All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: rescuing someone in trouble...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:27 pm 
Frequent Poster

I did not want to pollute the important thread about the kid who drowned in St Lucia with technicalities. the Paper says 300' from shore, 100m, 4 lines length. Also that he tried to put the kid on the surfboard and he fell off.

What about dropping the board and body dragging the victim to shore. I would not attempt this 500m from shore or with an adult but with a kid would this have any chance to work? I think it is easy to keep the head of the person underwater while body dragging so it my not be the best option.

Now that we are all sitting in front of a computer sipping on a cup of tea and have time to reflect on this, does anyone has any idea on how to handle that kind of situation?

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: rescuing someone in trouble...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:40 pm 
Rare Poster

Dont get that news on santa lucia, but check this maybe useful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUykUYhekM8

I think one of the main issue is to handle the victims desperation when engage them -they will catch over the bar and your body...

Thanks,
Seb.

Post subject: Re: rescuing someone in trouble...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:22 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

There's no much issue with a 4 year old over powering you. Just grab them and haul them in. I don't think we know what happened in St Lucia. The only one who knows for sure is the kiter and he's in jail. We don't know if he was on a surfboard or twintip or if the boy drowned before he was able to get there. Or if he was carrying the boy piggyback like the police report said and he fell off and sank.

[ 3 posts ]