Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm
Has thanked: 0

Re: EpicKites 4G

Postby SupaEZ » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:12 pm

I may not be on your payroll...but it is your day.....enjoy.... National Boss Day of EPIC :wink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boss's_Day

:cheers: :surf: :sun:

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Prov
Favorite Beaches: Prov
little current
westbay
Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!
Been thanked: 0

Postby soul19 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:41 pm

Well today I got to take out the 3G screamer 10M Ltd in 15kts gusting to just over 20. I am a borderline intermediate and roughly 6'1" 200lbs. I have only ever used a 9M Eclipse Nano and didn't know what to expect from Epic. To be honest I would rank the Nano as on of the kites that I have owned in the past that I have truly hated!! I have not been overly keen on trying an Epic product and wasn't going to buy one just so that I could try it. Long story short, a guy was selling this 10M complete for such a good deal that I figured if it is a lemon than I could just dump it with no loss to me...... I have owned a lot of kites over the past few years and have finally come to understand what it is that I am looking for. Presently I am riding a North Vegas 9M and a 14M Evo. I love the way that the Vegas flies and up to this point it has been my go to kite when I want to have that ear grinning experience.
I am not going to go into build quality on the screamer as it has been well documented that it is well built. I am using an older Epic bar (Black) and find that it is actually a very nice bar. The North 5th and 4 line bars that I own are a step above but this bar works well and I quite fond of it. Many people have slagged this bar but to me it is a nice setup and people are just too damn picky. The bag is nice and big so that packing it down when the wind is blowing is super easy and greatly appreciated. Well thought out and one of the nicest bags out there (North could definitely take a page or two from Epic on how a bag should be).
This is definitely a kite that likes to be flown... park and play is not its strong suit. Don't get me wrong, this kite will park but it wants to be flown aggressively. For those that like the park and play it is not your kite. It is quite nimble and has medium bar pressure. I can say that this is a kite that suits me well. I am not a fan of the slow mushy steering kites and this one is far from it. It wants to be flown aggressively and the more that you throw this kite around the more power that it generates. I can feel the C inspired shape in the screamer 10M and it provided me one of the best sessions that I have had all year. I would not recommend this kite to someone starting out or even someone that wants a kite that hides all your mistakes.... it can and will punish driver errors. I don't want to state that this is the best kite that I have ever flown as I have only had one session and in time I will get a better sense of what I do and don't like about this design. As of now I will just say that it makes me want to reach for this kite over the Vegas and that is one great first impression.

James

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:20 pm

Whaooo.... that was fast Mr.soul19. :D
So you finally got the chance to try your SCREAMER 10 LTD (3G) model. This review will hopefully help other kiters choose the correct model for them, thank you for doing that. And yes the SCREAMER 10 LTD is for more advance kiters. This is why I call it the "Dimitri Maramenides" model and I don't recommend this particular kite for beginners or average kiters. And like you said in 15 to 20 knots you will need to move this kite so it generates power. But if you take it from 18 to 25++ knots you won't need to move it that much. But once again like you said...this kite was designed for aggressive riders that like to boost and scream while in the air.
Now the SCREAMER 10 LTD (4G) is on another level. If you like the S10 ltd (3G) I think you are in for a treat with the S10 ltd (4G).
Thank you for the time you took to post your review.

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Prov
Favorite Beaches: Prov
little current
westbay
Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!

Postby soul19 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:35 am

Hey Dimitri I wouldn't say that the 10M LTD is an advanced kite as it is very easy to fly. What some people may find is that it does generate a lot of power and has quite fast and nimble steering. If you have someone that wants to use a kite that likes to be moved around a lot than this will be a good kite for them. It is what makes me think that I will enjoy this kite for some time. As I have stated before, I don't like delayed steering kites as I want the kite to move as I place the imput into the bar. The screamer did that very well and the bar pressure was nice and firm. You can see how the people who like a kite with some character will find this a very rewarding kite to fly. Others may find that it demands to much rider imput and will find that to be offsetting. From my very limited experience on this kite I can say that it is definitely a fun kite to use and I am hoping for more wind to see what the upper range of this kite is like.

James

Now I am wondering how this kite compares to the other screamers? Are they as responsive in their steering and as lively as a kite? Are they more tame and not as full on as the LTD? If the regular screamers carry the same handling characteristics than I am looking forward to adding one to the quiver. If they are different than the LTD than I feel that maybe the Judge kites are more for what I may be after. I don't like sloppy steering kites!!

