mike..Shave the Wales?

EastCC
Medium Poster

Postby EastCC » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:39 am

No Mike isn't ShavetheWhales
Last edited by EastCC on Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:00 pm

Maybe we should have this grand mother "Granny Dee" test the SCREAMER models after she is done testing the INFINITY V3 light wind machine.

YOUTUBE:

[vimeo]VIMEO:[/vimeo]

Return to “Kitesurfing”