All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Backroll Kiteloop Help
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:59 pm 
Rare Poster

I'm having trouble with my backroll kiteloops. Here is a short video of a failed attempt from a couple of weeks ago. (Thought I'd post here as opposed to the snow forum, as there is more activity over here.)

I'm getting around on the rotation, but there is no upwards pull left in the kite to land me softly. After a wicked crash yesterday (not on film) I thought I'd seek advice.

Thoughts? Thanks!

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Backroll Kiteloop Help
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:09 pm 
Frequent Poster

I think you need more height,a lot more! Not sure what size kite but it seemed really slow.Might hold off starting loop till you're higher,at apex.You're landing while kite is completing loop. Props for doing it on land!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:43 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

u need more wind to megaloop so try a helicopter loop. megaloops you pull while you are going up. helicopter loops you start the pull after you reach the top of the jump. it will not give you a big yank but you should have a soft landing. In the video you are pulling while you are going up, not enough wind for the kite to complete the loop.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:00 pm 
Rare Poster

I'm on a 12m, 2013 Best TS.

Thanks for the tips guys!

Here's another attempt (a tad more amplitude)

http://youtu.be/HKEjX8l6TWI

Last edited by senorparker on Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:34 pm 
Medium Poster

Your second one was much better because your board was pointed downwind as you finished your loop.....that's where the board should be pointed. You have enough wind and height. You are over-rotating a bit (esp. on the first video), so wait until your back is to the kite (your spin is halfway around) before you pull the bar to loop the kite. If you time it correctly, the kite should pull you around in the second half of your spin and your board will be pointed downwind as you land. You'll feel the smooth landing, and then can ride off heelside to your left or continue to loop the kite back to the right for a nice toeside transition. Fun, fun. :thumb:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:47 am 
Very Frequent Poster

don't go higher! you gonna hurt yourself!!!

In the first video you over rotate...second was already better.

Give your rotation just an input for half a rotation...the looping kite will then pull you forward for the other half of the rotation.

This way you can't over rotate!

Good luck and let us know how it went!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:48 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Yep pulling to early.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:51 am 
Very Frequent Poster

There are two ways to do it and you are trying something in between. First one is in light wind like in the video. You start the spin without backing the kite to 12 so it will not yank you sideways. So spin first with the kite forward and loop the kite from that position. Second is higher wind and higher jump helicopter loop works best with kites flying deep in the window that jump just by sending them back to 12. So you want to actually jump high spin slowly and put your front hand on the bar so the kite returns forward of twelve as you flying backwards. Loop the kite as you pass 180 deg. If you do it right the higher you go the safer it will be.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:30 am 
Medium Poster

Dude - you need more speed, time your jump to do a slow half rotation so you feel the kite try to stop you in the air... Facing upwind.
Then crank the bar for the loop looking for your landing point - keep your legs straighter to slow your rotation to get the timing down..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:45 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Its nuts to tell people to go higher!!!!
Don't do it.
There is no way to do any kind of mega loop with that sized kite and light wind.

Now for the trick.
You are almost there. It seems to me that you are actually over rotating, and you are initiating the loop way too early.

Think of the up and down as two separate things.
Send the kite up to about 12 -1, as you sheet in.
Then initiate the rotation with your head...not board -> Look hard over your back shoulder. Your body will follow.
Once you are about half way round, pull hard on your back hand. it should pull you through the rest of your rotation, and give you a bit of downwind speed.
When you spot your landing follow it with your head.

Personally I would never try this on snow. My body would break into pieces.

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next