KiteCulture
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Epic Renegades, Screamer LTD
Brand Affiliation: EPIC kites www.epickites.com

Postby KiteCulture » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:02 am

I use my 10 ltd for beginner lessons! It's very stable, low endis a little lighter the renegade but the relaunchis a to more difficult. Beginners have had just as much success at their first riders the renegade!
It's my fav kite

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:19 am

James,
I found the 3G S10 LTD kite to be very much as you describe it.
Yes, the Screamers are as responsive in their steering and as lively, they are as full on as the LTD.
Same handling characteristics, they are not sloppy steering kites.
The Screamer airframe is more rigid than the 3G S10 Limited Edition, more like your Rebel airframe.
The Screamers and the 4G S10 LTD have more hang time than the 3G S10 LTD.
The Screamers are not as C shaped as the 3G S10 LTD.
The jumps are very good on the 3G S10, but the biggest jumps of any kite I've ever been on were with the Screamer 9M. :o
I agree that the Screamers are not for sissies.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.

Postby Dimitri M » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:16 pm

Poster: soul19
Hey Dimitri I wouldn't say that the 10M LTD is an advanced kite as it is very easy to fly. What some people may find is that it does generate a lot of power and has quite fast and nimble steering. If you have someone that wants to use a kite that likes to be moved around a lot than this will be a good kite for them. It is what makes me think that I will enjoy this kite for some time. As I have stated before, I don't like delayed steering kites as I want the kite to move as I place the imput into the bar. The screamer did that very well and the bar pressure was nice and firm. You can see how the people who like a kite with some character will find this a very rewarding kite to fly. Others may find that it demands to much rider imput and will find that to be offsetting. From my very limited experience on this kite I can say that it is definitely a fun kite to use and I am hoping for more wind to see what the upper range of this kite is like.
Now I am wondering how this kite compares to the other screamers? Are they as responsive in their steering and as lively as a kite? Are they more tame and not as full on as the LTD? If the regular screamers carry the same handling characteristics than I am looking forward to adding one to the quiver. If they are different than the LTD than I feel that maybe the Judge kites are more for what I may be after. I don't like sloppy steering kites!!

James.

Hello James,
Again I would not recommend the SCREAMER 10 LTD for beginners because like you said the kite requires too much input from the rider in order to perform the way it should. It's like a Ferrari, you need to know how to drive it. And once you get dialed in then you will be Screaming like a girl when boosting. This is the reason why Momi and I designed the RENEGADE models for the all around riders. Any way to answer your question about the other SCREAMERS... Yes all the SCREAMER models feels a little like the SCREAMER 10 LTD, but with less testosterones especially the S12 & S14. So in few words the SCREAMER 7/9/10ltd are for more advance riders. But again any one can fly them if they want to.
:thumb:
On the other hand the JUDGE models are a different kite. Very stable, fast, amazing pop, good jumps, direct feel, very easy to relaunch but what they don't have is the hang time that the SCREAMER has. But look at Rocky Chatwell. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z38n5vrDVTQ. He use to ride only the JUDGE models but now he loves the SCREAMERS for all his wake style moves because the SCREAMERS keeps him up in the air much longer so he can have more time to do 1,2 or 3 tricks at the same time. So again it depends what's your style and what you want the kite to do for you.
Me personally, the SCREAMERS are the kite for my style of riding, so it's all up to you.
Attachments
Dimitri Screaming like a girl on the SCREAMER 4G.jpg

nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Loutsa Nissakia,Oropos,Vouliagmeni
Style: wave,bigair,megaloops,hydrofoil,wingfoil
Gear: Epic kites,BTS kiteboards,cohete surfboards,SAB,GAC hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites,GAC

Postby nikalaitzian » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:59 pm

Surf kite is gonna be even better than the Renegade 4G???? cant wait...

well this session is similar to yours D!!
Attachments
1379476_582522945137832_1426386764_n.jpg
1385732_582523185137808_266189261_n.jpg
1385503_582522928471167_297556235_n.jpg
1390686_582522801804513_1779277152_n.jpg
1234784_582524835137643_2005411599_n.jpg
994359_582525075137619_689772982_n.jpg

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:13 pm

nikalaitzian wrote: well this session is similar to yours D!!
Hey nik...since you were busting on me a bit on the other thread....surf kite...i got something for you
Did you know i get those type of conditions you are in in those photos about 10 times a year
Much bigger than that at times...from tropical systems or strong NE or SE...right off my beach

Just because a 19 is great to ride smaller waves 30-50% more year round ...
.....don't mean i don't kill it in large surf / strong wind on a 5....6 or 8 with surfboard :surf:

Not clear in your photos if you are on a surfboard...
....if you are on a twin-tip in the surf.... your session is then not similar to D.

BTW...I am not criticizing U or D

You both are radical in your own ways...as a wise man once said...we all share the same passion
:cheers:
Last edited by SupaEZ on Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:51 pm

It's all about having an epic time. This is from one of the Kiteboarding magazine that just came out.
I am so proud to be Greek.
:thumb:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-10-16 at 2.52.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-10-16 at 2.52.27 PM.png

Return to “Kitesurfing”